Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Christmas lunch in Oz

Christmas lunch in Oz

Old Nov 18th 2007, 12:44 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Christmas lunch in Oz

Originally Posted by v moore
My christams lunch will be cold. It will consist of pasta tuna in a tub been kept coldin my works fridge.
I will be working on christmas day so mr bravo will be also eating a cold lunch also and alone.

So everyone out there please think of me at work while you all enjoy christmas. have a great time when the moment comes around.
we'll pull a cracker for you! working on christmas day sucks!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

stevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
My mother in law and I were at loggerheads a few years ago over whether to have a hot or cold Christmas lunch. I think if it's stinking hot then a cold one is the way to go but she reckons Christmas lunch should always be the traditional hot one.
What will you do if the weather is in th e high 30's on Christmas day?
Our first family xmas in Queensland, the kids demanded hot xmas dinner. It was the hottest day of the year, the poor missus worked all day cooking. 3pm we all sat down but just didnt feel like eating. Have a xmas dinner in July and a cold buffet in December.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

We've been invited over to a friend's house, one of whom is Greek and always does a traditional Greek dinner - souvlakis, Greek salad etc.
So we'll be Brits, in Australia having a Greek Xmas dinner
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DianneH68
We've been invited over to a friend's house, one of whom is Greek and always does a traditional Greek dinner - souvlakis, Greek salad etc.
So we'll be Brits, in Australia having a Greek Xmas dinner
That sounds excellent, I love Greek food... Must cultivate some greek friends very quickly!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Mmmmm.I love Greek food too.
Now I`m perplexed.people keep talking about cooking a turkey on the bbq.How? Do you mean a whole turkey christmas lunch size actually cooks completely on a barbie? Surely the inside would be raw while the skin is ,well,bbq`d. Explanations pls.
Just moved to a new house where the oven does notwork and been told its too close to christmas to replace it!!!!!!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

The new fangled BBQ's have a rotisserie thing in there so you can do roasts
Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

well we will have been in Oz less than a month so not plannign much at christmas BUT the kids have asked for a barbie on the beach!!!! Do aussies REALLY do that or have ibeen watching to much tv
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Annie_ is a jewel in the roughAnnie_ is a jewel in the roughAnnie_ is a jewel in the roughAnnie_ is a jewel in the roughAnnie_ is a jewel in the rough

we tried a cold lunch the first year but it didnt feel christmassy enough, so I whack on the A/C and bung in the turkey!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

still undecided, trouble is if we don't have the full works on Christmas day the bubble and squeak just won't taste the same on Boxing day
S xx
Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
well we will have been in Oz less than a month so not plannign much at christmas BUT the kids have asked for a barbie on the beach!!!! Do aussies REALLY do that or have ibeen watching to much tv
I dont know anyone thats ever done the Xmas on the beach type thing, but I expect there are plenty of people that have celebrated in this manner.

Back to OP, we generally go hot. In fact one year, we cooked a very large turkey as we had more visitors than usual. It was a hotter xmas than usual here in Melbourne. Hardly anyone indulged in the Turkey which we left sitting under one of those slotted type cover things to cool so we could place it in the fridge. Well nature being nature, along came a thundery change, and what happens with these Thundery changes, the ants go marching. About 2 hours after the meal had finished, my wife decided to deal with the Turkey and place it in the fridge, to be greeted with one mass of moving ant mound, there were 1,000's of the buggers having their own xmas lunch on it. There were some very pee'd of people that year.

Only in Aussie