Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Company Trying to Screw Us Over??

Company Trying to Screw Us Over??

Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:15 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Company Trying to Screw Us Over??

Ha! when I did work experience as part of my studies I got next to nothing for it, come on you are a second year student!

.....if I could've got that sort of money for a year in Oz as an undergrad I would've bitten their hand off up to the elbow.

If you don't like the money wait until you've finished your degree and amassed a nice little student debt, but most employers would favour grads with a year of on the job experience.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a bloody good deal to me... especially taking into account you will have (virtually) no living expences..

Otherwise ditto the caustic remarks you have garnered from the OPs
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of the cereal ad on the TV at the moment with the daughter telling her father about what he should be eating. His response? "Obviously I'm not young enough to know everything".
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Reminds me of the cereal ad on the TV at the moment with the daughter telling her father about what he should be eating. His response? "Obviously I'm not young enough to know everything".
Are you my long lost twin? The exact same thing came to mind for me.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Originally Posted by comet555
I think $50,000 + accom + travel is hoping for way too much to be honest.
I know it sounds arrogant asking for so much but if I finish my degree I'll be on over $100,000.

Originally Posted by upyerfud
You probably won't appreciate my view , but here goes.
You come across as typical of a lot of young people who seem to think because you have done a whole year and a half at university you are in some way better than some-one who works at Tesco's. You currently have no experience or qualifications relevant to the position offerred and still seem to think $5-600 a week net for a working holiday is not enough. What makes you think that people who work in jobs like Tesco's etc are in anyway less clever than some 2nd year student?. I remember being in 2nd year a lot of years ago and can tell you that I knew bugger all about anything.
What I suggest you do is turn down the offer and stand back and watch the rush from fellow students a bit more savvy and less arrogant than you. Go and work in Tesco's for a year and then send your CV to BHP, RIO etc when and if you graduate. See if they prefer a years shelf stacking experience to a years site work in OZ.
I used tescos as I DID work for them for 3.5yrs and some of my best friends work there! I don't think any worse of them for it was merely pointing out that tescos work is incredibly simple, no brainer whilst working for a company that expects graduate standard work is surely worth more money.

To Everyone:

I didn't mean to sound arrogant or whiny, merely hacked off that the amount of money on offer keeps getting smaller without explanation... You'd be annoyed if your paycheck shrank every month without reason wouldn't you??

As the market salary for my degree is above £35k (which is what we were promised originally!) then I don't think that £23k for someone 2/3rds of the way through their degree is that bad.

I just want what I was promised eg a damn sight more than £16k!!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:03 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

As previously stated, you volunteered for the post. Your choice, I agree.. that as matters have progressed the company has moved the goal posts.

That isnt right.

However, presumably you are sponsored, by a company within UK, anyway, so what wage are you currently on.. if this has been stated, apologies.

Ste
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:14 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like it could be a great experience regardless of the wage - I did a summer in the US for special needs (nothing to do with furthering my career) and I only earnt pocket money basically (accom, food provided) but I had a great time, learnt alot about people, learnt a heck of alot about myself and even went back a 2nd time.

I would wait until getting the paper contract - I am assuming that in general South American wages are lower than the UK, so it is unlikely they would pay more for them. They probably need to paid UK people more as they are harder to entice with lower wages.

$50K in Aus for a wage where you don't have many outgoings to me would be fantastic and would go far.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
As previously stated, you volunteered for the post. Your choice, I agree.. that as matters have progressed the company has moved the goal posts.

That isnt right.

However, presumably you are sponsored, by a company within UK, anyway, so what wage are you currently on.. if this has been stated, apologies.

Ste
Volunteering implies no pay...this was all about the money!

I'm not sponsored by anyone, that kind of thing rarely happens here. There are lots of £2000pa scholarships available but unfortunately I'm not elligible for these

I support myself entirely through the minimum student loan and any money i can get my mitts on through part time jobs. The financial side is very important to me as I have financial commitments in the UK to take care of as well as living out there.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:32 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
I know it sounds arrogant asking for so much but if I finish my degree I'll be on over $100,000.

I used tescos as I DID work for them for 3.5yrs and some of my best friends work there! I don't think any worse of them for it was merely pointing out that tescos work is incredibly simple, no brainer whilst working for a company that expects graduate standard work is surely worth more money.

To Everyone:

I didn't mean to sound arrogant or whiny, merely hacked off that the amount of money on offer keeps getting smaller without explanation... You'd be annoyed if your paycheck shrank every month without reason wouldn't you??

As the market salary for my degree is above £35k (which is what we were promised originally!) then I don't think that £23k for someone 2/3rds of the way through their degree is that bad.

