Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

COVIDSafe successfully installed

COVIDSafe successfully installed

Old May 1st 2020, 10:26 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVIDSafe successfully installed

Originally Posted by the troubadour
As I wrote. The technology was found wanting. (meaning it did not live up to promise)Even with the conservative nature of many Aussies,. if Singaporeans cannot be convinced, a state well versed in authoritarian control over the decades , not a lot of hope for others to be coerced.
A lot of skepticism in certain European countries as well, especially those that have lived under a authoritarian past.
According to this lot, we in Britain's last penal colony should give ourselves a big pat on the back!

Old May 1st 2020, 10:28 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
What was it found wanting for? What was the promise?

Sounds like the paranoia is clouding what you are expecting it to do. It's not supposed to kill the virus. It's designed to help contact tracing.

Singaporeans only do what they are forced to do. Singapore never forced the app.
Yep. It's only a piece of the puzzle needed to manage the CCP virus.
Old May 1st 2020, 10:29 am
Banned

Some guy in Senegal has my number. He keeps calling, and hangs up when I answer. I think he wants me to call back at a premium rate.
But maybe he's a long lost relative?
Old May 2nd 2020, 5:38 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that the app does not work on apple phones.

For the app to work, it needs to poll on bluetooth, and to do this on an iphone, the phone needs to be unlocked with the app running.
Old May 2nd 2020, 6:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles

For the app to work, it needs to poll on bluetooth, and to do this on an iphone, the phone needs to be unlocked with the app running.
Thats my understanding too
Old May 2nd 2020, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You still run an iPhone? That's old school.
Old May 2nd 2020, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
But maybe he's a long lost relative?
Like the Nigerian Price nephew of mine who keeps sending the messages about the fortune I am about to inherit?
Old May 2nd 2020, 8:05 am
Banned

This is Australia, its iPhone central here.

The app works with iOS 10
Old May 2nd 2020, 9:47 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

My grandson has an ipad and we use facetime still at the moment
Old May 2nd 2020, 9:48 am

This is Australia, its iPhone central here.

The app works with iOS 10
Are you sure - apple says bluetooth wont poll if phone is locked?
Old May 2nd 2020, 9:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...ional/12208924

More than 4 million people have downloaded the COVIDSafe app, but the information it collects is not yet available to state and territory health officials.The ABC has confirmed that if a person tests positive to coronavirus today, the information on their app will not be passed on to contact tracers, because states and territories are still working out how the system will operate.

"The rules on privacy are being finalised, along with final IT testing," a Department of Health spokesman said.

Diabetes Australia has received reports from a number of people who said they experienced connection problems with their continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) apps after downloading COVIDSafe.

A spokesman for Health Minister Greg Hunt said the matter was being examined by the Department of Health and the Digital Transformation Agency.

Diabetes Australia has recommended people temporarily uninstall COVIDSafe if they are concerned.
Old May 2nd 2020, 11:31 am
Banned

This. Also ensure the app is running on your phone:

Old May 2nd 2020, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are you sure - apple says bluetooth wont poll if phone is locked?
Both Apple and Google are making some changes to make sure these types of apps are running at their optimal levels. Other countries are coming on board too.
Old May 3rd 2020, 5:54 am

This. Also ensure the app is running on your phone: ....
Yes you can install the app, and it will run on an iphone, but bluetooth only works if the phone is unlocked.

My son has an ipad and if both are unlocked then you can detect the other device, otherwise nothing shows up.

So the only way COVIDSafe will work is if you are walking around using your phone. And then you still have the return 15 results from same device in 15 mins at 1.5m or less, and one or other tests positive for COVID 19 and releases the results.

Given that I go almost nowhere, and if I do then I don't walk around with my phone unlocked, I see no point in the app. Given the limitations, it seems rushed. Given the low numbers in most states, it seems unnecessary. But that's just me
Old May 3rd 2020, 7:38 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Both Apple and Google are making some changes to make sure these types of apps are running at their optimal levels.
The additions that google and apple are adding are for their own, privacy protecting, approach. It won't change the aussie government's app, or how it will not be running.

So the only way COVIDSafe will work is if you are walking around using your phone. And then you still have the return 15 results from same device in 15 mins at 1.5m or less, and one or other tests positive for COVID 19 and releases the results.
Yeah, particularly the way apple works there's not really multitasking and background tasks. Even google clamped down because those background tasks were eating battery life. Upshot is one of the reasons those in the know were saying not to touch this app - if its not in at the OS level, its not going to be any use because its a total pain in the arse to get the info (I'd looked into this before for another purpose).

It's also why I said that using location history was a much better bet - it's already built in and working, even if most people don't realise the reality. Exporting the time and locations from that and allowing apps on the personal phone to correlate with the location history of the individual would be more useful and immediately practical.

Still, it's all pretty academic now, providing the governments don't stuff up. You are more likely to find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow as find someone with the disease, that you have been 1.5m of, for 15mins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.