Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Compulsive Obsessive Behaviour Disorder

Compulsive Obsessive Behaviour Disorder

Old May 11th 2006, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Compulsive Obsessive Behaviour Disorder

I wonder if anyone else aside from my OH suffers with this?

After reading an article on this recently, I became aware that there is a high percentage of the population that suffers with this to a degree. The symptoms can be fairly mild and often mistaken for superstitious behaviour - or they can be extreme and dominate a sufferers life.

My OH admitted to me freely the other night that he though he suffered with OCBD and I think he may be right.

Here is a list of his symptoms:_

we have a small print on the wall and below it sits a table lamp. When the lamp is on the glow upwards frame the print in golden rays, but should the lamp have been moved to a fraction of a degree - the impact is lost. He is always moving the lamp to make sure the effect is there - and I forever move it away when I am dusting

He also has a compulsion to tear all the tags of my collectible teddies - he says they look stupid and he can't bear it that they all sit on the dresser with stupid tags on their ears!??

He has loads more - too numerous to mention - the one with colour matching ornaments so I can't even have a scented candle unless it fits with the colour scheme of the intended room !!!

Does anyone else suffer with this?
Old May 11th 2006, 8:09 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compulsive Obsessive Behaviour Disorder

Originally Posted by sasbear

After reading an article on this recently, I became aware that there is a high percentage of the population that suffers with this to a degree. The symptoms can be fairly mild and often mistaken for superstitious behaviour - or they can be extreme and dominate a sufferers life.

My OH admitted to me freely the other night that he though he suffered with OCBD and I think he may be right.

we have a small print on the wall and below it sits a table lamp. When the lamp is on the glow upwards frame the print in golden rays, but should the lamp have been moved to a fraction of a degree - the impact is lost. He is always moving the lamp to make sure the effect is there - and I forever move it away when I am dusting

He also has a compulsion to tear all the tags of my collectible teddies - he says they look stupid and he can't bear it that they all sit on the dresser with stupid tags on their ears!??

He has loads more - too numerous to mention - the one with colour matching ornaments so I can't even have a scented candle unless it fits with the colour scheme of the intended room !!!

I have treated hundreds of people with OCD over the years.

G
Old May 11th 2006, 8:10 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Did any of them live?

(*just joshing with you Grayling )
Old May 11th 2006, 8:12 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Now are you sure he's not gay
Old May 11th 2006, 8:12 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Which have you found more successful - drugs or CBT? I think this is something that CBT works well with?

Sue
Old May 11th 2006, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Now are you sure he's not gay
No - No and No again will you not be told HE is NOT gay - he always finds the right hole when playing golf
Old May 11th 2006, 8:15 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Not suggesting your OH is affected, but I believe an awful lot of autistic people have OCDs. I know several ladies with autistic children, and all are quite badly affected with obsessive/compulsive behaviour patterns.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

My BIL has it really bad. It takes him over an hour to leave his house as he has to keep checking that he has turned the gas off, the lights off etc. He has it worse when he is under stress.

My FIL's wife is the same, only she is more of a cleaner. Everything has to be just right and she is always cleaning. She even has to arrange the gravel in garden every day.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WendyC
My BIL has it really bad. It takes him over an hour to leave his house as he has to keep checking that he has turned the gas off, the lights off etc. He has it worse when he is under stress.

My FIL's wife is the same, only she is more of a cleaner. Everything has to be just right and she is always cleaning. She even has to arrange the gravel in garden every day.

I used to know a girl years ago now who had a similar 'cleaning' thin.

Boy - she was sure useful when she came to visit
Seriously it sure is a wierd disorder
Old May 11th 2006, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I keep trying to get her to come visit, but she's always busy....cleaning.

If you go to her house, you have to smoke in the garden, that doesn't bother me, but she empties the ashtray as soon as you flick any ash in it. It really can drive you mad

Funnily enough though, she is a cleaner at the local pub. It's always spotless.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

I've seen my neighbour get in and out of his car anything up to 12 times to check his front door is locked, before he eventually drives away. May be more to do with his insecurity at the moment though. He's an MP.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:25 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Which have you found more successful - drugs or CBT? I think this is something that CBT works well with?

Sue
I am a CBT therapist.

Drugs can sometimes help but CBT is the first choice.

G
Old May 11th 2006, 8:25 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna

Sue
OCD is an anxiety overload situation. The rituals provide relief to the sufferer. Drugs help reduce and control the level of anxiety so then the CBT can have a greater impact. People don't develop or gain control over their thinking patterns overnight. Often OCD is linked to traumatic experience(s) at an earlier age.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:47 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Compulsive Obsessive Behaviour Disorder

oooooooo
that sounds like me...must have ocbd

Old May 11th 2006, 8:52 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
oooooooo
that sounds like me...must have ocbd
I would strongly advise against self diagnosis. If concerned seek a qualified professional,eg; psychiatrist or psychologist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.