Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light
Default Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Do/did any of you guys suffer from this and have you managed to successfully address it? If so, do you mind sharing your experiences from symptoms to treatments? Yaaawn!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

slktck has a brilliant futureslktck has a brilliant futureslktck has a brilliant futureslktck has a brilliant futureslktck has a brilliant futureslktck has a brilliant futureslktck has a brilliant future
Default Re: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Hi there, spotted your post.
I think there are lots of different things that get categorised as chronic fatigue syndrome - mine basically sprang from a glandular fever like illness (although all blood tests were always negative for gf) and i know quite a few people who had the same thing happen.
My main symptoms were obviously fatigue, swollen lymph glands, repeated tonsillitis, weakness, blurry vision etc. it never really got too severe although i didn't really go to college for a about 2 years whilst i had it. i was put on prozac which didn't seem to make any difference, but gradually improved (did lots of sleeping!) i then relasped after getting a flu like illness and went back on prozac for abnother few months.
That was 14 years ago now, i have worried that it would come back particularly when i've been sleep deprived with babies! but touch wood it hasn't so far although i still get tired more quickly than my husband and need more sleep. I get quite a lot of infections still but mild.
I think it just takes time for your body to recover, hope you are doing ok!!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

My immune system seems pretty good, although I'm no doctor. With five kids at school, there's always some bug floating about but I rarely get it. However, when I do mange to contract something, I seem to get it really bad. A simple cold that everyone in the house has, can knock me out.......

No matter how much I sleep (or not as the case may be), I can't shake off the feeling of total exhaustion. I'm too knackered to do almost anything except some basic functions.

.....I just don't have the energy to finish this post.....
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gobbledegeek

However, when I do mange to contract something, I seem to get it really bad. A simple cold that everyone in the house has, can knock me out.......

.....I just don't have the energy to finish this post.....

MAN FLU ALERT
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

My dad has had it for about 20 years. I think the younger you are when you get it the more likely a recovery. He has the chronic fatigue, depression (although he denies it), can barely walk more than 50 yards and has to use a stick. He also finds that even eating wears him out and alcohol is a complete write-off. Sometimes he can't even read because he cannot focus his eyes. He has good days and bad days but no sign of recovery as yet.

If you are female, could you be pregnant again? That knackers me every time!

Last edited by Iwannabethere; Sep 10th 2008 at 6:23 pm. Reason: Another thought
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm certain I'm not pregnant
Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Could be depression you do not have to feel down to have depression, it makes people very tired and unable to complete things. I know it happened to me and it was nothing to do with my mood, all physical symptoms. Know it was true because now I am well I can look back at it.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:44 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Is this what used to be known as yuppies flu? I remember hearing alot about it years ago but never now.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

could be anemia, have you had bloods tested?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:54 am
Just Joined

slktck has a brilliant futureslktck has a brilliant futureslktck has a brilliant futureslktck has a brilliant futureslktck has a brilliant futureslktck has a brilliant futureslktck has a brilliant future

I'm confused - do you have chronic fatigue syndrome or are you just trying to figure out why you are tired?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm trying to figure out why I am so damn tired. Tired is not really the word as I have little energy to do almost anything. I am constantly exhausted.

I'll have to visit the doc I guess. Thanks for the replies btw.

Last edited by Gobbledegeek; Sep 11th 2008 at 3:34 pm. Reason: missed our 'do'....doh!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

That must be really worrying, i think you'll feel better if you go to the doctors at least you will know! I remember feeling very confused about what was happening. Chronic fatigue syndrome usually has some symptoms other than tiredness i think but as i said, loads of things can go under this name.
good luck!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

katamina will become famous soon enoughkatamina will become famous soon enough

This guy was on 'This Morning' the other day & appears to have done quite a lot of research into it - dunno if it's of any help or just twaddle......

http://www.endfatigue.com/
Old Sep 11th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by katamina
This guy was on 'This Morning' the other day & appears to have done quite a lot of research into it - dunno if it's of any help or just twaddle......

http://www.endfatigue.com/
Hmmm. The 'free program' offered an extremely comprehensive 'diagnosis' considering the amount of questions I didn't or couldn't answer. As a guide, this might be useful but taking any advice as gospel without a detailed consultation with your own GP, would be foolhardy to say the least.

There is plenty of other useful information on the site and well worth a read but I wouldn't advise anyone to pay upfront for a 'full diagnosis'.

Thanks for the link.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice

Hi Gobbledegeek

Take a look at this website

http://www.healthrecovery.com/HRC_20...peningPage.htm

I have been through all different kinds of tiredness, joint pain, exhaustion and other stuff would rather not say. Had Glandular Fever at 16 (40 now) don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Regular doc tested my iron and said it was ok. Orthomolecular doc in Gold Coast tested in more detail and it was dangerously low.

Had iron injections and now on vitamin therapy for Pyroluria (details on website and Google has some info) and high Histamine.

Unbelievable how these simple things cause havoc with energy, anxiousness, even addiction etc.

All sounds a bit odd if you haven't heard of it before but it really is fascinating. Especially when you see some things run in families. I look at mine and think 'text book case'!

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Gobbledegeek
Do/did any of you guys suffer from this and have you managed to successfully address it? If so, do you mind sharing your experiences from symptoms to treatments? Yaaawn!