British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Coronavirus - how's everyone doing? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/coronavirus-hows-everyone-doing-931767/)

Lucas_Dad Mar 17th 2020 8:52 am

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Anyone sick? Everyone well? Anyone stressed? Anyone care?!

Now that grass-roots AFL has been cancelled, the Auskick centre I help out at has pushed back the start of the season until the end of May at the earliest. My 8yo has had all his other extra-curricular activities cancelled for now too. He's taking it really well.

I've struck lucky financially. I was worried about the potential of being put into lock-down and having to buy extra shopping on Newstart allowance. I'm on a really tight budget as it is, but two PPI claims back home have come good. I've received £1000 so far, which I have transferred over here into $. Most welcome :) I still have two claims outstanding that I'm hoping won't get too delayed by coronavirus, and should be for much more.

Stay we'll y'all :fingerscrossed:

Pollyana Mar 17th 2020 10:15 am

Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad (Post 12822100)

Now that grass-roots AFL has been cancelled, the Auskick centre I help out at has pushed back the start of the season until the end of May at the earliest. My 8yo has had all his other extra-curricular activities cancelled for now too. He's taking it really well.

I've struck lucky financially. I was worried about the potential of being put into lock-down and having to buy extra shopping on Newstart allowance. I'm on a really tight budget as it is, but two PPI claims back home have come good. I've received £1000 so far, which I have transferred over here into $. Most welcome :) I still have two claims outstanding that I'm hoping won't get too delayed by coronavirus, and should be for much more.

Well I have little super left, retirement plans scrapped and I will have to stay in this hellhole until I die, but in a more immediate capacity I am working for emergency services in the centre coordinating the government agency response in Queensland. Lots of plans in place for us to work from home if necessary, and the only advice I can give is to ignore media hype and just stay focussed and sensible.

GarryP Mar 17th 2020 11:27 am

Currently good, but with lots of things going wrong (this just being one of them), I'm thinking 2020 is cursed. Anyone think the supermarkets are beginning to resemble Soviet stores of the 1980s?

Monitoring the new case rates and hoping Morrison et al finally get a clue and "shut it down". Expect 1000+ cases by this weekend, and 3000 by next if that social distancing doesn't work (I think Italy might be levelling off with their strong measures). Expecting to be working from home by the end of the week - for at least another month.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

spouse of scouse Mar 17th 2020 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad (Post 12822100)

I'm not sick, I'm slightly stressed about my (very!) old mum and my daughter who's in a wheelchair and is running low on supplies - emergency drive down there tomorrow.

Kids will weather all the palaver much better than most adults, especially if 'their' adults are sensible.

Congrats on the PPI payments, may your next ones be huge ones :thumbsup:

Apart from cancelling a trip to the UK and Europe next month, everything else is hunky dory. We're being very careful with our dwindling supply of toilet paper :lol:

spouse of scouse Mar 17th 2020 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12822138)
Well I have little super left, retirement plans scrapped and I will have to stay in this hellhole until I die, but in a more immediate capacity I am working for emergency services in the centre coordinating the government agency response in Queensland. Lots of plans in place for us to work from home if necessary, and the only advice I can give is to ignore media hype and just stay focussed and sensible.

Excellent advice Polly.

Dorothy Mar 17th 2020 12:03 pm

I'm ok but have been in contact with 2 people with family who have just returned from Singapore. There's no plan in place for non essentials to work from home just yet but things change regularly.

