Clarkson

Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarkson

Originally Posted by GarryP
...or indeed the will of a million people who signed the petition, or the greater number around the world wanting the BBC to get a clue. Let's make sure we don't take a blind bit of notice of them.

A sense of proportion appears to be the main missing thing.
Yeah right, I know they claimed 1 million people signed a petition but do you really believe that? 65 to 70 million didn't sign. Surely we have to draw the line somewhere about what is and what isn't acceptable? He was warned countless times in the past so punching a producer over something as trivial as not getting his own way on a meal wasn't the best career move and he has to accept the consequences.

I wonder if Richard Wilson (Victor Meldrew) is available because apparently a grumpy OB is what the show needs.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I think someone will take the risk on Clarkson if his contract isn't renewed, even if they have to appoint minders to put him in a straight jacket and muzzle before work. Hammond and May? They'll do bits for the BBC but I think they'll keep their options open so they have freedom.

I was sort of hoping Clarkson would be punished by being forced to review bicycles for a season in the Pyreneese on French top gear.
When May was asked about the hotel incident he said, don't ask me, I was pissed at the time (i.e. I saw it and I think he overstepped the mark). Minder? He also thinks he's a bell end but a great guy.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:28 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Some of you seem to be behaving as though it's an important topic. It's quite bizarre.
The way I look at it, broadcasting as we know it is on the cusp of some big changes. One of those is the shift to globalisation, with the local getting crowded out as iptv takes over.

Top Gear *was* one of the few properties the Beeb had that had global appeal. And by dealing with a fracas in this way the Beeb have thrown that, and $100m, away.

More seriously, picture what you consider to be the typical Top Gear viewer. Think of the demographic. Then try and imagine what BBC programmes that demographic is going to still want to watch on the BBC. There's no easy fit, is there? Sport on the BBC is very poor now, and the bulk of the programmes appeal to the mindset of the type of person who was happy to say Clarkson should be thrown off a cliff.

So why the hell should that demographic, which is a sizeable %age of the population (like it or not) want to continue to pay a licence fee for nothing?

I've likened this dumb and ill considered act to Ned Stark in Game of Thrones - taking the moral, by the book, 'right' action at each stage; and in doing so gotten it horribly wrong and end up losing their heads (I doubt the licence fee will now reach 2020).

In itself, it's a $100m avoidable loss to the Beeb. In the wider picture is probably a day they will look back on and regret as the removal vans call.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:40 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_grenada
JE SUIS CLARKSON

Genius

S
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

They tried to get a "sack clarkson" petition together ..... it got about 20k sigs.

Face it, he has fans, lots of fans. They are obviously not fussed about him aiming a punch at some producer - so the beeb is dumb if they sack him. However it's looking very likely they are that dumb, so we see how it plays out.

Best guess is a new car show on Netflix, and a court case against the Beeb.
What about calling the producer a "lazy Irish ******"?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:49 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by criodain
What about calling the producer a "lazy Irish ******"?

So who to replace him then?

I'm nominating Boris Johnson, Stephen Fry or Vicki Butler Henderson...

S
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

To everyone defending Clarkson:

If you were abused and attacked by a superior at work, and they kept their job on the basis they made the company money - would you have no problem with that?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 11:29 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80

If you were abused and attacked by a superior at work, and they kept their job on the basis they made the company money - would you have no problem with that?
Think you are kind of missing that a superior abusing their staff is pretty much common, and they don't just keep their job, they get promoted. The only difference is they do it in snide and underhand ways that are within the rules, even if the effect is the same.

Or have you never had a boss like that? I can certainly remember more than one.

It's the position on the moral totem pole that gets me. Who's worse, the manager that shouts at a subordinate, or the one that sacks new hires after 11 months so that they never have 12 months served and thus become entitled to greater benefits and protections?

And don't forget, this producer had worked on Top Gear for 10 years - hardly hating it and Clarkson was he?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 11:30 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
So who to replace him then?

I'm nominating Boris Johnson, Stephen Fry or Vicki Butler Henderson...
Not possible to replace him. Best to accept that Top Gear, the show and the brand, is dead.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 11:35 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80

Reading the report it looks like ABH - the guy ended up bleeding. Not exactly your average workplace incident. There was probably little choice but to sack him, irrespective of how popular the show was etc.

S
Old Mar 25th 2015, 11:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

And don't forget, this producer had worked on Top Gear for 10 years - hardly hating it and Clarkson was he?
Irrelevant, they could have been best mates. Still doesn't make it ok for someone who's been repeatedly asked/told/warned by his bosses to pull his neck in to then physically and verbally abuse a colleague. First offence would be a different matter (possibly) but it wasn't. He's just a guy and it's just a programme produced by just a media outlet. Will TG finish? Yeah probably. Does it matter? No, not in the slightest. Will the BBC have to change? Yeah probably. Does it matter? No, not in the slightest.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:02 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Will the BBC have to change? Yeah probably. Does it matter? No, not in the slightest.
See, that's where we part company. The implications of one of the few trusted as unbiased media sources left in the marketplace ending up as roadkill DOES matter. I'd prefer a future with Murdoch and his descendents behind bars, not controlling media on a global scale without any counter. Does the end of TG ensure that? Nope. However it changes those odds markedly.

Hence my reference to Ned Stark.

Ho, hum, it's done now and things will now play out. Who knows, maybe they will be stupid enough to go to itv?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:19 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with this but it was probably the right decision - you can't go around belting your work colleagues without there being repercussions

I'm sure the BBC will try and carry on with TG without Clarkson, Hammond and May but it won't work - so they have effectively killed off one of their greatest brands (and cash cows). Usually not a problem with a commercial organisation but the BBC is owned by UK taxpayers (it shouldn't be but it is), so they are now out of pocket

Thankfully I'm not one of them
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone stop and think whether this bloke WAS actually a complete tool, and deserved at least the verbal abuse? I read that he took himself to A&E, so no-one else gave a shite

sad day, but as Zulu said, can't wallop your work mates even if they do deserve it.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't agree with this but it was probably the right decision - you can't go around belting your work colleagues without there being repercussions

I'm sure the BBC will try and carry on with TG without Clarkson, Hammond and May but it won't work - so they have effectively killed off one of their greatest brands (and cash cows). Usually not a problem with a commercial organisation but the BBC is owned by UK taxpayers (it shouldn't be but it is), so they are now out of pocket

Thankfully I'm not one of them
Bizarre comment. It's £145.50 a year for the licence and Top Gear going is not going to change that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.