Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Current moan about primary education in WA

Current moan about primary education in WA

Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Current moan about primary education in WA

Maths homework last night for 8 year old:

1. How many shapes above? (4) How many are shaded in? (2)
2. How many shapes above? (3) How many are shaded in (1)
3. There are 5 bananas shown above. Colour in 3 of them.

etc etc etc etc

I'm spending an hour a week tutoring my child to keep pace with UK maths standards at age 8.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:35 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Current moan about primary education in WA

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

etc etc etc etc

I'm spending an hour a week tutoring my child to keep pace with UK maths standards at age 8.
I have a 12 year old. When i visited his school i was shocked at what they were learning. It was more like what a 7 year old would be doing.

I looked at his school books. Full of absolute garbage.

I rang the school up. They said if i felt this way maybe a change of school would be something to consider. I also said that if my kids were to return to UK they would suffer terribly with what they are behind with. His reply was he agreed that standards here in WA are low. Lack of teachers for a start. If a child is to be educated in OZ and live in OZ he couldn't see it being a problem. If that child were to return to UK, he would see a problem.

This from the school head.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:41 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

etc etc etc etc

This is my daughters (year 4) homework from 2 nights ago. We do the same, not to keep up with the UK as we won't be returning but to ensure she is challenged more than she is currently.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IMG.pdf (487.7 KB, 138 views)
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:10 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was one of the youngest in her year in the UK and was struggling in some subjects, partly because of that. Hence she was losing confidence and hence interest. Over here she is one of the oldest, doing very well and thriving on the confidence. I agree kids are doing stuff that they would be doing a year earlier in the UK but I like that they focus on personal development, sports, social responsibility etc here. Let kids be kids for a while. They catch up by the time they leave high school.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
They catch up by the time they leave high school.
I'm not convinced by this.

The Australians which I've taught in international schools rarely shone above their Asian or UK counterparts. Some did (can't recall any that did from WA!!), many didn't.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:16 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
My daughter was one of the youngest in her year in the UK and was struggling in some subjects, partly because of that. Hence she was losing confidence and hence interest. Over here she is one of the oldest, doing very well and thriving on the confidence. I agree kids are doing stuff that they would be doing a year earlier in the UK but I like that they focus on personal development, sports, social responsibility etc here. Let kids be kids for a while. They catch up by the time they leave high school.
What he said.

Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
What he said.

Thirded

I've even dropped my daughter down a year, she is doing MUCH better
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not convinced by this.

The Australians which I've taught in international schools rarely shone above their Asian or UK counterparts. Some did (can't recall any that did from WA!!), many didn't.
The singapore friends who went back had kids in grade 11 10 9 and 5, all way behind when they returned to Singapore in january. Canadian mates this year kids grade 9 and 6 saying same thing, thats QLD.

Of course the upside is everones kids love school, same as I would love work if I didnt have to do any
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

People in WA should note that the reason that NSW and VIC are not keen on a national curriculum is that they fear they'll have to DROP their standards in order to find some sort of common ground with other states.

My kids' primary and high school education (in NSW) was as rigorous as I remember my own education being... and I was an 11+ passer who went to one of the original Grammar Schools.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:51 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by NickyC
People in WA should note that the reason that NSW and VIC are not keen on a national curriculum is that they fear they'll have to DROP their standards in order to find some sort of common ground with other states.

My kids' primary and high school education (in NSW) was as rigorous as I remember my own education being... and I was an 11+ passer who went to one of the original Grammar Schools.
Yes i agree. It does look like WA has a system that is lower in standards than other states.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Yes i agree. It does look like WA has a system that is lower in standards than other states.
I think you're right.

Another reason why the Department for Education and Training here in WA should hang its head in shame.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northernbird
This is my daughters (year 4) homework from 2 nights ago. We do the same, not to keep up with the UK as we won't be returning but to ensure she is challenged more than she is currently.

Clever girl got all the answers right

Seriously, I agree that standards are low here in WA. My 5yr old (pre primary) is just starting to be taught numbers 1-10!!!! By the time he left playgroup in the UK he could count to 100, remember the days of the week, months of the year etc. He knew the alphabet.

When I asked when they would be starting phonics/ bringing books home to read the teacher looked horrified, said "Oh they don't do that until Year 1 and even then it's for the parents to read to them"

If we were to return to the UK he would be way behind by now.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:19 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wren
If we were to return to the UK he would be way behind by now.
But it wouldn't take long for a child so young to catch up. I know someone who took her Ozzie born 9 yr old back to the UK. It took him about 3 months to catch up in most subjects.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:25 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
But it wouldn't take long for a child so young to catch up. I know someone who took her Ozzie born 9 yr old back to the UK. It took him about 3 months to catch up in most subjects.
I agree Tracey. We moved back to UK from Canada when my daughter (now 9) had just turned 6. She had been in Canadian schooling for 5 months, had missed Reception year and 5 months of year 1. Within a couple of months she had caught up and even surpassed some other kids.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree Tracey. We moved back to UK from Canada when my daughter (now 9) had just turned 6. She had been in Canadian schooling for 5 months, had missed Reception year and 5 months of year 1. Within a couple of months she had caught up and even surpassed some other kids.
Gosh that is worrying - my 5 year old would find that too simple, she is the eldest in reception class and as it is going to year one for alot of her work, my 7 (nearly 8) year old in year 3 (UK) is the youngest in her year but even so she is already doing Maths that I struggle to help her with *blush*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.