cresta57 Mar 17th 2020 12:35 pm

The wife & I currently each work a week on week off system. When the 4th child came into our care 6 months ago I'd just got my business going again and was picking up a few new builders. Reluctant to give up that new found freedom and the ability to converse with adults we/I decided that in order to cope we'd each do a week at home. It's worked well so far. We both get to talk to adults and both spend time with the babies.
I've got the eldest child off school, she's had a heavy cold, nothing more serious just a cold. Teaching staff have been openly hostile towards her to the point she was told to ring me to come and pick her up this morning. In one breath they are telling her she will fail her assignments in the next they are sending her home. The 10 yr old is bullet proof and strong as an ox she just gets up and goes to school, not a care in the world. The two babies are a worry the 20 month old is a bit run down and whiny the 6 month old is oblivious, just grins all the time. Keeping them healthy is going to be a challenge.
Deb works in a nursing home, they're talking about going into lock down. I usually take the babies in to see the residents a couple of times a week. Not allowed to do that until further notice, the kids love it as do the residents but seems like a reasonable precaution.
Shopping is a worry, we usually bulk buy as there's 6 of us. Currently we're down to about 10 day's worth of dunny roll. We simply can't buy rice,pasta, sugar, flour & meat was non existent in Woolies this morning. With two under 20 months we buy wipes by the box, I've started taking both kids in the trolley as the looks I get when I buy a full box of wipes could kill.
We have a couple of hotel rooms booked in Brisbane this weekend and were taking all four kids to watch the Broncos. That's canned, we can't get a refund on the rooms so we're still heading down and will do a few fun things with them while we're there. I was thinking watching pop make pints of Guinness disappear might be fun, sadly I'm out voted.

moneypenny20 Mar 17th 2020 3:21 pm

I've had a cold brewing for nearly a week and it's finally coming out. No dodgy symptoms and I'm an unsociable cow at the best of times. However work can not be done from home so I'm having to rearrange our roster so I'm not around anyone, relatively easy to do. Most of my volunteers are in the 65+ bracket so I'd rather not infect them however harmless my cold may be. We may close to the public, not sure yet, they seem to be self isolating so we're very quiet. Worse thing for me at the moment is that my daughter has become unemployed for reasons beyond her control, she has no money and no chance of finding hospitality/retail work in the UK at the current time. We can't send her money as she's applying for rent assist and job seekers so she can't be having random amounts of money going into her account. Not that we can afford to send her much anyway. She's hugely stressed and so are we.

Kim67 Mar 18th 2020 2:45 am

We are well.

I work for two music schools and we have just started online lessons for those choosing self isolation or those forcibly in lockdown which is working well. We have removed all toys and books from our play areas and are wiping down instruments between each lesson. We've made our own hand sanitiser and a local pharmacy has made us another batch.

Two of my teens are off to Perth tomorrow to visit their elderly grandmother. Their father always chooses the best times to travel. They'll probably only be able to wave to her through her window as shes 80 and not in the best of health. I hope they're not stuck in WA for an extended period as the youngest is in Year 12.

Alf and I have toilet paper, meat, veges, rice, pasta, tin food etc in case we have to self isolate, but we usually have heaps of those things in the house anyway. While the kids are away, we'll just go to work and then hang out with the two of us at home. Not a real lot has to change in our life - we'll hang on the deck, have a wine, bbq and wave to the neighbours over the fence. Netflix, Foxtel, BE, swimming will be our entertainment and we should save heaps of money not buying petrol.

Beoz Mar 19th 2020 3:57 am

All good. Wife and I been in the office via the car and today are annoying each other at home. Kids are in school and day care and it shall remain that way until instructed otherwise.

I have been following Singapore as an example of this. Very interesting to say the least. My office is all work from home in Singapore as its been for weeks however kids in school there. Singapore started to come down the other side of the curve but had a big spike today, 44 cases, 30 came in from abroad, so they have implemented the 14 day rule for those coming in.

Its also interesting their detective system. They have been tracking down the spider web of cases stemming from a source, rounding them up and isolating. At these numbers easy to do but should it rise they may have to give up on that.

No deaths yet in Singapore.

Tom Sawyer Mar 19th 2020 9:05 am

Partner and Mother in Law currently in self isolation as they got back from overseas on Tuesday but no illnesses indicated, or anything in the family, and overall not that concerned by the virus as we are all in a lower risk age range and with no major health issues so hopefully we should be OK even if we do get it. Just really the Mother in Law in her 70's locally that we need to be aware of contact-wise, and my mother is in a care home in the UK which has basically gone into isolation.

