Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Jan 6th 2014, 2:47 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Originally Posted by Beoz
Personally I think Australia will get done over in SAF and quite heavily. The batting is just not there yet.
Agreed.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

berserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

5-0...
WTF????
5-0!!!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:11 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by berserk
5-0...
WTF????
5-0!!!
Forest ?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:45 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Forest ?
Not as good as beating that shower up the road 2-0, then drawing Coventry at home
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
You don't know anything about my circumstances so don't make ignorant statements about why I married who I did and why I didn't post 3 years ago. I don't have to justify myself to you. Have a look how much I posted during the losing 2013 series.

You've tried the you don't know about Melbourne so what would you know, others have tried the you don't know anything about sport so what would you know, you've tried the you shouldn't be posting on here because it's for BE's, you've tried the your crowds aren't as witty and entertaining as ours, our spectators don't get thrown out like yours, your grounds aren't as small and atmospheric as ours, your team is average and you lastly plumbed the depths of crassness with your SCG is the home of cricket line.

FWIW I am a proud Scot (more than Brit) as well as an Aussie - I've lived half my life in each country; not through convenience but choice.

Just to check with you first - is it ok if I don't post much for the next 3 months - we'll be in Melbourne.

Pathetic losers some of you Poms - not all, some.
Toughen up princess.

I knew the SCG would get you, typical uptight Melburnian.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
You dont see the irony of you complaining about someone making assumptions about your life and circumstances when that is exactly what you have done on many occassions. You arent as bad as a few others but still guilty as charged. My advice is toughen up
Congratulations on your rare 2 line post where the smilies aren't more than 50% of the post.

5-0, 5-0, 5-0. Only been done 3 times in 58, 5 test series; all by Australia. Cook, Bell, Pieterson, Anderson and Panesar have the unique distinction of being whitewashed twice. 'Embarrassing' (Botham); 'Gutless' (Sky News); 'Spineless' (one of the red tops); 'where do we go from here?' (Sky News); 'couldn't be bothered watching after Perth it was so one-sided and predictable (my brother).
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:32 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I've got nothing, by the way.

Utterly outplayed for the entire series, a pitiful display apart from Root, Carberry and Stokes (some may argue, but I see potential).

The 3-0 previous series result in Eng was clearly a false dawn, Aus will get clobbered in SA due to their batting as has been previously noted but no complaints about this one, shocking ...
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

So over many beers, spirits and other assortment of shots, last night we decided the future of both cricketing nations lies here.

England

Sure the batting is a bit ropey but so is Australia's. There are 2 keys here for future success.

1. Get some decent bowlers. James Anderson is past it on wickets without swing and a duke ball. Sure he may have got 24 wickets in his last tour down under, but those pitches were stupidly doctored green tops, ordered by Cricket Australia to produce results. Take a look at the bowling attack of 05. Harmison, Hoggard, Flintoff and Jones. They were the difference between Oz and England back then. Fast forward to 2014 and Australia's attack. Both Eng 05 and Oz 2014 bowlers were aggressive wicket takers. Leaving it to Broad and Stokes is not going to win you anything. You need a couple of other's that are going to present constant threats.

2. Get a new captain. As Boycs said. "You'd love Cook as a son in law". The captain needs some mongrel, some fight, some **** you. Cook hasn't got that in him. Nor has he got the nous when in the field. So who has. Well why not give Stuart Broad a shot. There's a guy who loves a fight, you can pester and bully that boy and he won't take a backward step. There's nothing to loose by trying Broad as captain.

Australia

The South Africa tour is going to be a big test. A massive test.

1. Australia needs to get their batting sorted out. It was kind of like Australia went into the Ashes with the attitude "Our batting is screwed but so is there's so lets just kill them with the ball". Kind of a bit like Eng in 05 and it worked. Will this work in South Africa - potentially not. South Africa have Alma and a few other boys who may know how to duck under a 150 km/h Johnson ball and pick and choose their shots, but equally SAF have some decent bowlers who could tear the Australian top order apart - unlike England have.

Personally I think Australia will get done over in SAF and quite heavily. The batting is just not there yet.
Good Post
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I've got nothing, by the way.

Utterly outplayed for the entire series, a pitiful display apart from Root, Carberry and Stokes (some may argue, but I see potential).

The 3-0 previous series result in Eng was clearly a false dawn, Aus will get clobbered in SA due to their batting as has been previously noted but no complaints about this one, shocking ...
Agreed, England will need to rebuild around those 3 and Broad and squeeze a bit more out of Cook, Anderson, Bell and Pieterson. Trott and Prior may come back; Haddin and Johnson did after setbacks. Perhaps the turning point in the balance of power as far as the Ashes goes was Clarke insisting that Haddin be back in the team as his vice-captain as well as getting rid of Arthur and getting Lehmann in; along with Johnson going away and working his backside off and getting great advice on changing his run-up, action and psyche.

It of course remains to be seen how the series against the Saffers will go. Weaknesses in the batting sure but at least someone always stepped in and who is to say they won't continue to do that; only time will tell. Once out under 200 in 9? Steyn is a genuinely great bowler and will be the threat; Amla, Smith and AB De Villiers great too - so nice of him to get named after Alan Border. It's grasping at straws to suggest someone else will do what you couldn't do yourself i.e. beat Australia.

England are lucky in that they get Sri Lanka next up so would probably do well even with the current team. India follow but it's in England and they don't have the pace attack and their spinners won't be as effective as they usually are at home. India arguably has the best batting line up of any team.

Interesting times ahead. Has there been any mention of Haddin retiring or going to SA?

Last edited by OzTennis; Jan 6th 2014 at 11:57 am.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

not a good look this bitching lark, love or hate the Aussies they deserve their win and should be congratulated.

We'll be back I'm sure with the mighty Barmy Army, and a new team but til then sleep well and never shag a black toothed woman
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
not a good look this bitching lark, love or hate the Aussies they deserve their win and should be congratulated.

We'll be back I'm sure with the mighty Barmy Army, and a new team but til then sleep well and never shag a black toothed woman
Have to say. The army stayed right through the presentation. They stood and applauded the Aussie team when the did the lap of honour. They were very quiet which was a shame as they add to the atmosphere but they were excellents sports. Well done to the army.

Yeah not sure about the bickering thing. Looks like a few bitters are targeting our one eyed Melbourne friend.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:25 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Have to say. The army stayed right through the presentation. They stood and applauded the Aussie team when the did the lap of honour.
Very reluctantly. Overall, there wasn't much clapping from the BA:

"This is the worst time as a player when the opposition are celebrating but you have to use it as motivation. This has been an absolute hammering. Barring day three at the MCG, England have not been in it. Even the Barmy Army are dejected, they are not clapping very much."
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So after the recent SA v IN series, SA increase their lead at No.1, India stay 2nd but drop points and AU replace EN at 3rd, who drop to 4th. Oh well, at least they've got, how was it put on BE?, the 'only series that matter's' - The Ashes.........

.......doh!
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Wow, no lbws for England in the first 4 tests

A telling statistic

Big Vern is going to lbw Australia's ass in February
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
that's a bit like condemning someone for not belly laughing at a funeral, stupid thing to say

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.