Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is it compulsory to own a small white dog in Australia?

Is it compulsory to own a small white dog in Australia?

Old Apr 18th 2010, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Joannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to all
Default Is it compulsory to own a small white dog in Australia?

Ok so I've been here about 15 months now and as far as I can ascertain it appears to be compulsory to own a Maltese....anyone else noticed this?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it compulsory to own a small white dog in Australia?

Yes but not necessarily white! However, it must be fluffy and of mixed breed.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Joannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to all

Oh Thank goodness...I thought next time I come through Australian customs I was going to be handed one....As for me I have two big brillient lolloping Greyhounds...I've noticed the larger dogs seem to be frowned upon....some small dog owners will not even say hello to big dog owners when passing in the street....its all very very strange!!!!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:11 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joannec2014
Ok so I've been here about 15 months now and as far as I can ascertain it appears to be compulsory to own a Maltese....anyone else noticed this?
I've found that a black dog with a 'ute attached by a bit of string is de rigeur around these parts ... but we are a bit ... country ... yuk-yuk-yuk!

Maybe the fluffiness of the dog is in direct proportion to the number of coffee outlets with a certain radius?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Thank goodness...I thought next time I come through Australian customs I was going to be handed one....As for me I have two big brillient lolloping Greyhounds...I've noticed the larger dogs seem to be frowned upon....some small dog owners will not even say hello to big dog owners when passing in the street....its all very very strange!!!!
Not the case where I take my apricot coloured, fluffy multi shitting poo! We all mix together. In fact the big dogs are quite often scared of the small ones. We also have a few BBQ in the summer at the dog park as there are gas ones available. Also most Fridays we have drinks and nibbles whilst the dogs play - how civilised is that!!!!!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:18 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Larger dogs are not frowned upon at all. They are adored but from afar. I think the fashion for toy dogs is a shame here, but sometimes the perception is that they are easier to handle than say a dog like mine (a GSP) or yours...
although we both know greyhounds are passive sorts...and that FWD's can carry their own curse of yappiness and aggression if not trained... but then people buy them to fit in handbags so god knows they're asking for it.

The FWD (Fluffy White Dog) syndrome has unfortunately invited lots of mixed breeding in back yard/puppy farming situations but buying from pet shops is still legal here, so puppy farming will go on until it's made illegal.

Thousands of FWD's up for adoption.

Surreally though, whilst the Aus norm used to be a bored cattle dog in the back garden left unattended and unwalked, it's now more common to have a FWD. At least they might get more attention being fluffy and cute and all that.

Big dogs are just scary to people who have little dogs perhaps...?

My GSP ADORES little white fluffy dogs... but she couldn't eat a whole one.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Maybe its just the anally retentive people round here then! Sounds great having a barbie at the dog park very social! Maybe we should start a dog-park-people exchange program!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:20 am

Maybe its just the anally retentive people round here then! Sounds great having a barbie at the dog park very social! Maybe we should start a dog-park-people exchange program!
We have dog park socials occasionally. It's fun.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

The FWD (Fluffy White Dog) syndrome has unfortunately invited lots of mixed breeding in back yard/puppy farming situations but buying from pet shops is still legal here, so puppy farming will go on until it's made illegal.

I don't know if you've heard of Cesar Milan, but he is a dog psychologist with a show on tellie called the Dog Whisperer, I never miss his shows. He did an expose on puppy farming and I think it would make most people think twice before getting a dog from a pet shop....I'm proud to say both my dogs are rescues one we brought with us from the UK and then we got our other dog here from Best Friends Rescue.

Big dogs are great too!!!!!!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:54 am

Yes I know of him. He gets pretty good results. Nice looking guy though.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 5:42 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

My puppy was supposed to be a maltese x shih tzu, she looked like a maltese x shih tzu, the breeder told me she was a maltese x shih tzu. 9 months down the line she looks like a maltese x shih tzu x 'random mutt'!! I actually think there is a bit of staffy in her! But she is cute as hell and I love her to bits!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:27 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

We have a little, fluffy mutt, but he's black. He came from a rescue centre where my daughter was volunteering for her D of E. He's got a great character and isn't yappy. He also knows he's a dog, not an accessory!
We've always had big dogs before, but decided that because of where we lived in Sydney it wouldn't be fair to have a big dog who couldn't run off leash every day. Most people around where we lived had small dogs for similar reasons.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kar-kier
My puppy was supposed to be a maltese x shih tzu, she looked like a maltese x shih tzu, the breeder told me she was a maltese x shih tzu. 9 months down the line she looks like a maltese x shih tzu x 'random mutt'!! I actually think there is a bit of staffy in her! But she is cute as hell and I love her to bits!
Sounds like mine. Sold as a maltese x shi but has probably poodle or bichon in her. Have you got a picture?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:25 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I've found that a black dog with a 'ute attached by a bit of string is de rigeur around these parts ... but we are a bit ... country ... yuk-yuk-yuk!

Maybe the fluffiness of the dog is in direct proportion to the number of coffee outlets with a certain radius?
At least they are attached by string, round here some aren't even attached- I often wonder why they never jump out at traffic lights
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:40 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
At least they are attached by string, round here some aren't even attached- I often wonder why they never jump out at traffic lights
They are guarding the dead backpacker's body in the back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.