The experience you will gain in Australia or South America is going to leave you in a good position especially on your CV, and knowing minining companies like i do , they like people with a bit of get up and go.........$100,000 a year is peanuts even in Sth Australia, hardly a Month go,s by were we lose a driver to the mining industry or related company.................mm
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:40 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Volunteering implies no pay...this was all about the money!

I'm not sponsored by anyone, that kind of thing rarely happens here. There are lots of £2000pa scholarships available but unfortunately I'm not elligible for these

I support myself entirely through the minimum student loan and any money i can get my mitts on through part time jobs. The financial side is very important to me as I have financial commitments in the UK to take care of as well as living out there.
Perhaps then, a stint at tescos part time may be your best option, whilst keeping up your studies.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:03 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point everyone is making though, is that you HAVEN'T finished your degree, currently you're pretty much an unknown quantity. You could, like so many others, decide to drop out for whatever reason... at the moment you're worth no more than any other student with no experience in the field.

True enough comment. But the experience you gain will be worth far more to you in the future. Don't lose out on that just because you want to bitch over a few dollars now. Like others have said, there are people WITH experience & quals bringing up families on less money than that.

To Everyone:

Well tough mate, that's life. Neither you nor the Company have signed a contract, so you either suck it up or work in Tescos. Having a paddy about it won't change things so you either look at the positives you've been offered or forget it. Your choice really.

Best of luck whatever you decide
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice

Originally Posted by eddie007
Sounds like a bloody good deal to me... especially taking into account you will have (virtually) no living expences..

Otherwise ditto the caustic remarks you have garnered from the OPs
This bloke is only trying to find out if it sounds like the company is trying to screw him over or not, he's not asking people how much anyone thinks he's worth. For what it's worth wait til you get the contract in writing then mention what was promised and you can make a decision then. Best of luck to you.
Gary
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about the massive post...this needs a bit of explanation!

I'm currently a 2nd year Mining Engineering student, before xmas an un-named mining supplies company gave a presentation offering 3 of us a year in Oz between our 2nd and 3rd year and at the time they said "market salary for a graduate" and gave an example of £35k...

Come to the interviews about a month-6wks later and they said the salary would be $50kAUS so about £23k which was still fine with all of us. I was successful and accepted the job (no contract signed yet) based on that sum of money + accom + travel + food when on site.

A few days ago the 2 students offered places in South America on an identical basis e.g. same pay, same benefits, just different country, got their contracts through... The pay added up to less than £16k!!!

The way I see it is that I can earn £13-14k by working in Tesco's...why the hell would I move all the way to Oz, leave all my friends and family, delay my degree for a year just for an extra £2k?? Especially as Tescos wouldn't require me to use any brain power and I'd only have to work 40hrs a week max instead of spending weeks in the desert without a cold beer or hot woman in sight.

Also the pay of $50k AUS was part of a verbal contract which should be echoed by the paper contract as that was the basis that I accepted the contract on.

We haven't recieved our contracts yet but if they echo the low pay of the South America ones what would you reccomend?? I know there are quite a few people in the industry on here and would appreciate your views.

Pefect Example

"Generation Y"
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazclaire
This bloke is only trying to find out if it sounds like the company is trying to screw him over or not, he's not asking people how much anyone thinks he's worth. For what it's worth wait til you get the contract in writing then mention what was promised and you can make a decision then. Best of luck to you.
Gary
I agree, I think everyone's being way too harsh on him. For him to have been one of only a few targeted for the position shows he's obviously a promising student. Why shouldn't he get what he can from a mining company, they'll certainly make as much money as they can from their employees! It sounds like they are trying to rip you off if they keep changing the salary.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:27 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

You're totally right, but you can't really compare your salary after the degree to now. Without a degree you can't do a whole lot of engineering work without close supervision. Quite honestly I doubt there is much mining engineering you could do. I'm not sure what the degree is like there but my husband spent the first two years taking lots of math, science and geology courses. The third year is when they started to specialize into the mining aspect of things. So his first two summers of work were spent doing surveying and generally helping out in the office and doing diagrams and things like that.

So hoping for $50k for that is a bit steep in my mind. However, you totally have the right to be ticked off about all of this. I don't think it's right that the salary keeps changing on you. So at some point you'll either have to do a bit of negotiating or you'd have to just go along with it. Either way I can bet there's a lot of other graduates that would go even if the pay wasn't so hot, only they'd be going for the experience they would gain and they leg up they'd get once they'd got their degree.

So, try and get as much as you can, there's nothing wrong with that. The question you need to ask is why are you going, and how much will you go for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.