British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Coronavirus - how's everyone doing? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/coronavirus-hows-everyone-doing-931767/)

Kooky. May 7th 2020 7:39 pm

Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12849406)
I don't think I've come across those before but they look delish. The nearest I know to those are char siew bao, but xiao long bao looks more like a soupy dumpling.

...Feeling hungry now.

Do yourself a favour when you can - go to a Din Tai Fung in Sydney (I like Central Park) and try them. Yes it's a chain (out of Taiwan) but I've done quite a comprehensive survey of XLB and they are my favourite. Our local branch has just reopened for takeaway so of course we had to get some; the soup seemed to solidify into the dough but the taste was still there.

Oh yeah, back on topic...

paulry May 7th 2020 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kooky. (Post 12849814)
Do yourself a favour when you can - go to a Din Tai Fung in Sydney (I like Central Park) and try them. Yes it's a chain (out of Taiwan) but I've done quite a comprehensive survey of XLB and they are my favourite. Our local branch has just reopened for takeaway so of course we had to get some; the soup seemed to solidify into the dough but the taste was still there.

Oh yeah, back on topic...

Thanks, will give it a go when next I'm in Sydney. I see there's one near Circular Key. Not sure where Central Park is.

Beoz May 8th 2020 3:33 am

3 stages of COVID OUT have been announced. Sauna's and Bathhouses are in stage 3. Not really sure those are big activities in Australia,

Amazulu May 8th 2020 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07 (Post 12849500)
Honestly I think you may have dodged a bullet. A big tub of scrambled eggs that's been sitting there all morning doesn't sound delightful- at least poached/fried is fresh? 🤢

Agree - scrambling is the worst way to cook an egg

A freshly cooked large poached egg with a runny yolk - heaven. Fried a close 2nd

abner May 8th 2020 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12849933)
Agree - scrambling is the worst way to cook an egg

A freshly cooked large poached egg with a runny yolk - heaven. Fried a close 2nd

Sheer bigotry :(

I can't fault your choice, but boiled is even purer. And properly done, scrambled / omelette / fritata-style eggs invite other mixed-marriage compositions which are just as tasty.

But best of all: Eggs Benedict.

Beoz May 8th 2020 11:27 am

Originally Posted by abner (Post 12849951)
Sheer bigotry :(

I can't fault your choice, but boiled is even purer. And properly done, scrambled / omelette / fritata-style eggs invite other mixed-marriage compositions which are just as tasty.

Eggs in all formats are great to mix up. Different style per day makes a different day. It's a bit like newspaper choice. Guardian one day to Daily Mail the next. Whoops verging on politics.

spouse of scouse May 8th 2020 11:38 am

:thumbsup:

old.sparkles May 9th 2020 7:16 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12849641)
Sparkles, I'm really sorry to read that your nephew has the virus. What a huge worry for your family, please let us know how he's going when you can.

He's still not very well, SoS but at home so not getting any worse either. So far no one else seems to have caught it. and fingers crossed it stays that way :fingerscrossed:

spouse of scouse May 9th 2020 8:53 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12850405)
He's still not very well, SoS but at home so not getting any worse either. So far no one else seems to have caught it. and fingers crossed it stays that way :fingerscrossed:

Fingers crossed indeed Sparkles :fingerscrossed: It will be hard for you being over here while this is happening, look after yourself as best you can mate xx

carcajou May 10th 2020 1:12 am

Premier Mark McGowan is set to revise regional lockdowns this week, as Western Australia has only had 1 case in the last nine days, and currently only has 7 active cases.

Regional lockdown will not be lifted entirely, instead what is being flagged is larger lockdown areas - ie, combining multiple regions into one lockdown zone.

There is still substantial support for regional lockdown in Country WA.

carcajou May 10th 2020 2:26 am

From Monday 18 May, West Australian restaurants and cafes will be able to re-open for dine-in service, with a maximum occupancy of 20 customers.

Regional lockdown boundaries will be relaxed from 9 zones down to four, with travel permitted anywhere within the four zones. Residents in the Perth Metropolitan Area, Peel, South West, Great Southern and Wheatbelt regions will now be one zone; the Mid West, Gascoyne and Pilbara will be another zone; the Kimberley, which had the biggest outbreak outside Perth, will be another zone (previously, the Kimberley had been on shire-by-shire lockdown; travel between shires within the Kimberley will now be permitted); and Goldfields-Esperance will be one zone (the region had been broken up into separate locked-down Goldfields and Espereance zones, which will be lifted).

The 10 person gathering limit has been relaxed to a 20 person limit.

There has been one case in WA in the past 10 days, and currently 7 active cases statewide (6 in Perth, 1 in Kalgoorlie).

Kooky. May 10th 2020 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12849929)
3 stages of COVID OUT have been announced. Sauna's and Bathhouses are in stage 3. Not really sure those are big activities in Australia,

Have you been reading too much Pauline Pantsdown? edit: OMG I apologise, the detailed one does say that. Hilarious.

(Though I assure you they are big activities in Australia.)

BEVS May 10th 2020 3:25 am

Oo yes. Love that, with spinach and mushroom.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12847978)
My nephew in the UK has COVID 19.

He's young and no serious issues, so he should be okay I hope. He currently has pneumonia caused by the virus so my worry is that he'll pass it to his dad, my brother.

He has dangerously high blood pressure and is on blood pressure medication and that put's him in a higher risk group. Plus he's a smoker :(

Worrying times :(

Oh Sparkes. I do hope he is slowly mending and will make a 100% recovery. My friends sister is still not OK.
so very worrying all round and you don't need more than you've already had family wise. Hugs Sparkles, hugs.

spouse of scouse May 10th 2020 4:02 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12850740)
From Monday 18 May, West Australian restaurants and cafes will be able to re-open for dine-in service, with a maximum occupancy of 20 customers.

Regional lockdown boundaries will be relaxed from 9 zones down to four, with travel permitted anywhere within the four zones. Residents in the Perth Metropolitan Area, Peel, South West, Great Southern and Wheatbelt regions will now be one zone; the Mid West, Gascoyne and Pilbara will be another zone; the Kimberley, which had the biggest outbreak outside Perth, will be another zone (previously, the Kimberley had been on shire-by-shire lockdown; travel between shires within the Kimberley will now be permitted); and Goldfields-Esperance will be one zone (the region had been broken up into separate locked-down Goldfields and Espereance zones, which will be lifted).

The 10 person gathering limit has been relaxed to a 20 person limit.

There has been one case in WA in the past 10 days, and currently 7 active cases statewide (6 in Perth, 1 in Kalgoorlie).

Thanks for this carcajou. We'll probably have a holiday in Albany in a couple of weeks, we need a break and the local businesses need some customers. Not to mention the roadhouses en route for coffee and bacon and egg toasties :D

Still Game May 10th 2020 4:50 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12850761)
Thanks for this carcajou. We'll probably have a holiday in Albany in a couple of weeks, we need a break and the local businesses need some customers. Not to mention the roadhouses en route for coffee and bacon and egg toasties :D

Perfect weather down here at the moment. Bright warming sunshine, slight cool breeze, top UV of 4 and top temp of 20. Compared to the absolutely wild weather we had last week this is perfecto! Off for a walk....