Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Consumer Action in Aus?

Consumer Action in Aus?

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold
Default Consumer Action in Aus?

I was wondering if any of you folks in Aus can help me.

I'm a massive fan of sites like this in the UK consumeractiongroup

moneysavingexpert

for consumer right info on debt, law, benefits etc.

And direct.gov.uk for plain english, one stop shop for government information on life events, rights, laws etc

Are there any similar sites in Aus? We'll prob be going initally to NSW though also thinking about ACT later.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 8:54 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consumer Action in Aus?

If you asked most Aussies they would probably point you towards TodayTonight or A Current Affair. But I doubt they would be interested in you as you are neither:
a) Australian
b) A Battler
c) Terminally Ill
d) A Bogan
e) All of the above

Otherwise most educated people would go to the ACCC or Choice
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Shellyj
I was wondering if any of you folks in Aus can help me.

I'm a massive fan of sites like this in the UK consumeractiongroup

moneysavingexpert

for consumer right info on debt, law, benefits etc.

And direct.gov.uk for plain english, one stop shop for government information on life events, rights, laws etc

Are there any similar sites in Aus? We'll prob be going initally to NSW though also thinking about ACT later.
Office of Fair Trading and similar
QLD - Office of Fair Trading 1300 658 030 (for the cost of a local call)
ACT - Office of Fair Trading The Office's general enquiry number is 6207 0400.
NSW - Office of Fair Trading Call 13 32 20 for all fair trading enquiries
NT - Consumer and Business Affairs Toll Free: 1800 019 319 (within Northern Territory only)
SA - Office of Consumer and Business Affairs Telephone: (08) 8204 9777
TAS - Office of Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading Phone 1300 65 44 99
VIC - Consumer Affairs Victoria Consumer Affairs Helpline: 1300 55 81 81
WA - Consumer & Employment Protection General Advice Line: 1300 30 40

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:22 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Office of Fair Trading and similar
QLD - Office of Fair Trading 1300 658 030 (for the cost of a local call)
ACT - Office of Fair Trading The Office's general enquiry number is 6207 0400.
NSW - Office of Fair Trading Call 13 32 20 for all fair trading enquiries
NT - Consumer and Business Affairs Toll Free: 1800 019 319 (within Northern Territory only)
SA - Office of Consumer and Business Affairs Telephone: (08) 8204 9777
TAS - Office of Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading Phone 1300 65 44 99
VIC - Consumer Affairs Victoria Consumer Affairs Helpline: 1300 55 81 81
WA - Consumer & Employment Protection General Advice Line: 1300 30 40
what are their opening hours?
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
what are their opening hours?
Monday to Friday 8 am to 6 pm
Saturday 8 am to 4:45 pm

for QLD

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:33 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

If you asked most Aussies they would probably point you towards TodayTonight or A Current Affair. But I doubt they would be interested in you as you are neither:
a) Australian
b) A Battler
c) Terminally Ill
d) A Bogan
e) All of the above
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:35 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

a) Australian
b) A Battler
c) Terminally Ill
d) A Bogan
e) All of the above

Otherwise most educated people would go to the ACCC or Choice

Is there a UK equivalent of the "Aussie Battler" ?
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:41 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by asprilla
not quite. I suppose the closest we have is the "British Bulldog Spirit"
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by asprilla
The working class...

The term Aussie Battler is an Australian colloquialism referring to "ordinary" or working class individuals

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:45 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The working class...
yeah but the Aussies celebrate the working class a lot more than the Brits do, to the point that it is almost a reverse-classist society.