However, we both work in the airline industry (Cabin Crew & Engineer), so a bit unsure where this is going to leave us by the end of the year......or next week for that matter!

DeadVim Mar 19th 2020 11:27 am

The booze will likely claim me before Fostersvirus.

Mandatory working from home for me, what’s not to like?

Dreamy Mar 20th 2020 12:15 am

We're all good. I have diabetes and Mr Dreamy has rheumatoid arthritis and so on immune suppressing medication. He's a Government worker and although they've kind of backed off everyone working from home, because of his compromised immune system, he's been able to. That brings its own challenges, especially as the two kids who are still in uni are now having to study online and the one looking for work has had a couple of interviews cancelled.

Believe me, there isn't enough alcohol in the world to deal with that :D

I had to go see the doctor this morning (an unrelated matter) and he's said that apart from my flu shot, he doesn't want to see me near the surgery again for at least 3 months, and if I need to I can get a phone consultation.

scrubbedexpat098 Mar 20th 2020 1:05 am

I'm in port headland at the moment, and it's down to essential staff only so I feel quite special. I feel for everyone on zero hour contracts, no stimulus package from scomo is going to cut it. Suspend all essential bills and payments as Italy did, that's the only way everyone will be safe from financial ruin.

quoll Mar 20th 2020 3:59 pm

As my son said yesterday, it's a bit like being in a lifeboat. DH and I are on day 5 of mandatory isolation from entering the country (from UK) and are taking it very seriously, Fortunately we have a son who supplies us but he's pulled the plug and is taking his daughters and their mother down to the bush at the weekend. He's a first grade prepper so he's in his element. He prepped for us returnees too so we are set for many months without external assistance (rice and beans will get a bit old after a few days though!!! But there are a couple of freezers full of venison and kangaroo - which I dont like!). He's been predicting this for at least 10 years and preparing for it. My other son is in London - much scarier prospects especially as he is military - so he's probably going to be very busy in the next few weeks. Sadly, I've sort of lost my knitting mojo but I have plenty of stash to last me, oh, about 20 years of self isolation!

Clacfart Mar 21st 2020 12:54 am

Hey guys. Bumbling along here. I'm back at work, have no choice but to have public contact, pregnant mothers need to be seen by a midwife. The hospitals have put huge measures in place ie; waiting in their car until they are rung to come in for their appointment. Most appointments will be home visits, prior to the visit we call them and do the majority of the assessment over the phone before heading into their home to listen to the babies heartrates.

Mums where possible are to go home a few hours after birthing etc.

baby Clacfart is well so far. He had breathing difficulties at birth and I've been warned his lungs are not strong so a little worried about that if he gets it. Cant believe he is 3 months old now.... (I'll attach a picture)

Hope everyone is going okay.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...da1a079793.jpg

Dorothy Mar 21st 2020 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Clacfart (Post 12824356)
Hey guys. Bumbling along here. I'm back at work, have no choice but to have public contact, pregnant mothers need to be seen by a midwife. The hospitals have put huge measures in place ie; waiting in their car until they are rung to come in for their appointment. Most appointments will be home visits, prior to the visit we call them and do the majority of the assessment over the phone before heading into their home to listen to the babies heartrates.

baby Clacfart is well so far. He had breathing difficulties at birth and I've been warned his lungs are not strong so a little worried about that if he gets it. Cant believe he is 3 months old now.... (I'll attach a picture)

He's gorgeous! Look at those chubby cheeks.

moneypenny20 Mar 21st 2020 2:01 am

Aww he's a chunk! :wub:

Jerseygirl Mar 21st 2020 2:16 am

Beautiful baby...but the mum...wow what a stunner.

