Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Construction Industry - Good, Bad or Plain Ugly

View Poll Results: Do I stand a chance or am I crazy?
You are Crazy!
37.50%
Tough call, you might be best going back
12.50%
Stick it out, fortune favors the brave
50.00%
You have a good chance, stay
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Construction Industry - Good, Bad or Plain Ugly

Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Matt712 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Construction Industry - Good, Bad or Plain Ugly

Hi,

I am a 21 year old guy that has just graduated from the UK with a 1st Class Honors Degree in Civil & Structural Engineering. During my uni studies I was lucky enough to travel to Australia several times en route to visit my parents who emigrated to NZ 3 years ago and really love it here.

With the British Construction industry on its knees and in a very bad shape I decided to take the gamble and travel to OZ to seek a full time graduate post with an Australian company. The worst case being I find nothing and head back to the UK by which time hopefully things will be on the up.

I have been here for just over a month now and am still unsure as to what my chances are of finding something. I have spoken to a number of different people all of which have varying views on the economy and the construction industry. Some say work is very thin on the ground, others say it is stable and is much the way it has been for a while, whilst another view is that with several multi million dollar government stimulus schemes starting work now, combined with an apparent up turn in the world economy that prospects are now looking promising.

There is a steady stream of graduate roles being advertised and I currently have several applications in progress, but am unsure as to if I realistically have a good chance of succeeding (3 of 8 applications have already been refused) . I would need sponsorship for a 457 visa and am unsure as to how many Aussie graduates are applying for the same roles (who understandably would take preference). Last November 2008 I spoken with several companies at an immigration expo in Leeds whom were desperate for people and very keen, but with the credit crunch and what has followed that seems to have changed (although Civil Engineering still appears on the MODL and Critical Shortages List).

I would be grateful for any views/opinions that anyone has, especially from anyone with a connection to the construction industry. Am I wasting my time here, or do I have a decent chance? Should I go back to the UK and compete for the limited jobs there? (although I would have the same working rights as others, making it a level playing field) 12 months work experience in the UK would give me the 120 points I need for a Permanent Residence Visa (putting me on a level field with OZ applicants). Although getting out of a graduate employment contract after 12 months might be challenging since a company is investing time/money in me and would probably see me back in the UK for another 3-4 years.

I really like OZ, the cities are great, the people friendly and the weather generally sunny! But is it a question of trying to do something too soon. Should I reside myself to returning to the UK for 3-4 years before returning. Or is the proactive approach that I am currently taking the best. With no mortgage to sort out, no car to sell, job to quit or belongings to ship out it seemed now was a decent time.

I would love to hear any of your views, even if you have no dealings in construction. Am I crazy or do I have a real chance? Do you think prospects are better in certain parts of OZ or is it all much the same everywhere? My current approach is to be glued to the web adverts and calling companies out of the phone book, a good plan or not?

Thanks for taking the time to read this (I did not mean to write so much!). Any of your replies would be a great help to me and much appreciated. Have a good one.

Matt
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Construction Industry - Good, Bad or Plain Ugly

Hey Matt,
firstly congrats on your degree!
I think you have taken a punt and from what you have said you dont have much to lose so why not stick around since you are here anyway? At least you can get a tan while you are job hunting! As you have said there isnt much happening back in the UK and there certainly seem to be stimulus projects in the pipeline.

Where are you located at present and are you happy to move around? I think if you are flexible then you are in a good position. Have you spoken to any of the recruitment agencies that deal specifically in your field? I was working for a recruitment agency in Melbourne last year that were screaming out for civil engineers (my hubby is a civil engineer so they were trying to poach him!). My father-in-law is also in construction (roads) and was headhunted from sri lanka to come over here - he is up in brissy now. They both do have a lot of work experience but if you are willing to work from the ground up (pardon the pun) then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get something. I know in my hubbys office about 75% of the staff in his dept are on 457's or were at some point.
Also a lot of companies will advertise in the professional magazines eg Australian civil engineering.
If you set yourself a time limit and you are not successful then the other route is perhaps to go back to the UK and look at an international company with a long term view of getting relocated?
Good luck mate
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Rather than trying to compete with x number of Aussie graduates for x-y number of positions, can you get a working holiday visa? You can then stay here for a year and try and get work/contract positions with a company, and failing that work in a pub or something to tide you over. That way you'll have a lot more time to prove your worth to a prospective employer.

This is what I did, although I was not a graduate, and arrived at the height of the boom, but i'm employed by a very big engineering firm now. Good luck
Old Sep 7th 2009, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Matt712 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Construction Industry - Good, Bad or Plain Ugly

Hi,

Scotdownunder - Thanks for your advise, I am currently in Brisbane at the moment, but am not terribly fussy about where I go in Australia. Although I am not sure about going to remote parts, as I enjoy city life too much. I guess the best bet is to wait and see what comes about. I can apply for any jobs in the UK from here anyway (internet). I guess if I get an interview in the UK and still have nothing here, than I would have to go back. Thanks also for the tip on the professional magazines, I will definetly have a look. I am thinking about trying Queensland State Library down the road to see if they have them. If not any ideas where else I could look, like an Aussie WHSmith. Lol.

jimbo_d - Thanks for sharing your views, I am on a working holiday visa currently but am not sure how much that counts for in companies who are advertising full time positions. I read only yesterday in the paper that construction showed real signs of picking up and should continue to improve as we head towards 2010, any signs of that in your firm?

Thanks to you both.

Matt
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt712
Hi,

Scotdownunder - Thanks for your advise, I am currently in Brisbane at the moment, but am not terribly fussy about where I go in Australia. Although I am not sure about going to remote parts, as I enjoy city life too much. I guess the best bet is to wait and see what comes about. I can apply for any jobs in the UK from here anyway (internet). I guess if I get an interview in the UK and still have nothing here, than I would have to go back. Thanks also for the tip on the professional magazines, I will definetly have a look. I am thinking about trying Queensland State Library down the road to see if they have them. If not any ideas where else I could look, like an Aussie WHSmith. Lol.

jimbo_d - Thanks for sharing your views, I am on a working holiday visa currently but am not sure how much that counts for in companies who are advertising full time positions. I read only yesterday in the paper that construction showed real signs of picking up and should continue to improve as we head towards 2010, any signs of that in your firm?

Thanks to you both.

Matt
Matt, get in there and tell them youre the best thing since sliced bread and youre doing them a favour. In short mate, bullshit. It may not sit comfortably with you but what have you got to lose. Good luck mate.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

murph_ne is an unknown quantity at this point

Matt,

I've just graduated with a civil engineering degree any have been thinking about coming over to Australia myself. Have you had any luck getting a job there yet? Have you managed to find something in the meantime to tide you over for money?

Tom