"Coles" is for sale

Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Coles" is for sale

Originally Posted by Est
excellant - lets home adsa or sainsburys move in or in my dreams M & S - then we would have something to celebrate
As long as they keep them away from the Gold Coast you can have what you want I didn't move 12,000 odd miles to go shopping in poxy Asda or Sainsbury's or oh god please help me forget the place - M&S
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:23 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
As long as they keep them away from the Gold Coast you can have what you want I didn't move 12,000 odd miles to go shopping in poxy Asda or Sainsbury's or oh god please help me forget the place - M&S
I take it you didnt like M&S then Moneypen??? C x
Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Womat
The sharks have been circling Coles for quite some time, a consortium led by private equity firm KKR (U.S.) were thought to be behind an approach last year.

Local markets speculated on a range of possible buyers including Tesco, on which Coles models its business, and US giant Wal-Mart.
As no doubt has been pointed out somewhere in the thread, Coles rejected an offer from Kohlberg Kravis Roberts last year. The board had put a recovery strategy into place which included selling off Myer's, Bi-Lo etc and concentrating on Coles, K-Mart, Target and Office Works. They thought the strategy would work and that the KKR offer undervalued the business (probably wished they accepted now!)

Clearly the board now think the recovery strategy is/was not going to work and so have been looking for suitable suitors. The last I read a few days ago is that there were 5 or 6 potential bidders who all seemed to be venture capitalists, consortia etc and not existing retailers such as Tesco and Wal Mart (Asda in UK). Time will tell, Tesco probably has enough growth plans underway in Europe, Asia and America to be able to bite off Coles (the opening of their first Chinese store in either Beijing or Shanghai was on the news last week). I also read at the same time of encouraging recent financial results by Woolies in Australia.

If Tesco do take over Coles, look forward to a huge expansion of the microwavable meals section.

OzTennis
Old Feb 28th 2007, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Bix;4464172][quote=windog;4464009] and yes I am an old fart!

Can we put that to the membership ? Is this an idea for a poll ?

No, I think not, it would be a monopoly like the supermarkets
Or did I mean I'm old and I fart... I forget now...
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:33 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
If Tesco do take over Coles, look forward to a huge expansion of the microwavable meals section...
A very good friend of ours here in Sydney works as the proof reader for a magazine publisher in the food industry... The publisher and his wife returned a few months ago from a 6 week trip around the UK and France... We spent some time discussing the 'ready meals' situation at a dinner party not long ago... He's absolutely convinced that this will come to Oz shortly and will be an enormous hit... You have been warned...
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
A very good friend of ours here in Sydney works as the proof reader for a magazine publisher in the food industry... The publisher and his wife returned a few months ago from a 6 week trip around the UK and France... We spent some time discussing the 'ready meals' situation at a dinner party not long ago... He's absolutely convinced that this will come to Oz shortly and will be an enormous hit... You have been warned...

They've tried the ready-meal thing here already and it was a dismal failure.
Woollies trialled it in my local store (lots of busy double-income couples, flat-sharers etc around here) a few years ago. We had a special section full of Tesco-type ready meals which lasted for approx three months.

Trouble was they couldn't compete with the myriad cheap take-aways that people use currently, when they can't be bothered to cook.

Would you buy a pre-prepared, plastic packaged ready-meal for $10 when for $5 you could buy a freshly-cooked, hot equivalent from the take-away down the road? Neither did anyone else!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:40 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
...Would you buy a pre-prepared, plastic packaged ready-meal for $10 when for $5 you could buy a freshly-cooked, hot equivalent from the take-away down the road? Neither did anyone else!
When you put it like that, no...!

But he's adamant it's coming, and to stay...
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:55 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

When you put it like that, no...!

But he's adamant it's coming, and to stay...
yer mates a TOSSER................... mm
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:27 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windog
Obviously there must be a different Tescos somewhere that I havent found, because Tescos in the UK doesn't pass on any "value" to the customer. The produce is cr*p, it has had all the taste, and much of the "goodness" bred out of it in the quest for cheapness, not for value, but for profit, and if they havent managed it that way then it has been "nutricianally challenged " in the packageing process. The problem is most people have got so usedto supermarkets that they have forgotten, or indeed have never known what "proper" food is like (and yes I am an old fart! )

Same shit, different country. Actually its worse here cos theres only two competitors, at least in the UK there were 4 or 5 so prices had to stay low

We have taken to getting fruit and veg from local markets The gapes are crap through
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:21 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
The gapes are crap through
Do you refer to geen ones or puple ones ?
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bix
Do you refer to geen ones or puple ones ?
There's ed ones too!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
As no doubt has been pointed out somewhere in the thread, Coles rejected an offer from Kohlberg Kravis Roberts last year. The board had put a recovery strategy into place which included selling off Myer's, Bi-Lo etc and concentrating on Coles, K-Mart, Target and Office Works. They thought the strategy would work and that the KKR offer undervalued the business (probably wished they accepted now!)

Clearly the board now think the recovery strategy is/was not going to work and so have been looking for suitable suitors. The last I read a few days ago is that there were 5 or 6 potential bidders who all seemed to be venture capitalists, consortia etc and not existing retailers such as Tesco and Wal Mart (Asda in UK). Time will tell, Tesco probably has enough growth plans underway in Europe, Asia and America to be able to bite off Coles (the opening of their first Chinese store in either Beijing or Shanghai was on the news last week). I also read at the same time of encouraging recent financial results by Woolies in Australia.

If Tesco do take over Coles, look forward to a huge expansion of the microwavable meals section.

OzTennis
I'm no business guru, but I when I heard of Coles business 'recovery' plan last year I laughed. Yeah, lets rebrand everything as 'Coles'. So forget Kmart, iwe will rebrand it Coles, forget Liquorland, its now called Coles, forget Bi-Lo its now called Coles etc etc.

What an utterly crap idea.

Of course it can't be bought by Woolies. I'm guessing maybe Tescos or some private equity company will buy the supermarket bit. Others will buy the rest. Oh and I'm predicting the current Coles management have a employment expectancy of about 4 months.

JTL

JTL
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 8:37 pm
Timelord

Originally Posted by mr mover
yer mates a TOSSER................... mm
Quite possibly... But he does know a fair bit about the food business... Let's give it a couple of years and see...
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:41 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Quite possibly... But he does know a fair bit about the food business... Let's give it a couple of years and see...
I can go to any , pub in sth Australia ,[ B4 8am ] and get a Schnitzel, steak or fish and chips for under 9 bucks, 7 days a week.
Why do shopping or dish,s .
They tried frozen ready to cook meals ,they died a natural death.............. mm
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm inclined to agree that while the ready meals might work elsewhere that they won't be as successful in Australia. As pointed out, would people buy microwaveable meals of miniscule portions when they can eat out or get a take-away of better quality, often for a lower price? Where I come from in Melbourne (and where we will return to), within 2 mins by car, 10 min walk, we have a choice of a number of Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Italian, Greek, Japanese and Thai restaurants and a number of pubs who do excellent counter meals and countless fish and chipperies. There are also markets to buy fresh meat, vegetables and fruit from. Plastic meal from the microwave? No thanks. We'll see - as also said, the ready meals experiment has been tried a number of times without taking off.

OzTennis