Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Current moan about primary education in WA

Wikiposts

Current moan about primary education in WA

Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current moan about primary education in WA

Originally Posted by wren
Wendy, I hear your voice of experience

It is hard not to worry about this though- all parents want their kids to do well.

On a more positive note I am so pleased with the increase in confidence my kids are showing... One of our motivations for leaving the UK was for a better life for the kids- they were in school with the local crack dealer's kids

We wouldn't be parents if we didn't worry about them ALL the time. I still worry about my oldest and he's nearly 20

Drugs were all over both my boys schools, so know just where you are coming from there!.

I asked my son the other week about drugs in his school here and he said 'Mum, they are everywhere. EVERYONE in my class smokes cigarettes' Don't know if he's just naive or he's hanging around with the nicer kids (hopefully).
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by worzel
My daughter was one of the youngest in her year in the UK and was struggling in some subjects, partly because of that. Hence she was losing confidence and hence interest. Over here she is one of the oldest, doing very well and thriving on the confidence. I agree kids are doing stuff that they would be doing a year earlier in the UK but I like that they focus on personal development, sports, social responsibility etc here. Let kids be kids for a while. They catch up by the time they leave high school.
I'm with this one too.
My daughter is dyslexic - she was youngest in her class and struggles. She started school at 4 years and 2 weeks already on special needs level 3. She didn't progress in 4 years in the uk to my mind barely at all and it took me 3 years to see ed psych.
She's been here 2 months, can now write stories on her own, has confidence and enjoys school and ed psche assessment was arranged in her first week.
I cannot praise this school and teacher enough so far.
She was cast aside in the uk - she has been included here. Brilliant.

She's a confident kid again willing to try anything once more unlike in the uk where she had started to hide herself away.

The other encouraging thing is - in her previous assessments in all other aspects other than writing she was in the top 10 percentile - they picked up on that straight away here and by giving her challenging subjects that she 'is' capable of doing they have again increased her confidence and ability to give things a go and not just left her sat in a corner feeling stupid like they did in the uk.

For me and my daughter its a big to her school and the teaching staff thus far.

And yes, after all she's just 9 - we're adults for long enough in our lives.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:49 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenix
I'm with this one too.
My daughter is dyslexic - she was youngest in her class and struggles. She started school at 4 years and 2 weeks already on special needs level 3. She didn't progress in 4 years in the uk to my mind barely at all and it took me 3 years to see ed psych.
She's been here 2 months, can now write stories on her own, has confidence and enjoys school and ed psche assessment was arranged in her first week.
I cannot praise this school and teacher enough so far.
She was cast aside in the uk - she has been included here. Brilliant.

She's a confident kid again willing to try anything once more unlike in the uk where she had started to hide herself away.

The other encouraging thing is - in her previous assessments in all other aspects other than writing she was in the top 10 percentile - they picked up on that straight away here and by giving her challenging subjects that she 'is' capable of doing they have again increased her confidence and ability to give things a go and not just left her sat in a corner feeling stupid like they did in the uk.

For me and my daughter its a big to her school and the teaching staff thus far.

And yes, after all she's just 9 - we're adults for long enough in our lives.
sounds like things have gone really well so far for your daughter.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

They have thanks. I think we fell on our feet with the teacher she has at the minute but it's an excellent start. Nothing sweeter than having her jump in the car and say she's had a great day at school.

Sorry haven't been up to Hillarys - still busy with one thing and another and no car today

They still on every thursday ?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:59 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

They have thanks. I think we fell on our feet with the teacher she has at the minute but it's an excellent start. Nothing sweeter than having her jump in the car and say she's had a great day at school.

Sorry haven't been up to Hillarys - still busy with one thing and another and no car today

They still on every thursday ?
Yep every thursday, come along when you are ready or if you fancy a coffee any other time let me know. I can venture out your way.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
Yep every thursday, come along when you are ready or if you fancy a coffee any other time let me know. I can venture out your way.
Sure - thats a good idea - are you free in the day time ?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Sure - thats a good idea - are you free in the day time ?
Yep, lady who lunches!
Old Jun 15th 2007, 9:37 am
Just Joined

epowell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I may be able to help you. My Nephew now lives in Dubai and to make sure he keeps up with his Maths I have signed him up with a fantastic internet based maths tutoring service which is based on the UK National Curriculum.

I pay a monthly subcription but I do beleive you can pay an annual subcription instead. They are currently doing a special introductory offer too at the moment and offering a guarantee.

It is all based on the internet so regardless of whether your is Middle East/Austrailia or UK you get the full UK National Curriculum. You also get updates to say how well your child is progressing. It bases all the maths concepts on your childs Maths age and not their actual age. I think is it fab

If you want to know more about it please email me.

Elaine