Dangerous animals!

Old Mar 30th 2007, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Maryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the rough
Default Dangerous animals!

Hi,
We are considering moving to Australia, and are doing as much research as possible. We are particularly looking at Perth. One question (out of thousands we have) is how does one cope with all the lovely insects and dangerous animals?!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dangerous animals!

You have to keep your house locked with bars on the windows. When you go out, you have to wear special clothes and a hat like bee keepers wear (or you could wear the traditional aussie one with lots of dangling corks).
Keep looking over your shoulder and make sure you always tell someone where you are going (eg, Woollies/Coles) and what route you are taking plus estimated time of return.
Never be without your mobile phone.
Make sure you keep a list of dangerous animal catchers alongside the local police numbers etc, just in case a dangerous animal should intercept your barricades.
Make sure you are up to date with life support techniques and first aid.
It's a hard life.
Are you up to it?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:38 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

Hi!

I lived in Aus all my life until I moved to the UK in 2002. I'm petrified of creepy crawlies yet I managed 24 years living with them. If I can do it - anyone can (although you don't really notice them to be honest as all houses I lived in had security fly screens on the windows)
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:38 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

Originally Posted by kitty4
You have to keep your house locked with bars on the windows. When you go out, you have to wear special clothes and a hat like bee keepers wear (or you could wear the traditional aussie one with lots of dangling corks).
Keep looking over your shoulder and make sure you always tell someone where you are going (eg, Woollies/Coles) and what route you are taking plus estimated time of return.
Make sure you keep a list of dangerous animal catchers alongside the local police numbers etc, just in case a dangerous animal should intercept your barricades.
It's a hard life.
Are you up to it?

Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:45 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Went for a visit last year didnt see anything 'dangerous' other than at Seaworld. C x
Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute

It's a hard life.
Are you up to it?
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Maryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Re: Dangerous animals!

Hi there. Did not want to appear totally paranoid but having not been to Australia (yet) and having three very small children I wondered what it was really like living in such a hot country with more poisonous animals than we have in the UK. I expect it will just be about educating our kids.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

billy flymo has a brilliant futurebilly flymo has a brilliant futurebilly flymo has a brilliant futurebilly flymo has a brilliant futurebilly flymo has a brilliant futurebilly flymo has a brilliant future

i think your in more danger staying in the uk!

Last edited by billy flymo; Apr 1st 2007 at 6:33 pm. Reason: forgot
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:42 pm
Banned

lord nigel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maryanne Cherry
Hi there. Did not want to appear totally paranoid but having not been to Australia (yet) and having three very small children I wondered what it was really like living in such a hot country with more poisonous animals than we have in the UK. I expect it will just be about educating our kids.
Your not moving to Bongo Bongo land Africa.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

billy flymo has a brilliant futurebilly flymo has a brilliant futurebilly flymo has a brilliant futurebilly flymo has a brilliant futurebilly flymo has a brilliant futurebilly flymo has a brilliant future

bongo bongo land yeh ive been there, a few times ! the animals kill you on the spot,the teeth are massive with blood dripping from the mouths nasty buggers!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:30 pm
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maryanne Cherry
Hi,
We are considering moving to Australia, and are doing as much research as possible. We are particularly looking at Perth. One question (out of thousands we have) is how does one cope with all the lovely insects and dangerous animals?!
Hi,

We also have small children (aged 6 and 2) and were very worried about this too at the start of the process (which, incidentally feels about 100 years ago!). Since then I have made sure that I have educated myself and the boys about the 'wildlife' over there and have stopped them from picking up spiders here so that it wont come as a shock when we get over there. If you do a search on here for spiders and snakes, you will see loads of threads with info and advice but dont worry about it, were going to Queensland so will encounter lots of 'beasties' but the people who already live there say we should be more worried about the road accidents etc so I have since relaxed about the whole thing.

Good luck!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:30 pm
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

It's a hard life.
Are you up to it?

Miaow Kitty!!!!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:36 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

carnt weigh it up myself

usually its what about the sharks / crocs

more people die each year in aus from falling coconuts than either of these

as for snakes not seen a one in 6 months in suburbia
i did however see one at o`reilies plateau ( up in the mountains ) and another in the yard of our new house ( acreage ) so they are there just not as prevalent as one would assume
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the Dropbears don't get you, you'll be fine
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:37 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

We're off to Cairns where they provide nets to protect you from the stingers but you're still not safe, look here....http://www.cairnspost.com.au/article...2722_news.html

OMG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.