Crap from the past

Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crap from the past

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
No they aren't! I was this person then too. And yes, lighter fuel and the bbq. Bring it on.

That's the way I think too, K. Plus if I pip it tomorrow, I won't have to leave everyone with a load of crap to go through.

I was laughing at my bloke last night who has a gift, bought by someone he was once in a relationship with and it's a bit old and knackered. So I asked if I bought him a new one, would he wear it... and he said no because he was emotionally attached to the item...
which made me laugh a lot... mainly because he's attached to something from a failed relationship yet wouldn't wear the new item... from his emotionally successful relationship....
I admit, I was just being arsey and putting the counter argument. What you do with the detritus from a previous relationship depends on how that previous relationship ran its course and ended . . . full of emotion - molotov cocktail . . . more a petering out then why get rid? . . . Breville toasted sandwich makers don't come cheap . . .
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:42 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
But presumably when he received the original gift the relationship was successful and there are good memories related to the object. Just because the relationship eventually failed, doesn't take away the good bits. Your children are good bits from your failed relationship, I don't imagine you are getting rid of them?
My point is missing obviously.

It's not the hanging on to it, it was the *If I purchased him a new one, would he wear it...? No he'd rather hang onto the old one because of the sentimentality. Yet the one I buy wouldn't have any sentimentality?*

See, I just find that odd and slightly amusing. In fact, I had one of those moments of giggling uncontrollably at the reasoning behind it. Oh, that and the 30 year music lesson. But that's another story.

As for my relationship with my ex husband, that rather depends on whether I classify it as 'failed' doesn't it?!! There's no failure, only learning in my life.
And I'd never link my children to anything with the word 'fail' in it... Their father is part of them, so if I reject his role in their upbringing, then I reject them. Far too harmful.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My point is missing obviously.

It's not the hanging on to it, it was the *If I purchased him a new one, would he wear it...? No he'd rather hang onto the old one because of the sentimentality. Yet the one I buy wouldn't have any sentimentality?*

See, I just find that odd and slightly amusing. In fact, I had one of those moments of giggling uncontrollably at the reasoning behind it. Oh, that and the 30 year music lesson. But that's another story.

As for my relationship with my ex husband, that rather depends on whether I classify it as 'failed' doesn't it?!! There's no failure, only learning in my life.
And I'd never link my children to anything with the word 'fail' in it... Their father is part of them, so if I reject his role in their upbringing, then I reject them. Far too harmful.
No your point wasn't missing but we all have 'stuff' that we're sentimental about for whatever reason, it may have nothing to do with who gave it, why they gave it etc, it could be that it brings to mind a day, an hour, a minute of brilliance, or a smell or anything. Just because he got the item from an ex doesn't stop that item being a bit of 'stuff'. If you get what I mean.

Not the same thing but I have one cut glass tumbler that was one of a set that my grandparents owned. I have it and look after it because it brings to mind a summer day in their garden and the smells and memories are in that glass but I don't have it because it was the grandparents, they weren't great people and I don't miss them (the mother's parents ) it's because it's a tangible memory of a brief moment in time.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by spartacus
I admit, I was just being arsey and putting the counter argument. What you do with the detritus from a previous relationship depends on how that previous relationship ran its course and ended . . . full of emotion - molotov cocktail . . . more a petering out then why get rid? . . . Breville toasted sandwich makers don't come cheap . . .

You, being arsey?

I must say, I am surprised how expensive those toastie things are!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No your point wasn't missing but we all have 'stuff' that we're sentimental about for whatever reason, it may have nothing to do with who gave it, why they gave it etc, it could be that it brings to mind a day, an hour, a minute of brilliance, or a smell or anything. Just because he got the item from an ex doesn't stop that item being a bit of 'stuff'. If you get what I mean.
Well I'm glad it wasn't missing. I have things I'm sentimental about.. my grandmother's china on the dresser here, her ginger jar on the mantelpiece, so I do get it.
Yes, the item my bloke owns, he says 'It's just a thing'... but wouldn't wear a new one bought by me... so it's more than just a 'thing' isn't it?
I really find this interesting how people hold things with them. It's fine, the item isn't an object of obsession. It doesn't make me want to go through his stuff and cut the heads off his old girlfriend or anything (actually, his ex wife got rid of those photographs anyway!!!)...I'm just really interested how people attach huge significance to things.

Not the same thing but I have one cut glass tumbler that was one of a set that my grandparents owned. I have it and look after it because it brings to mind a summer day in their garden and the smells and memories are in that glass but I don't have it because it was the grandparents, they weren't great people and I don't miss them (the mother's parents ) it's because it's a tangible memory of a brief moment in time.
That's really interesting... you attach the moment, I attach the person.
Fascinating isn't it!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:06 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

My 1988 Barberton Beerfest Mug. I loved beer so much back then and we have remained best friends ever since .
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:07 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

What crap/sentimental stuff do you carry with you from the past into your present relationships?

IE - photographs of your ex girlfriends, or are they still 'best friends' even years later?

Is your partner ok with it?

Do men and women view carrying 'history' forward with them differently?

1000 words, double spaced, marks out of 20.
Off you go.
just the sentimental stuff for me, you know the usual.

rings, photos, used condoms etc
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:19 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

I have a hard drive full of nude photos and videos of ex GFs. But I guess that’s not the romantic answer you were looking for…
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:23 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I have a hard drive full of nude photos and videos of ex GFs. But I guess that’s not the romantic answer you were looking for…
depends, were they aware of the photos being taken?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by paulry
My 1988 Barberton Beerfest Mug. I loved beer so much back then and we have remained best friends ever since .
Awww., true love.

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
just the sentimental stuff for me, you know the usual.

rings, photos, used condoms etc
Awww, memories.

I wasn't looking for a romantic answer at all!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:28 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

depends, were they aware of the photos being taken?
absolutely. Im not a pervert thanks very much.

Half the time it was the GFs idea.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:47 am
I'm Old Gregg!

absolutely. Im not a pervert thanks very much.

Half the time it was the GFs idea.
shame
Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Breville toasted sandwich makers don't come cheap . . .
That made me laugh!

I was given a microwave by a boyfriend in 1990. We broke up a year later and I met my husband another year later. We still use that microwave!

I sometimes marvel at how long the microwave has lasted. But I don't actually think of it as "oh, it was a present from X". It has no sentimental value for me. And the day it stops working it'll be thrown out and we'll buy a new one.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that the new ones now have grill edges to burn a smart grid over your sandwich..time for a change after all?

Actually I believe people are quite entitled to have sentimental attachment to things despite old, failed relationships. It might be an attachment to the item itself of course and not some dubious sign of not letting go.

My wife has a few of these sorts of things and I encourage it. If I got precious about it - that could cause issues in itself. Maybe it would show insecurity (who knows - I tend not to do argey-bargey play-politics in relationships - refuse to).
Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:07 pm
Not allowed opinions.

shame
funny how a camera can either bring the best or the worst out in a girl....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.