Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Cold feet??? Is this normal???

Cold feet??? Is this normal???

Old May 16th 2010, 11:52 am
Wjuicypeach

Wjuicypeach has a spectacular aura aboutWjuicypeach has a spectacular aura aboutWjuicypeach has a spectacular aura about
Default Cold feet??? Is this normal???

Well our house has sold after what seemed an eternity, missives now concluded and have to be out by 5th June. Planning on heading over with hubby and kid's mid June. I've been planning this new life for sooooo long so why am I panicking? Is this normal?
Old May 16th 2010, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold feet??? Is this normal???

Yes.

I mean No.

Maybe?

Probably ... I think most people go through it, just hold tight and enjoy the ride!!

cheers
shears
Old May 16th 2010, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

yes for alot of ppl it is normal....

Your life is about to change in many ways from what you're used to, even if you don't like where you live it's where you've called home, worse if you've lived there a long time.

So i've been told you'll have wobbly days that are pretty normal for up to the first year after moving - remember you're pretty much starting your lfie over and that takes a while, if you were to move elsewhere in the UK it would still be stressful and you may have wobbles but lets face it you can drive to visit friends you leave behind etc...
I had a really wobbly day last week about moving, I could have cried all day but in the last 2 weeks thats my only down day and I feel pretty positive so far whilst in the midst of trying to sell off furniture - i'm sure it won't be great the day I say goodbye to a changing unit 2 of my babies have used but I do know that once it's out of sight there's lots of other things to distract me
Sounds harsh but out of sight is really out of mind for the most part....

Try not to dwell on whats making you wobble on focus on the things that make you feel excited about your new life - if that means immersing yourself looking at rentals or whatever and schools on the internet then so be it...

Allow yourself your tears and lets face it even when you're not moving the other side of the world many people have ups and downs where they've lived all they're life that causes great upset, I think the main thing is not to let it drag you down - once over there get out and meet as many people as you can, make sure you don't have time to dwell and if you're struggling get on here have a moan and see if anyone is near you and can help....

Good luck with your new life
Old May 16th 2010, 5:08 pm
Wjuicypeach

Wjuicypeach has a spectacular aura aboutWjuicypeach has a spectacular aura aboutWjuicypeach has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Shears and JenJen, your replies are much appreciated.
Old May 16th 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

I think it is totally normal! I have felt exactly the same as what you are describing and I think once you overcome each milestone selling house, giving in notice at work and the shippers arriving things do get better. It took me over two weeks to finally hand my notice in as this for me would be the point of no return. Having had many sleepless nights wondering if I am doing the right thing I can honestly say 'yes' it just brings everything home to you that this is for real. I feel much better now we are sorted and flying in July and I never thought I would get to this stage and feel positive!! Keep with it
Old May 16th 2010, 10:01 pm
Wjuicypeach

Originally Posted by nbn8
I think it is totally normal! I have felt exactly the same as what you are describing and I think once you overcome each milestone selling house, giving in notice at work and the shippers arriving things do get better. It took me over two weeks to finally hand my notice in as this for me would be the point of no return. Having had many sleepless nights wondering if I am doing the right thing I can honestly say 'yes' it just brings everything home to you that this is for real. I feel much better now we are sorted and flying in July and I never thought I would get to this stage and feel positive!! Keep with it
Thanks for that......hubby handing his notice in tomorrow. That is def our point of no return as his job is great with positions few and far between, giving up his job is more worrying than selling our house. Crazy i know.
Old May 16th 2010, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wjuicypeach
Thanks for that......hubby handing his notice in tomorrow. That is def our point of no return as his job is great with positions few and far between, giving up his job is more worrying than selling our house. Crazy i know.
Does he have to give notice or could he get a career break? Nothing like having belt and braces!!!!
Old May 17th 2010, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Quite normal. You are making a huge, life changing move, perfectly usual to question your decision.
Good luck!
Old May 17th 2010, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon it's a bit like having a child.
You go through the pregnancy trying to prepare yourself and getting excited at the prospect of the new arrival. Then labour starts and you start panicking about getting the baby out and wonder what on earth you'll be doing with it once it's out!
The main difference between moving to the other side of the world and having a baby is that you can always go back home or move again if you don't like where you end up.
After a baby, your life as you know it is over and you'll never get it back.
You can't give a baby back! Trust me I've tried
Old May 17th 2010, 5:05 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wjuicypeach
Well our house has sold after what seemed an eternity, missives now concluded and have to be out by 5th June. Planning on heading over with hubby and kid's mid June. I've been planning this new life for sooooo long so why am I panicking? Is this normal?
Quite normal...
Old May 18th 2010, 8:26 am
Wjuicypeach

Originally Posted by quoll
Does he have to give notice or could he get a career break? Nothing like having belt and braces!!!!
Well he did it, i did say to him about the career break thing but his company do not offer it. To be honest his boss was really positive and told him to go for it and he could get his job back if it didn't work out......don't know how that would be possible as his position is few and far between. His boss probably just wants him to b***** off
Old May 18th 2010, 8:27 am
Wjuicypeach

And a massive thanks to you ALL for your support