Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Cop Bashers Walk Free

Wikiposts

Cop Bashers Walk Free

Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:59 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cop Bashers Walk Free

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Sorry ! State or explain what reason ?
Sorry! I hit the wrong button halfway through my much-longer-than-I-thought-it-was-going-to-be post.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

I was also disgusted when I saw that video and couldn't fathom how on earth anyone could deny that was assault. However, have just read comments posted on "perthnow"
(link here http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/comm...91-948,00.html)

and read this...

I watched for the first time, or should I say I *saw* for the first time, what actually occurred when the s**t went down (as explained and pointed out by Mr Tudori on TV). There were two or three cops on the young fella, and one was whaling into him with a baton, when the father and other son who were not involved at that stage, protested and tried to protect the son from the two cops. That, dear readers, was "unlawful force" because it was not balanced. Why not just take out the Glock and plug the young bloke? Then, this poor guy who got crippled, he takes out a taser. A well dressed and reasonable friend of the father tries to gently pull the father away saying that he has a heart condition. The cop, Butcher, arms the taser and hits him. He is reloading the damn thing to hit him again, even though the first one has killed the father (he was dead for over 30 seconds, resuscitated by a cop). The second one would have killed him permanently. This in the face of the fact that there was another group involved in the original brawl who hasn't even been named!!! Then, the young guy, trying to save his father's live, did the only thing he could and launches. It wasn't even a king hit. It saved his old man's life. I think the trial lasted maybe 5 weeks and the jury was there for the duration. I doubt that any of the critics on the blogs has been privy to what the jury has seen and heard. I doubt any of them have sat in the public gallery for 5 weeks. Beware populism folks, learn to believe your own senses and eyes and not what people tell you is the truth.

Makes me realise there are always two sides to every story. Don't know how true it is, but does make you think twice.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:41 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShoreyM
I was also disgusted when I saw that video and couldn't fathom how on earth anyone could deny that was assault. However, have just read comments posted on "perthnow"
(link here http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/comm...91-948,00.html)

and read this...

I watched for the first time, or should I say I *saw* for the first time, what actually occurred when the s**t went down (as explained and pointed out by Mr Tudori on TV). There were two or three cops on the young fella, and one was whaling into him with a baton, when the father and other son who were not involved at that stage, protested and tried to protect the son from the two cops. That, dear readers, was "unlawful force" because it was not balanced. Why not just take out the Glock and plug the young bloke? Then, this poor guy who got crippled, he takes out a taser. A well dressed and reasonable friend of the father tries to gently pull the father away saying that he has a heart condition. The cop, Butcher, arms the taser and hits him. He is reloading the damn thing to hit him again, even though the first one has killed the father (he was dead for over 30 seconds, resuscitated by a cop). The second one would have killed him permanently. This in the face of the fact that there was another group involved in the original brawl who hasn't even been named!!! Then, the young guy, trying to save his father's live, did the only thing he could and launches. It wasn't even a king hit. It saved his old man's life. I think the trial lasted maybe 5 weeks and the jury was there for the duration. I doubt that any of the critics on the blogs has been privy to what the jury has seen and heard. I doubt any of them have sat in the public gallery for 5 weeks. Beware populism folks, learn to believe your own senses and eyes and not what people tell you is the truth.

Makes me realise there are always two sides to every story. Don't know how true it is, but does make you think twice.
the bit in red sounds like bullshit to me - the other reports I read said he collapsed of a heart attack later and was taken to a hospital where he was subsequently placed in an induced coma
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, never heard about it down this way!! I dont condone violence but the cop was armed with a tazer and a bloke dived on him, the cop came off second best.........................there shouldnt have been an acquittal but Im shocked there was!

I think thats all Ill say.......
Old Mar 14th 2009, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
Why should they be ashamed by that comment? If a system is so flawed that it allows guilty people to walk free then it also allows innocent people to be found guilty. I think it's a perfectly logical statement.
Entirely so.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I couldn't believe my ears when I heard this on the news... I actually saw the video of the dude flying through the air and headbutting the policeman who was trying to break up a brawl outside the Old Bailey.

Jury finds McLeods not guilty of police assault

"A District Court jury has found Currambine Plasterer Barry McLeod and his father Robert McLeod not guilty of all charges laid against them regarding assault allegations that left Const. Matthew Butcher with severe head injuries after a brawl outside a popular Joondalup tavern."

