Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Come on and name them!

Come on and name them!

Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:32 am
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Come on and name them!

I've started a few threads trying to get to this point, but somehow it deviates down a different, more general, path.

Can people name, and please be specific and detailed about it, the reasons why Australia is a 'better' place to be/live than England/UK.

It seems to be the generally accepted 'fact' that Australia is better. It's one of those 'everyone knows that' things in life where if you think something different people think you're weird and need your head checked.

So, put up or shut up. Why is it that we all have to love Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane or wherever the hell you are and think that wherever the hell you came from (Liverpool, London, Bristol, Manchester, York, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow) is crap?

I really want to know. Seriously.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Come on and name them!

Aus because........................................... ...

None of my debtors know where I am
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:23 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

doesnt matter where you are as long as you are happy . To try and compare aussie to the uk like for like is impossible .
For every brit i know who love australia , i meet an aussie who loves living in london , reason they are young and want a good social life , the brits on the other hand are generally family orientated and aussie suits them untill the kids grow like mine did and one at least has naffed off back to europe because australia is boring as bat shite for him personally .
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:27 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Australia is not better it's just different, a change of scenery, different attitudes, different climate...there was nothing wrong with England, I like it but also like to broaden my horizons.
It's a subjective question with no definitive answers you need to come and see for yourself
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future

The weather is better and ....erm......

i'll get back to you on the others....

lee
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:50 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Do you see women wearing bikinis in Tesco or Sainsbury?

and more importantly do you like seeing those women wearing bikinis in Coles/Safeway/Aldi

Of course they are wearing high heels in case some of you thought they were barefoot
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Do you see women wearing bikinis in Tesco or Sainsbury?

and more importantly do you like seeing those women wearing bikinis in Coles/Safeway/Aldi

Of course they are wearing high heels in case some of you thought they were barefoot

Oh God... I think my husband is going to want to do the food shop every week!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Oh God... I think my husband is going to want to do the food shop every week!
Does he like 'large' ladies with camel toes and muffin tops then, if so he will be in heaven
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Well, before we left the Uk we were struggling for places to take the boys for a day out that didn't require a second mortgage, particularly if the weather was bad.

Here, it seems that we won't ever have that problem.

Thats the first reason of many but I think its a good one for starters.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future

where you gonna take them then?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMRE
Does he like 'large' ladies with camel toes and muffin tops then, if so he will be in heaven
Hmmm... if he does like the sort of lady, I don't come out of this very well
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:53 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by camponotus
So, put up or shut up. Why is it that we all have to love Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane or wherever the hell you are and think that wherever the hell you came from (Liverpool, London, Bristol, Manchester, York, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow) is crap?

Hello! Just browsing around & spied the word Glasgow so just had to comment I am here in Glasgow right this very moment and looking out my back window at a world that is uniformly grey. Everything is grey - the houses, the pavement, the trees & most of the people...the sky is almost touching the street, there is no colour, and it's bloody freezing. It stays like this from about September until April, after which you might just get 10 days of 24 degrees (i.e. 'summer') before autumn kicks in. Not to mention the short days (I know it's dark early over there too but at least it's not subzero & totally inhospitable out!). Now, Scotland is a BEAUTIFUL country, for me the Highlands are amazing and close to my heart. It's a great place to visit. I've been to Uluru & dived the Great Barrier Reef, travelled in SE Asia and loads of Europe, but I don't think anything I've seen can incite the same emotion in me as those wild Scottish mountains. Which I will miss, when we're gone. And I'll miss the old buildings, the sense of history. I love the castles (omg I could get quite emotional here!). I really realy felt the newness of Australia when I was there, and I really missed seeing old buildings, it's hard to explain... But I don't live in a castle in an idylic glen, I live in a rough, cold, old city. At the end of the day, for me personally Glasgow is indeed 'crap' and I can't wait to leave! For the most part thru my eyes it's depressing, it's dirty and it's dark (on several levels) - there, I've named mine . I relish the prospect of the challenge of a new life Down Under and while I know there are drugs, crime, antisocial behaviour & inhospitable weather (of another kind!) etc etc in Australia, same as anywhere else, for me I want that life, not this one. I know many people love Glasgow and never want to leave it, many of my friends here included - I have no wish to offend anyone - each to their own It's just my opinion of & feelings about the place where I have lived on and off for the last 15 years, where I wish to be no more. I want some light & warmth in my life! (please no comments about wanting to leave here more than wanting to be there being the best way to fail as an immigrant - wanting to leave is not our main driver!)
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:00 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

'large' ladies with camel toes and muffin tops
I am tempted to say, "only in Brisbane"...

However, as with all generalizations there is an element of truth, albeit small.

It very much depends on which suburb/town and the time of day.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Pam.

I look out my window as I have done since the clocks changed last year and it is just grey - may be white every now and again with snow but it is just so blummin miserable day after day after day.

I have a little boy who I struggle to get out for a walk with as it is just so wet all of the time. We don't seem to have had many crisp, bright winter days.

The heating is on full blast for at least 6 months of the year. It is dark at 3.30 pm.

Our Summer consists of 4 may be 5 lovely warm days in between more rain, floods, wind etc etc.

It really gets me down!

Don't get me wrong I know in Oz you can have extremes of weather too but all of our family are in Perth and we want more than 3-4 weeks once a year together. I want my little boy to know his cousins and aunt and uncle.

I for one can't wait to go.......if we ever get there.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camponotus
I've started a few threads trying to get to this point, but somehow it deviates down a different, more general, path.

Can people name, and please be specific and detailed about it, the reasons why Australia is a 'better' place to be/live than England/UK.

It seems to be the generally accepted 'fact' that Australia is better. It's one of those 'everyone knows that' things in life where if you think something different people think you're weird and need your head checked.

We don't all think like that though - a fair few of us are here for family, and don't necessarily think that Brisbane is any better than Brighton.
Same sh*t, different bucket,,,,,,,,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.