BEVS Mar 21st 2020 2:26 am

He is lovely is baby Clacfart. Hopefully his lung strength will improve with time. You keep safe out there on a front line. Baba Clacfart and Mr Clacfart, you stay healthy & out of harms way.

carcajou Mar 21st 2020 3:27 am

I have what I think is a cold or virus, but different symptoms from Coronavirus (ie, my cough is productive, not dry, and I have post-nasal drip and a hoarse throat). Still, doctor didn't want me anywhere near work - was told at first that when I got to the doctor's office, I shouldn't come in and instead "tap on the glass" and then they called back and said don't come in at all, and they did a consultation over the phone. A kind of stomach bug etc is ripping through my area which ironically, is reassuring me. Doctor told me I was "low risk" to have COVID-19 and it sounded to me like they were just triaging people into "maybe has COVID-19" and "not likely to have COVID-19" and if you were in the latter group, just stay at home and wait for whatever you have to pass . . . particularly as I never brought it up, the doctor did and rabbited on about it.

There are no confirmed cases where I live but everyone on edge. Tour buses with Perth locals have been going to regional towns like mine - perhaps bringing virus with them - to raid the IGAs and the shops, to make up for shortages in Perth - that is not just rumour, it is actually happening - locals incensed about it - there is talk of "carding" people at the check-out to make sure they actually live in the area, if they are making big buys. Some towns in the Northern Wheatbelt are already doing that, you have to produce ID at checkout so they can check your address if they don't know you. The farms around the area are taking direct orders and making home deliveries to help locals, which most have never done before. So we won't have food shortages here but we will have manufactured goods shortages. I can still find toilet paper - not every day, but maybe once or twice a week. I live on an isolated property and with an independent water supply, and the neighbours run cattle, so we're well positioned for any lockdown if it comes to that. My wife and I are just making sure the vehicles never dip below half a tank of petrol, though I don't know where people would flee to if it comes to that. Perth? It will be much worse there.

I just can't believe the schools are still open. Schools are petri dishes, cases are popping up at schools in the Eastern States and the ones around here now have a massive absentee rate (almost half) and growing every day as parents pull their kids out. Kids may be asymptomatic but they can pass it on to others, and the idea that they need to be in school so they are kept away from shopping centres etc is ridiculous. Where does the government think kids go after school?

Dreamy Mar 21st 2020 5:19 am

Oh boy, those cheeks were made for squidging.

The baby's aren't bad either :D

quoll Mar 21st 2020 5:56 am

What a cute young man! Take care of yourself!!!!

Clacfart Mar 21st 2020 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 12824440)
Oh boy, those cheeks were made for squidging.

The baby's aren't bad either :D

hahaha!!

He really is a chunk. Can't believe how in love I am with him.

I've just been watching the news on what the plans are. It seems as they are going to follow Singapore's regime of checking temperatures before school. Healthcare is going to be majorly impacted.

quoll Mar 21st 2020 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Clacfart (Post 12824447)
hahaha!!

He really is a chunk. Can't believe how in love I am with him.

I've just been watching the news on what the plans are. It seems as they are going to follow Singapore's regime of checking temperatures before school. Healthcare is going to be majorly impacted.

They should certainly have been doing thermal imaging of all incoming passengers this week (and for several weeks beforehand too!) but they hadn't even got that off the ground

Amazulu Mar 21st 2020 10:43 am

Coles in Kalamunda had toilet paper this afternoon - unusual as it's usually all gone 5 minutes after opening!

We may have reached the peak of the bog roll crisis

spouse of scouse Mar 21st 2020 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12824502)
Coles in Kalamunda had toilet paper this afternoon - unusual as it's usually all gone 5 minutes after opening!

We may have reached the peak of the bog roll crisis

I'll give you 3 packets of pasta, 2 bottles of hand sanitiser and my first born child for a 12 pack of Kleenex loo paper. For Quilton I'll thrown in the second born child and a partridge in a pear tree (pears not included in offer)

spouse of scouse Mar 21st 2020 10:58 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12822317)
Worse thing for me at the moment is that my daughter has become unemployed for reasons beyond her control, she has no money and no chance of finding hospitality/retail work in the UK at the current time. We can't send her money as she's applying for rent assist and job seekers so she can't be having random amounts of money going into her account. Not that we can afford to send her much anyway. She's hugely stressed and so are we.

