Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

To Comprehend How Big Australia Is.......

Wikiposts

To Comprehend How Big Australia Is.......

Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:44 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default To Comprehend How Big Australia Is.......

Just to give you some idea how big Australia is here's the story of the cop whose beat is bigger than Britain:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006010,00.html
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:50 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: To Comprehend How Big Australia Is.......

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Just to give you some idea how big Australia is here's the story of the cop whose beat is bigger than Britain:

What a legend.

Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:19 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Comprehend How Big Australia Is.......

His poor wife...! Dunno about his patrol of 300k km2 being one seventh of the state though... thought NSW was about 800 km2...
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rodders39
His poor wife...! Dunno about his patrol of 300k km2 being one seventh of the state though... thought NSW was about 800 km2...
hmmm, according to wikipedia the land area of NSW is 800'642km2 so I reckon you're right!!!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:39 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon and alex
hmmm, according to wikipedia the land area of NSW is 800'642km2 so I reckon you're right!!!

In any case, I just cant imagine watching an episode of the bill where a copper says, "Ive gotten a call about some rowdy behaviour in Inverness, I'll be back in a few days"
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

In any case, I just cant imagine watching an episode of the bill where a copper says, "Ive gotten a call about some rowdy behaviour in Inverness, I'll be back in a few days"
Yeah right!!! I imagined being called to an abandoned car in Skye!
Reckon it must be pretty lonely though and I wouldn't fancy it much. Good luck to the bloke!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:57 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Where I lived in Northern Ontario our local OPP station had 2 cops who rotated shifts. The station house closed at 10 pm and was not open on weekends or holidays. If you needed to get in contact with a cop it was either Marathon or Thunder Bay; both 160km away - Marathon to the east and Thunder Bay to the west. One of the cops was a friend of mine and he patrolled about 100km of highway every day.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:07 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

From To Distance Time (Hours)
Melbourne To Sydney 882 miles 9 Hours
Sydney To Brisbane 938 miles 10 Hours
Brisbane To Cairns 1700 miles 19 Hours
Cairns To Darwin 2855 miles 31 Hours
Darwin To Broome 1878 miles 20 Hours
Broome To Perth 2102 miles 24 Hours
Perth To Alice Springs 3616 miles 39 Hours
Alice Springs To Adelaide 1534 miles 17 Hours
Adelaide To Melbourne 729 miles 8 Hours
Total 16234 miles 177 Hours

My calculation of driving times
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:42 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
From To Distance Time (Hours)
Melbourne To Sydney 882 miles 9 Hours
Sydney To Brisbane 938 miles 10 Hours
Brisbane To Cairns 1700 miles 19 Hours
Cairns To Darwin 2855 miles 31 Hours
Darwin To Broome 1878 miles 20 Hours
Broome To Perth 2102 miles 24 Hours
Perth To Alice Springs 3616 miles 39 Hours
Alice Springs To Adelaide 1534 miles 17 Hours
Adelaide To Melbourne 729 miles 8 Hours
Total 16234 miles 177 Hours

My calculation of driving times
Yo TB...

Are you sure you haven't got your miles for Kms mixed up...?
Some of that looks like averaging 150+ kph which should get all sorts of people interested in your life story...
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:46 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
Yo TB...

Are you sure you haven't got your miles for Kms mixed up...?
Some of that looks like averaging 150+ kph which should get all sorts of people interested in your life story...
Yes your right sorry still thinking in miles but the website showed everything in Km Long drives though whether in Kms or miles
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:56 pm
Timelord

Originally Posted by thebears
...Long drives though whether in Kms or miles...
Yup... We drove Sydney to Cape Tribulation and back in August/September last year... Some great places but also huge stretches of just absolutely nothing...