Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Contraception - One for the ladies!

Contraception - One for the ladies!

Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contraception - One for the ladies!

Has anyone had the essure procedure (permanent). I too can't take most hormonal contraceptives as they trigger severe depression.
This essure sounds not too bad to have done, would be interested in anyones experience with it.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:41 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

I'd recommend the coil - specifically the Mirena - for late teens, early 20s.
What about women in their 30's? im onto my second mirena now, almost due for renewal again, i am debating whether to have it removed and not replaced again, no idea what to use though, the pill is a big no-no, and i dont really want hubby to get the snip
Old Jul 19th 2008, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
What about women in their 30's? im onto my second mirena now, almost due for renewal again, i am debating whether to have it removed and not replaced again, no idea what to use though, the pill is a big no-no, and i dont really want hubby to get the snip
Ok, so you'd be looking at having your third mirena? Sounds like the mirena works well for you My suggestion about "women in their 30s" was about women who may want to get pregnant within the next few years......the mirena is not the best option for them.

If you are happy with the mirena and you've had no problems with it, then have a third one.

The alternatives include barrier methods (condoms, diaphragm) the progesterone-only pill (Cerazette - not sure if it is available in Oz tho), the implanon, depot injections (every three months, however there is currently a maxiumum number of years that you are supposed to be on it - 2 or 3.), I dont know if the nuva-ring or patches are available in Oz yet.

Best thing to do is to have a chat with your GP or at the family planning clinic.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitty4
Has anyone had the essure procedure (permanent). I too can't take most hormonal contraceptives as they trigger severe depression.
This essure sounds not too bad to have done, would be interested in anyones experience with it.
My experience with it is assisting in the procedure....just twice.

It's done under local anaesthetic. The ladies have told me that it's not much worse than having a smear taken...just maybe a little bit more "rummaging", and there are more people in the room.

Sorry that I can't offer more help. Good luck with it and please keep us posted if you feel that you are able to share more info
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Choice will become famous soon enough

The Nuva Ring might be worth a shot as apparently the hormone levels are really low - I use it and would highly recommend it - so much easier than the pill and so easy to put in and take out.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:51 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.essure.com.au/whatisessure/what.aspx

Not had it done but know someone who has, with excellent results.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've been contacted by a poster who has read one of my ancient threads from 2003; I can't help so I'm posting it here for herto see if anyone else can.....when I first came here I was using the Pill, brand being Cerazette. Its oestrogen-free, and certainly at that time wasn't available here. I stockpiled before I left the UK which kept me going for as long as I needed it to.
Google isn't very forthcoming, so does anyone please know whether Cerazette is available here yet?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
I too have a mirena fitted altho it's coming to the end of its life cycle now. Hubby is going for the snip 2 weeks before we fly I find the mirena makes me hairier than I normally am and want to be, so in that respect I will be glad to have it removed BUT I'm not looking forward to having periods again

Lynn xx
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've been contacted by a poster who has read one of my ancient threads from 2003; I can't help so I'm posting it here for herto see if anyone else can.....when I first came here I was using the Pill, brand being Cerazette. Its oestrogen-free, and certainly at that time wasn't available here. I stockpiled before I left the UK which kept me going for as long as I needed it to.
Google isn't very forthcoming, so does anyone please know whether Cerazette is available here yet?
Cerazette isn't available here in Australia and I can't find out whether they intend to make it available. I can't understand why they don't. I contacted Organon who make it and asked if they intended approving it in Australia but they didn't reply to my email enquiry .
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
My experience with it is assisting in the procedure....just twice.

It's done under local anaesthetic. The ladies have told me that it's not much worse than having a smear taken...just maybe a little bit more "rummaging", and there are more people in the room.

Sorry that I can't offer more help. Good luck with it and please keep us posted if you feel that you are able to share more info
Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
http://www.essure.com.au/whatisessure/what.aspx

Not had it done but know someone who has, with excellent results.
Thanks
sounds encouraging
although I'm in the healthcare profession myself - I don't do being a patient very well takes me a lot of time building up courage to have anything ''done'' to me

Last edited by kitty4; Jul 19th 2008 at 9:08 pm. Reason: typos
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

thebutts has a spectacular aura aboutthebutts has a spectacular aura aboutthebutts has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Does anyone know if you can get the evra patch in oz, i hate the pill, tried the mirena coil but didnt get past having it put in.... ive had 1 natural birth and 1 c-section but never experienced pain like having that thing put in!!!!! so i now use the evra patch which suits me..can u get it in oz?

thanks
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thebutts
Hi

Does anyone know if you can get the evra patch in oz, i hate the pill, tried the mirena coil but didnt get past having it put in.... ive had 1 natural birth and 1 c-section but never experienced pain like having that thing put in!!!!! so i now use the evra patch which suits me..can u get it in oz?

thanks
Sounds good, is it hormonal based??
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

jingles has a brilliant futurejingles has a brilliant futurejingles has a brilliant futurejingles has a brilliant futurejingles has a brilliant futurejingles has a brilliant futurejingles has a brilliant futurejingles has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by vickys
Well can i ask a stupid question for the night please? I've recently come off the pill (last october) due to it making me suicidal amongst other side effects and after loads of tests etc the gp informed me that i'd be best off on something that didn't have hormones in it. A friend of mine has just had a newly released hormone free coil put in and she was in agony for over a fortnight which really put me off it but she hasn't had children. My questions are: Does this coil stop your periods (i got paranoid about that when i was on the pill)? Does it reallly hurt that much? and is it available in Oz? If so how do the Oz medical peeps check on it / how often is it renewed? Sorry dont' know the name of it but using condoms is doing my head in now and want something different.

Oh yeah and ditto re dr dan!!
Didn't realise until now how fortunate to have this all behind me....<grin>
jingles (mature aged lady)
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jingles
Didn't realise until now how fortunate to have this all behind me....<grin>
jingles (mature aged lady)
#
you lucky bugger
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Cerazette isn't available here in Australia and I can't find out whether they intend to make it available. I can't understand why they don't. I contacted Organon who make it and asked if they intended approving it in Australia but they didn't reply to my email enquiry .
Thanks for that - I was hoping they might have seen since in the years since I got here.. Crazy not to licence it here, it was the only pill that suited me.
I'll let the other poster know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.