Really sorry to hear this MP, what a nightmare for you :( I hope the UK's 3 month ban on tenant evictions will help your daughter a bit, and that her income support application is processed quickly.

Clacfart Mar 21st 2020 11:10 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12824505)
I'll give you 3 packets of pasta, 2 bottles of hand sanitiser and my first born child for a 12 pack of Kleenex loo paper. For Quilton I'll thrown in the second born child and a partridge in a pear tree (pears not included in offer)

This actually made me laugh out loud! Coles here had toilet paper today for the first time in ages! Must be the police in store scaring everyone off panic buying 😂

moneypenny20 Mar 21st 2020 11:15 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12824507)
Really sorry to hear this MP, what a nightmare for you :( I hope the UK's 3 month ban on tenant evictions will help your daughter a bit, and that her income support application is processed quickly.

Thanks. Now she's got over the initial panic and off loaded to her mother she's good again. Now I've got over the initial panic and off loaded to friends I'm good again. The three month ban on evictions was a huge relief. I did ask if she wanted to hop on a flight home and see it out here but there's no real point and no where for her to self isolate after the flight. She's staying put. I could really do with a cuddle from her though. Hey ho shit happens, she's safe and healthy and has a roof over her head, that's all that matters.

Jerseygirl Mar 21st 2020 11:43 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12824515)
Thanks. Now she's got over the initial panic and off loaded to her mother she's good again. Now I've got over the initial panic and off loaded to friends I'm good again. The three month ban on evictions was a huge relief. I did ask if she wanted to hop on a flight home and see it out here but there's no real point and no where for her to self isolate after the flight. She's staying put. I could really do with a cuddle from her though. Hey ho shit happens, she's safe and healthy and has a roof over her head, that's all that matters.

I missed your original post MP. Sorry to hear about the position your daughter finds herself in. Kids don’t realise that parents worry more about their kids than they do themselves. I know how I’ve felt when we have had a couple of issues with our daughter in the last week. Stomach immediately twists and jumps into throat. It must be extremely hard for you with your daughter being so far away. Hopefully she can stay where she is and that she receives financial help quickly.

Lorna at Vicenza Mar 21st 2020 9:30 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm just dropping in from Italy because my 19 year old daughter is currently in NSW so of course I am interested in developments there, not just for her but for all of you. Italy, as you no doubt know has really hit the shits and even if Chloe could, I'm not sure she should try to scrabble and scratch her way back to Italy right now and I don't think she physically could by plane or train or boat as we are on TOTAL lockdown. I'm a little worried about her getting stuck there and her visa expiring but I guess there will be thousands like her.
The lockdown here is serious and getting ever more deadly serious with military and drones moving in. I went out of my house today for the first time in 7 days. I went to the chemist to pick up a previously, online ordered, repeat prescription. I was served through a gap in the security bars/grills/window shutters of the chemist's. I'm fine with that and also keeping Chloe's 16 yr old brother locked in, but so many people are still being twats and it's not the teenagers. Who would have ever guessed that a young teen would get sick of Netflix and video gaming but they are at home with some video online school lessons, some worksheets to do and his PE teacher did a video keep fit lesson, bless him doing his best. It's not the teens going out although they are bored shitless now, it's the old biddies used to buying their fresh bread every day, the old man getting his tobacco, the older blokes having their aperitivo and a game of cards whilst wifey is making dinner. They are the ones still out. I went to the village Co-Op supermarket and heard an older lady being asked not to come back again so soon. "But I am allowed out to buy food" she screamed, "it's a necessity. Even the new law says that." The Co-Op director patiently explained that yes, we are allowed to buy food. We are not allowed to walk about to the shops every sodding day for 2 slices of ham. Get in. Shop big. Get out and stay the **** at home. I live in a smallish place at the foothills of some very big mountains. Supermarkets in bigger towns and cities have security outside now, not to limit what we buy but just to limit the number of people inside so we all stay away from each other. I sneezed. I was buying washing machine stuff. The powders in the air and the perfumes always make me sneeze. Once upon a time nobody gave a ******* **** if I sneezed or not. Now? Now they all stare from above their masks like they want to lynch me. One little old lady in full mask, gloves and **** knows what she was wrapped up in put her veg in my basket. With a kind and "we're all in this together" smile I told her that she'd used the wrong basket. "Shusssshshshshshshsh" she hissed at me putting her fingers on her lips like a nursery school teacher. "Signora - it's not forbidden to speak!" I said.

