Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Crispy Duck and Pancakes -no pancakes!!!

Wikiposts

Crispy Duck and Pancakes -no pancakes!!!

Old Jan 14th 2011, 6:41 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crispy Duck and Pancakes -no pancakes!!!

Anyone know where u buy the pancakes for this? It's the Crispy Duck, hoisin sauce and spring onions that you then wrap in the pancakes, but like a dumbass I bought rice paper today by accident!!! EEEEK! LOL
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:11 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crispy Duck and Pancakes -no pancakes!!!

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Anyone know where u buy the pancakes for this? It's the Crispy Duck, hoisin sauce and spring onions that you then wrap in the pancakes, but like a dumbass I bought rice paper today by accident!!! EEEEK! LOL
oooh.. I'd love to know too. Our Chinese takeaway do a lovely crispy duck but you get all of 4 pancakes with it.. and they charged us a $1 for each extra one!! (I don't think anyone had ever asked for extra pancakes before, it kind of threw them)
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:18 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
oooh.. I'd love to know too. Our Chinese takeaway do a lovely crispy duck but you get all of 4 pancakes with it.. and they charged us a $1 for each extra one!! (I don't think anyone had ever asked for extra pancakes before, it kind of threw them)
HAHA we ended up using flour tortillas tonight, fine yes, but the little pancakes are so dainty and cute and well, especially for the crispy duck! I remember, back in my UK days buying the whole thing, the shredded duck, 10 pancakes, a little sachet of hoisin, all for £2.50 from ICELANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD LOL

PS We ended up using this range: http://www.luvaduck.com.au/ - 2 peking duck breasts for $19!!! Not bad at all!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I bought them from my local asian mart.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:51 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I bought them from my local asian mart.
The proper little bready like thin papery like pancakey thingies?!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Think so, (haven't bought them since and they are long gone) - find your local store and ask for them....you might be suprised.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:00 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Think so, (haven't bought them since and they are long gone) - find your local store and ask for them....you might be suprised.
Coolio, ta!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:20 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Make your own - I use this recipe and they come out great http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...inese-pancakes
I also make my own crispy duck
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-peking-duck
Tastes lovely!!!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:20 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Coolio, ta!
I made them. They turned out very well too.

Ingredients : (makes about 40 pancakes)

4 cups Plain flour (all-purpose flour)

1 1/2 cups Boiling water

1 tablespoon Sesame oil

Method :
• Place the un-sifted flour in a mixing bowl.
• Make a well in the center and add the boiling water, stirring rapidly with a fork.
• Knead the dough well on a lightly floured surface until it is smooth and firm.
• Return the dough to the mixing bowl, cover and leave to stand for 1 hour.
• Knead the dough briefly on a lightly floured surface and roll into a sausage 4 cm in diameter.
• Pull it apart with your fingers to make about 40 equal sized pieces.
• Roll the pieces between your hands to make smooth balls, making sure that they are all the same size.
• Lightly oil the fingers and palms of your hands and flatten each ball until it is 5 mm thick.
• Brush the top with sesame oil.
• Place one piece of dough on top of another, oiled sides facing, and roll out into a pancake about 15 cm across.
• Heat the frying pan and brush the bottom with sesame oil.
• Add the paired pancakes to the skillet one at a time.
• Cook over a medium heat for 30 seconds, turn and cook the other side for 30 seconds.
• Pull the paired pancakes apart with your fingers to make two thin pancakes.
• Place them on a large piece of foil, one on top of the other, oiled side up.
• Wrap them in the foil and steam for 30 minutes.
• Serve as an accompaniment to Peking Duck.
• Any pancakes left over can be wrapped in foil and kept in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

You talking about wonton wrappers?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:52 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
You talking about wonton wrappers?
Rice flour thingies
Old Jan 14th 2011, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

The freezer dept at an Asian supermarket. We get loads of goodies in our local Asian. Huge choice of mango chutneys for a start.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 9:33 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

I now may have to go on a mission to find duck for tonight, I need it now after reading this!
I couldn't be arsed to cook so I ate a ham salad wrap for dinner
Old Jan 14th 2011, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

the rice paper would work too but obviously not the same.I fill them with raw vegetables and avocado for kids lunches.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Rice flour thingies
The pancakes for Peking duck is plain flour, not rice flour. Asian stores in Sunnybank sell them.

While we're on the subject, can I recommend a great place for Peking duck? I've been living in Brisbane for 6 1/2 years and only 2 weeks ago did I go to a Chinese restaurant in Cannon Hill for crispy duck for the very first time. I've had good crispy duck dozens of times in Hong Kong and in Beijing, and this one was definitely up there with the best. The chef slices the perfectly cooked skin in front of you, and removes the thin layer of fat completely. I wish my friend had told me about it before, as I had passed that place many a times.

Mrs JTL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.