Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Current moan about primary education in WA

Wikiposts

Current moan about primary education in WA

Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:59 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current moan about primary education in WA

Originally Posted by Gonnago
Gosh that is worrying - my 5 year old would find that too simple, she is the eldest in reception class and as it is going to year one for alot of her work, my 7 (nearly 8) year old in year 3 (UK) is the youngest in her year but even so she is already doing Maths that I struggle to help her with *blush*
Well you must have an exceptionally bright 5 year old then.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:00 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gonnago
Gosh that is worrying - my 5 year old would find that too simple, she is the eldest in reception class and as it is going to year one for alot of her work, my 7 (nearly 8) year old in year 3 (UK) is the youngest in her year but even so she is already doing Maths that I struggle to help her with *blush*
You can always ask the schools to put your kids up a year - they will do it sometimes if you are insistent. But then you have the issue of social interaction between kids of different ages.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:02 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
You can always ask the schools to put your kids up a year - they will do it sometimes if you are insistent. But then you have the issue of social interaction between kids of different ages.
It is very rare. I have been trying to get my youngest moved from Kindy into pre-primary and despite her kindy teachers telling me she is a future PEAC student and is both academically and socially streets ahead of the other kids in her class they will not budge.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Maths homework last night for 8 year old:

1. How many shapes above? (4) How many are shaded in? (2)
2. How many shapes above? (3) How many are shaded in (1)
3. There are 5 bananas shown above. Colour in 3 of them.

etc etc etc etc

I'm spending an hour a week tutoring my child to keep pace with UK maths standards at age 8.
Just wondering NK,is your child in a private school? Is the teacher old school and a bit set in their ways?

My 7 yr old son, yr 2, is currently spending a lot of time on place value in maths classes. His teacher is newly qualified and really quite on the ball and is teaching using game playing (trading, dominoes, cards etc). He's learning heaps and the focus is on using mental strategies. I can't praise his teacher highly enough.

Then again, I've had no experience of the UK school system, so I can't really compare it to where he would be there.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:07 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
It is very rare. I have been trying to get my youngest moved from Kindy into pre-primary and despite her kindy teachers telling me she is a future PEAC student and is both academically and socially streets ahead of the other kids in her class they will not budge.
Maybe it differs school to school then? I would imagine moving from kindy to pre-primary is more difficult than just a year within primary too.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess a lot must depend on the school - my 9 and 11 year old are doing work which I consider to be on a par if not further advanced than they were in the UK. In addition to that they have fitness EVERY day, are taught to speak in front of an audience, eldest does ballroom dancing (to pop music), have projects which are relevant and interesting and both absolutely love school and are learning as opposed to just being taught how to pass an exam. I'm much happier with the schools here.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

You must be so frustrated C, knowing your girl is capable of so much more and she's not being extended.

There are a few issues with 'gifted' kids who are not challenged; distruptive behaviour in later school years due to boredom, the inability to socially interact with kids their own age to name a couple.

If she is not assessed for PEAC, using the usual methods and by a psychologist who specializes in this field, by the time she is in middle primary, I would really start to stamp my feet if I were you.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:14 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Maybe it differs school to school then? I would imagine moving from kindy to pre-primary is more difficult than just a year within primary too.
Yes I agree Worzel, it is different but frustrating.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:15 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by ohippy
I guess a lot must depend on the school - my 9 and 11 year old are doing work which I consider to be on a par if not further advanced than they were in the UK. In addition to that they have fitness EVERY day, are taught to speak in front of an audience, eldest does ballroom dancing (to pop music), have projects which are relevant and interesting and both absolutely love school and are learning as opposed to just being taught how to pass an exam. I'm much happier with the schools here.
Exactly. You don't need to be forcing stuff into kids heads on a rote basis at this age. I had a brilliant primary school teacher who encouraged me to ask questions of everything, not assume, form my own opinions etc. I hope my daughter gets that sort of guidance rather than instruction at this stage.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:15 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by TraceyW
You must be so frustrated C, knowing your girl is capable of so much more and she's not being extended.

There are a few issues with 'gifted' kids who are not challenged; distruptive behaviour in later school years due to boredom, the inability to socially interact with kids their own age to name a couple.

If she is not assessed for PEAC, using the usual methods and by a psychologist who specializes in this field, by the time she is in middle primary, I would really start to stamp my feet if I were you.
It is frustrating but I have given up stamping my feet for now but will keep an eye on it.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The singapore friends who went back had kids in grade 11 10 9 and 5, all way behind when they returned to Singapore in january. Canadian mates this year kids grade 9 and 6 saying same thing, thats QLD.

Of course the upside is everones kids love school, same as I would love work if I didnt have to do any
I don't know if your Singaporean friends were Asians or expats but I would not wish the Asian method of education on my kids. In KL the asian kids (Korean, Japanese, Malaysian etc) are constantly doing extra tuition classes, then extra homework from school then extra homework from the tuition class!! One of them in my son's class (age 7) falls asleep at lunchtime because he's not getting to bed until very late because of all the extra pressure. You never see them out playing, kicking a ball around etc.

We've moved countries 3 times now and no matter which curriculum, Scottish, British International or American International the kids take around 3 to 4 months to settle in and catch up/adjust. In the end all I want is for them to be happy, confident and to enjoy their childhood - so what if they are behind another country's curriculum, in the big scheme of things - it all comes out in the wash?

Galba

PS I'm a teacher
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly why my daughter has been moved. She really couldn't keep up with a class full of 8+ year olds at age 7

Don't do it, really. Let her be a kid, she's got plenty of time for studying
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Of course we all want our kids to be happy, well rounded and sociable... but I want them to achieve their full potential academically as well. Eventually they may want to stand on the world stage and actually leave WA! So, it is important that they do well at school.

Maybe they do catch up eventually

I think there is a honeymoon period when you arrive from the UK... it's good the kids are ahead because it enable's them to focus on settling in etc. After this you just want them to get stuck in and achieve what they are capable of.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wren
Of course we all want our kids to be happy, well rounded and sociable... but I want them to achieve their full potential academically as well. Eventually they may want to stand on the world stage and actually leave WA! So, it is important that they do well at school.

Maybe they do catch up eventually

I think there is a honeymoon period when you arrive from the UK... it's good the kids are ahead because it enable's them to focus on settling in etc. After this you just want them to get stuck in and achieve what they are capable of.

In my experience your kids will do well if they want to. All they need is some support from their parents and teachers, if the teachers aren't doing their part then move them to somewhere where they will.

My oldest son went to one of the worst schools in our county in the UK, but he did really well because his teachers helped him to as he was willing to put in the effort. He's now gone onto University and he's getting top results there too.

My younger son went to one of the better schools in our area, but he didn't want to be there or learn, so they just left him to it, no support, no liaising with me and his Dad they literally just ignored him until they had to write a report.

He's doing better here because it's more fun and he doesn't feel like he's pressured like he was in the UK (his words). His school reports and grades have improved so much it's amazing, it's like they are teaching a different kid.

So, whist its is important for kids to do well at school a lot of it is down to them.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wendy

So, whist its is important for kids to do well at school a lot of it is down to them.

Wendy, I hear your voice of experience

It is hard not to worry about this though- all parents want their kids to do well.

On a more positive note I am so pleased with the increase in confidence my kids are showing... One of our motivations for leaving the UK was for a better life for the kids- they were in school with the local crack dealer's kids

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.