Cost of living?

Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:51 am
Just Joined

charliegee is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cost of living?

Hi,

I have been offered a position in Townsville but am a little unsure if the starting salary offered is going to provide me with a reasonable lifestyle. I would be grateful if anyone could post some examples of everyday running costs for the home, car, food, eating out and recreaction costs etc. Anything you could offer would be a help.

Thanks,
Charliegee
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:57 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living?

Originally Posted by charliegee
Hi,

I have been offered a position in Townsville but am a little unsure if the starting salary offered is going to provide me with a reasonable lifestyle. I would be grateful if anyone could post some examples of everyday running costs for the home, car, food, eating out and recreaction costs etc. Anything you could offer would be a help.

Thanks,
Charliegee
Start with the 'search' option on yellow/peach menu bar, looking for cost of living and Townsville to begin your search and then get back to us with specifics.

We are dolts. You need to keep this as simple as possible for us.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by busterboy
Start with the 'search' option on yellow/peach menu bar, looking for cost of living and Townsville to begin your search and then get back to us with specifics.

We are dolts. You need to keep this as simple as possible for us.
Thanks for that.

I was looking for more specifics like, how much will a expect to pay for a burger/subway, pint of beer, a curry for 2 etc.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that.

I was looking for more specifics like, how much will a expect to pay for a burger/subway, pint of beer, a curry for 2 etc.
A curry for two? In Townsville?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spartacus
A curry for two? In Townsville?
Is this not possible?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Is this not possible?
I don't know, I've never been to Townsville. But Brisbane struggles for a decent curry house and its a major world city.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

kevzone will become famous soon enough

Hey

Listen up old cock, take it from a Barnsley Lad that first and foremost their is a fantastic curry house here in Townsville, called... wait for it... Masala (www.masalaindian.com.au).
This has a menu, which should allow you to compare cost of a curry.

As for specifics of costs the main one is petrol, unleaded at the minute here is $1.41 per ltr, which I wouldn't even bother converting to sterling or euro or whatever you now use as the cost of petrol over in Barnsley at the mo is well above the pound.

The cost of a terrace house, will get you a pretty good lifestyle house here, so obviously if you have a semi or bungalow etc you would get something very nice indeed. I sold my poxy terrace and have a lowset house over 800sq meters with a pool, which is quite common.

The bottom line is that like for like you will come out well on top most of the time, especially someone of your occupation. At the moment Townsville is screaming out for trades and technical workers, even the mines are offering 8 on 6 off or 14 on 14 of, which means you work 22 weeks of the year and get a minimum of $110,000 salary.

Good Luck
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kevzone
Hey

Listen up old cock, take it from a Barnsley Lad that first and foremost their is a fantastic curry house here in Townsville, called... wait for it... Masala (www.masalaindian.com.au).

As for specifics of costs the main one is petrol, unleaded at the minute here is $1.41 per ltr, which I wouldn't even bother converting to sterling or euro or whatever you now use as the cost of petrol over in Barnsley at the mo is well above the pound.

The cost of a terrace house, will get you a pretty good lifestyle house here, so obviously if you have a semi or bungalow etc you would get something very nice indeed. I sold my poxy terrace and have a lowset house over 800sq meters with a pool, which is quite common.

The bottom line is that like for like you will come out well on top most of the time, especially someone of your occupation. At the moment Townsville is screaming out for trades and technical workers, even the mines are offering 8 on 6 off or 14 on 14 of, which means you work 22 weeks of the year and get a minimum of $110,000 salary.

Good Luck
Thanks Kevzone,

Being a Yorkshire lad myself, lets get down to the real business!!!!

How much for a pint of the golden stuff?

Seriously, where are the best areas to live and ones to avoid and I have an 8 year old daughter, so schools are important when choosing our place of residence. We will be renting initially, but would like to try and get the school/area correct first and not have to relocate schools at a later stage.

Thanks.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Hi Kevin,

We are thinking about Townsville. OH is a mechanical fitter, heavy industry... the muckier the better .... LOL!!

We came out to validate last April staying down on Palm Beach. Our mates live just out side of Surfers and I found it a bit busy for us but we didn't manage to make it up to Townsville to check it out. Any info you can chuck our way would be gratefully received...

Cheers,

shelley

(p.s hope the fact I'm a south leeds lass doesn't put you off )

Originally Posted by kevzone
Hey

Good Luck
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Kevzone,

Being a Yorkshire lad myself, lets get down to the real business!!!!

How much for a pint of the golden stuff?

Seriously, where are the best areas to live and ones to avoid and I have an 8 year old daughter, so schools are important when choosing our place of residence. We will be renting initially, but would like to try and get the school/area correct first and not have to relocate schools at a later stage.

Thanks.
Well Charlie, there are only a few places in town you can actually get a pint measure, mainly Irish pubs and you are looking on average at $7 per pint. Its a bit cheaper for a "SCOONER" measure, which is kinda half way between a half and a full pint, but I digress, sorry.

As for areas to live, there is another thread that was written some time ago breaking down the suburbs - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ille+subur bs
My preference is Douglas or Riverside Gardens as it is well maintained and on a great river, the houses are a little expensive for what you get compared to the ones on the outskirts of town.

Don't worry about the school relocation thing for your daughter, as within reason most places in Townsville are 15-20 mins away. The schools here have an excellent system, much better than uk as far as I can tell. Most of what I know about the schools is hearsay as I only have a 3 year old at the moment and I am not thinking about the schools yet.

We rented for three years before committing to buying, which P''*ed me right off because the house I eventually bought went up by $150,000 during that time and would have been a neat investment by this time.

Feel free to ask for advice if you have questions.
Cheers.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sheli0508
Hi Kevin,

We are thinking about Townsville. OH is a mechanical fitter, heavy industry... the muckier the better .... LOL!!

We came out to validate last April staying down on Palm Beach. Our mates live just out side of Surfers and I found it a bit busy for us but we didn't manage to make it up to Townsville to check it out. Any info you can chuck our way would be gratefully received...

Cheers,

shelley

(p.s hope the fact I'm a south leeds lass doesn't put you off )
Hey Shelley

Townsville is a great place for me and my OH as it has enough amenities but not much hustle and bustle, which I can compare to surfers as I have visited there last year and found it a great place to visit but not to live.
That was just our tastes though and we like the area so much we are down there for a week in a couple of months for a well earnt break.

The good thing about living down there, I would guess. is that it is close to Brisbane and Townsville can, after a while, feel a little isolated.

As each family is different it is hard to offer general advice as one mans pleasure...etc So all I can say is it works for us... at the moment and I love not planning my day around the weather, as we used to in the UK.

The fact that you are a south Leeds lass has no impact in this country as they haven't heard the rumours ....yet.... LOL