Chopper Read

Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chopper Read

Hearing that Chopper Read may only have days (hours?) to live an Aussie friend of mine was on FB yesterday wishing him well and a smooth journey to the other side.
Initially thought she was kidding and being sarcastic- after all this guy has admitted to assault/numerous murders and kidnapped & tortured people (and then wrote books about it).
Was surprised to hear that she was deadly serious and thinks that there should be more like him 'ridding the place of the scum of the earth'
I struggle to get my head around this revered 'celebrity status' of criminals?(and the well he was only murdering scum line - well i'm not sure that'll get him a pass through them pearly gates, it wasn't like he was performing a civic duty)
So has Ned Kelly been truly knocked off his perch as the most notorious outlaw of Australia? Was he really just a goody in disguise all along..
Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chopper Read

Chopper is the one criminal in Australia since Ned Kelly that has been written into Australian folklore with admiration. Chopper no doubt is a murderer and criminal - murder of any kind is wrong, but he never murdered random innocent people, they were all as bad as him with regard to their criminal activity. And the thing with him is that he's very funny, intelligent and charismatic. The movie about his life was another insight into his life that made people take notice. When I first heard Chopper wouldn't make Christmas, I was sitting in the car with my eldest and she didn't know who he was. I showed her a pile of videos of him and of Ronny Johns being Chopper - we were both in fits of laughter. I'll never condone what Chopper has done in his criminal past, but I will be sad to see him lose his battle.

Last edited by Kim67; Oct 1st 2013 at 10:09 am.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Chopper only affected my life in a good way. The movie gave me plenty of giggles. Anyway .... who are we to judge.

Chopper: Why would I shoot a bloke BANG, then drive him to the bloody car and wizz him off to the hospital at a hundred miles an hour? It defeats the purpose of having shot him in the first place

Chopper: I'm just a bloody normal bloke. A normal bloke who likes a bit of torture

Chopper: Aw, look. The bloke's been my best mate since 1975. We've had our fall-outs from time to time. It's no big deal. It's like... if your mum stabbed you.

Chopper: Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos: Nah, forget about it.
Chopper: Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Neville Bartos: Forget about it. All right?
Chopper: I mean, what the bloody hell were you doing getting lippy at me with a bloody shotgun? I had a bloody loaded shotgun.
Neville Bartos: The leg is okay, all right?

Chopper: Beethoven had his critics too, Keithy, see if you can name three of them.
[Keithy continues walking back and forth, confused]
Chopper: That's right, you can't.

Chopper: [Jimmy has stabbed Chopper seven times] It's all right, Jimmy. I don't hate you. You just broke my heart.

Chopper: I used to be Chopper Read. Now I can't even get arrested in this bloody town
Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:07 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

he was a criminal and a murderer regardless as to how you dress it up. Scum fighting scum. Would rather focus on remembering good people who have done nothing but good in the world.

Good riddance
Old Oct 1st 2013, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

At least Chopper served his time, admitted his crimes and turned over a new leaf when he got out.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 2:15 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
At least Chopper served his time, admitted his crimes and turned over a new leaf when he got out.
He still killed people and did unspeakable crimes mate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopper_Read

Whilst no one wants to harp on to his old life he certainly isn't worth revering IMO
Old Oct 1st 2013, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
He still killed people and did unspeakable crimes mate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopper_Read

Whilst no one wants to harp on to his old life he certainly isn't worth revering IMO
No, as I've said, I don't condone any of his criminal activities, but they guy is very entertaining (though a little scary, wouldn't like to have actually been in his company).
Old Oct 1st 2013, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67
No, as I've said, I don't condone any of his criminal activities, but they guy is very entertaining (though a little scary, wouldn't like to have actually been in his company).
Often sociopaths are intelligent, funny and very manipulative - there's always a nasty undercurrent of behaviour

He was known to exaggerate and embellish his stories to make himself sound good. He didn't always just hurt crims

Nothing to like about this fella other than he had the balls to make money from writing about his criminal pastime and people fell for the crap he sprouted. The money he made should have gone to charity.

Naaaa.....nothing good about this guy mate
Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Often sociopaths are intelligent, funny and very manipulative - there's always a nasty undercurrent of behaviour

He was known to exaggerate and embellish his stories to make himself sound good. He didn't always just hurt crims

Nothing to like about this fella other than he had the balls to make money from writing about his criminal pastime and people fell for the crap he sprouted. The money he made should have gone to charity.

Naaaa.....nothing good about this guy mate
That kind of goes against the grain of serving your sentence and rehabilitation. Both of which Chopper successfully completed. Of course we could always lock 'em up, throw away the key, for every person that's ever committed a crime.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz
That kind of goes against the grain of serving your sentence and rehabilitation. Both of which Chopper successfully completed. Of course we could always lock 'em up, throw away the key, for every person that's ever committed a crime.
Or we could just let him die in peace, say nothing out of respect but not forget what a hateful flucker he was during his lifetime

This was no small criminal and no small crime. And the thread is about revering a hardened criminal.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:35 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Or we could just let him die in peace, say nothing out of respect but not forget what a hateful flucker he was during his lifetime

This was no small criminal and no small crime. And the thread is about revering a hardened criminal.
No it isn't. The OP queried why he's apparently revered considering his history. Personally I've not heard of anyone revering him. Plenty of people commending him for turning his life around after paying his dues but that's something else imo.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No it isn't. The OP queried why he's apparently revered considering his history. Personally I've not heard of anyone revering him. Plenty of people commending him for turning his life around after paying his dues but that's something else imo.
I stated that the OP was wondering why her friend on Farcebook was revering a hardened criminal. Nothing confusing about that. I highlighted hardened criminal as Boez indicated "every person that's ever committed a crime" which is not a hardened criminal.

Paedophiles serve their sentence - doesn't mean people forgive or forget - in many peoples views they will always be a paedophile - same applies with people who have committed heinous crimes such as murder e.g. Moors murderers and Yorkshire Ripper.

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Oct 1st 2013 at 5:08 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that this guy has done the time that the court/law required of him

If he has not been convicted of something that he has (allegedly) done then that's not his fault but the system's
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My understanding is that this guy has done the time that the court/law required of him

If he has not been convicted of something that he has (allegedly) done then that's not his fault but the system's
Agree but would you revere the guy as per the OP friend on Farcebook?
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:28 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Agree but would you revere the guy as per the OP friend on Farcebook?
No

He's a convicted criminal but not the first to become popular and famous

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.