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=129770
Yes not a pretty sight but there appears to be far more to this story than a policeman being assaulted. Reports state that the degree of restraint used was shall we say just a little on the excessive side.
These three fellows had originally entered the fray attempting to break up a fight between five English painters and from what i hear two Australians inside the pub which some how escalated outside.
Of course it is always very sad when people are badly hurt as a result of such actions.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 4:52 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Yep very true but....
the jury will be strongly influenced by strongly argued defence barristers, poorly argued prosecutors and summing up by the judge (would be interested to hear that).

Also I am 99% sure a not guilty verdict cannot be appealed. England definitely not and as Australian Law is UK based I would have thought the same.

I wonder what the exact verdict of the jury was, i.e. hung, no majority etc.
There would have to be an error in the judge's instructions to the jury to allow for an appeal and a retrial.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 11:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Just heard that the McLeods are considering suing the police for damages.

"To add more insult to Constable Butcher's injuries, assailant Barry McLeod, brother Scott and father Robert were seriously contemplating suing the police over the fracas in February last year."

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...008620,00.html
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:38 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
There would have to be an error in the judge's instructions to the jury to allow for an appeal and a retrial.
I wondered that but in one of the West Australians articles on-line (referenced quite early in this thread) some guy who is president of the law association or something like that, said he sat in court for the whole trial and that the verdict was correct and the judge did his job properly.

I guess where we're getting to now is that under current law, they may have been innocent, but that just means the current law is wrong.

Surely though if the police were using excessive force thats one thing (and also not condonable) but this verdict seems to say its ok to take the law into your hands.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:11 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

I don't know what's happened in Australia recently.

In the last few weeks we've had a whole string of these dramas.

A man in Sydney got away with breaking into a house and raping a four year old.

A man in Canberra got away with stalking his neighbour's children and photographing them naked. Even though he admitted he 'got off' on doing it, the judge said it was 'ridiculous' to prosecute the 'poor man'.

And that's not to mention all the footballers who rape, assault, damage and harass every day of the week. No footballer has been convicted of a sexual assault in the last three decades, despite the fact one is reported about every week.

It's becoming a sick society.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH

A man in Canberra got away with stalking his neighbour's children and photographing them naked. Even though he admitted he 'got off' on doing it, the judge said it was 'ridiculous' to prosecute the 'poor man'.

And that's not to mention all the footballers who rape, assault, damage and harass every day of the week. No footballer has been convicted of a sexual assault in the last three decades, despite the fact one is reported about every week.

Its bizarre to me that for a country that seems to have a propensity for grisly murders and a revelry of the razzle dazzle "underbelly" larrikin bollocks, Aussie blokes are quite shy and border on useless at face to face confrontation with men there own size in pubs and clubs.

That why this particular case is of interest. It appeared that the police in the video didnt have a set strategy or procedure to deal with what was essentially a messy and drunken brawl.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SNH

It always was a sick society.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I wondered that but in one of the West Australians articles on-line (referenced quite early in this thread) some guy who is president of the law association or something like that, said he sat in court for the whole trial and that the verdict was correct and the judge did his job properly.

I guess where we're getting to now is that under current law, they may have been innocent, but that just means the current law is wrong.

Surely though if the police were using excessive force thats one thing (and also not condonable) but this verdict seems to say its ok to take the law into your hands.
Sorry but fail to see how this verdict would result in one taking the law into ones own hands.
Under the law we all are required to abide by the same rules surely?(even for the police,) Also i would suggest that the verdict coming out in this instance being not to the liking of the police can give us all a greater degree of confidence in the legal system of this nation and not the reverse.
Many countries it would be a case that the police can do no wrong...lets not allow them to use this instance as an excuse to further police powers as it would appears may possibly be the case.

Last edited by the troubadour; Mar 14th 2009 at 3:48 pm. Reason: error
Old Mar 14th 2009, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Taffaroo will become famous soon enoughTaffaroo will become famous soon enough

Fine head butt though!
Old Mar 14th 2009, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
It always was a sick society.
Yes but one hopes we as individuauls and those figures that represent authority (government,police,legal system)are now more accountable for their personal actions as well as we, the people,expecting and demanding the highest level of conduct from those whom maintain any level of power over us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.