Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dame Anita Roddick - R.I.P

Dame Anita Roddick - R.I.P

Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:37 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dame Anita Roddick - R.I.P

Founder of The Body Shop died of a brain haemorrhage aged 64.

BBC
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:41 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Dame Anita Roddick - R.I.P

I respected her until she sold out to Lancôme, at which point I added the Body Shop to my boycott list.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:44 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dame Anita Roddick - R.I.P

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I respected her until she sold out to Lancôme, at which point I added the Body Shop to my boycott list.
It was L'Oreal but yes I agree.
Why spend your whole life working on a certain ethos and becoming famous for it only to sell out at the last minute?

She did well though to raise the profile of cosmetics being tested on animals and how wrong and uneccessary it is.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:52 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Dame Anita Roddick - R.I.P

Originally Posted by Kapri
It was L'Oreal but yes I agree.
Why spend your whole life working on a certain ethos and becoming famous for it only to sell out at the last minute?
Ooops, L'Oreal not Lancôme. And yes, my thoughts exactly.

She did well though to raise the profile of cosmetics being tested on animals and how wrong and uneccessary it is.
Agreed. I have read that Body Shop products are still banned in China, because the Chinese government requires all cosmetics sold in China to be first tested on animals.

Ironically, L'Oreal tests its own products on animals...
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Ooops, L'Oreal not Lancôme. And yes, my thoughts exactly.

Agreed. I have read that Body Shop products are still banned in China, because the Chinese government requires all cosmetics sold in China to be first tested on animals.

Ironically, L'Oreal tests its own products on animals...
l'oreal do not test on animals anymore haven't done for some yrs now

very sad news about anita
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:55 pm
Happy migrant

[QUOTE=Vash the Stampede;5295835

Ironically, L'Oreal tests its own products on animals...[/QUOTE]

Yes - that's why people are so upset that they own The Body Shop.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:57 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by hitchcock71

very sad news about anita
Are you sure about that?
Some companies do not test the finished product on animals and call themselves cruelty free when in fact the individual ingredients are animal tested.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:00 pm
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: Dame Anita Roddick - R.I.P

Actually, they do:

L'Oreal has not tested its cosmetics on animals since 1990, but continues to test new ingredients on animals, as required under European law.
Guardian.

OK, so it's their ingredients - not their products, But it's still animal testing.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry i stand corrected

i thought they had stoped all animal testing but i was wrong
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:06 pm
Fighting my corner

sorry i stand corrected

i thought they had stoped all animal testing but i was wrong
They claim that they're intending to phase it out within 20 years. Exactly how they will achieve this in the face of European legislative requirements, remains unclear.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

If it's under European Law then wouldn't that mean everyone has to do it?

On a separate point, why are so many people dying at the moment? Usually I have little interest in the obits, but in the space of a week there's been the inspiring cancer marathon lady, pavarotti and the body shop woman. What's happening?!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:44 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by esperanza
If it's under European Law then wouldn't that mean everyone has to do it?
Currently, yes. But the EU has recently negotiated a multinational agreement that will see animal testing gradually phased out and abolished. This is due to commence in 2009. L'Oreal will have to move fast if it wants to keep up...

On a separate point, why are so many people dying at the moment? Usually I have little interest in the obits, but in the space of a week there's been the inspiring cancer marathon lady, pavarotti and the body shop woman. What's happening?!
It's all a matter of perspective.

If they hadn't been famous, they would have died anyway but you would not have known about them. It is only your familiarity with them that creates a sense of curious coincidence. In reality, there is no connection whatsoever.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:05 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Very sad news
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:16 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Respect where respect is due:

http://www.mcspotlight.org/beyond/co.../bodyshop.html

She certainly did a great job.

Andrew
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:59 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Very sad news. I had the pleasure of spending 4 weeks working as a temp in Hammersmith working with the woman who designed the Body Shops makeup products (can't recall her name cos she was a cow) and met Ms Roddick a couple of times and she was delightful. RIP Anita.