moneypenny20 Mar 22nd 2020 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 12824735)
Hello everyone,
I'm just dropping in from Italy because my 19 year old daughter is currently in NSW so of course I am interested in developments there, not just for her but for all of you. Italy, as you no doubt know has really hit the shits and even if Chloe could, I'm not sure she should try to scrabble and scratch her way back to Italy right now and I don't think she physically could by plane or train or boat as we are on TOTAL lockdown. I'm a little worried about her getting stuck there and her visa expiring but I guess there will be thousands like her.

Do not worry about the visa. She can't get home and as you say there will be thousands like her when we go into lock down and it will happen. It just pisses me off that it hasn't happened yet. It's just really hard to be separated from loved ones, especially our kids when no one has any clue as to how long this nightmare may last. Big cyber hug - the only ones I'm prepared to give!

Clacfart Mar 22nd 2020 1:41 am

Unsure as to why we haven't gone into lockdown yet, especially with the dramatic increase of cases in NSW. I have read this morning that SA are considering closing their borders. Not sure what that means for those with FIFO partners.

carcajou Mar 22nd 2020 1:55 am

Things are fast-moving.

1. New South Wales and Victoria will push for complete lockdowns at tonight's emergency cabinet meeting.
2. All schools closed in Victoria from Tuesday. The Courier-Mail reports that if Morrison tries to override that, Andrews will ignore it and shut them anyway.
3. Queensland asking people not to leave their neighbourhoods - the Queensland Government is particularly worried about the situation on the Gold Coast.
4. I have not heard/read anything about South Australia closing the border, but as the NT and Tasmania already have, it would not surprise me.
5. Western Australia seems to be waiting to see what everyone else does.

Clacfart Mar 22nd 2020 2:06 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12824829)
Things are fast-moving.

1. New South Wales and Victoria will push for complete lockdowns at tonight's emergency cabinet meeting.
2. All schools closed in Victoria from Tuesday. The Courier-Mail reports that if Morrison tries to override that, Andrews will ignore it and shut them anyway.
3. Queensland asking people not to leave their neighbourhoods - the Queensland Government is particularly worried about the situation on the Gold Coast.
4. I have not heard/read anything about South Australia closing the border, but as the NT and Tasmania already have, it would not surprise me.
5. Western Australia seems to be waiting to see what everyone else does.

I love number 5 haha, made me giggle

carcajou Mar 22nd 2020 2:11 am

On a different note, following Morrison's directive this morning to cancel all domestic travel, I just cancelled a northern holiday this morning. Two of the hotels I was going to be staying at were non-refundable (and one was pre-paid) - but both immediately waived the cancellation fees (one cancelled without penalty, the other immediately refunded me).

BadgeIsBack Mar 22nd 2020 2:37 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12822175)
Currently good, but with lots of things going wrong (this just being one of them), I'm thinking 2020 is cursed. Anyone think the supermarkets are beginning to resemble Soviet stores of the 1980s?
s/

One of the biggest complaints on these forums back in 2003-4!!! ;-)

carcajou Mar 22nd 2020 3:11 am

Premier Stephen Marshall announces that South Australia closes the border from Tuesday.

carcajou Mar 22nd 2020 3:14 am

Further, the news is reporting an outbreak has emerged among Bondi backpackers and clusters have been traced back to two weekend parties at Bondi.

Guess who wasn't social distancing at the beach on Friday . . .