Reload this Page >

children's seatbelt laws, utes and air bags

children's seatbelt laws, utes and air bags

Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:39 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default children's seatbelt laws, utes and air bags

Hi

Does anyone know the laws in Queensland relating to:

When kids can ride in the front of a car?
When they can come out of a car seat and into a booster?
When they can use just a car seat?
When they can go in the front of a ute?
Can you put them in a car seat in the front of a ute?

I know you cant put baby seats in the front

I have checked Queensland transport, called the RACQ but its all very vague. I currently have 3 car seats in the back of a CRv and am going to change for a larger car but sometimes would like to pick up another child and don't because I can't work out when I can move one into the front. Same with the ute and even going in taxis is a bit of a mystery.

ABC perhaps?

Thanks a million
Vivienne
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: children's seatbelt laws, utes and air bags

Just found this but you've probably already seen it:

When can my child sit in the front passenger seat?
There is no set legal age in Queensland for when a child can sit in the front passenger seat. The Department of Transport and Main Roads recommends that children sit in the back seat — it is the safest place for a child. Once a child is old enough to use a booster seat, they are able to sit in the front seat (using the booster). When vehicles have passenger side airbags, parents/carers should check the car's owner's manual before putting a child in the front. If you have to put a child in the front passenger seat of a vehicle with a passenger side airbag, ensure the seat is pushed back as far as it will go.

It is legal to use a capsule or car seat in a ute or van, as long as there is sufficient space and an anchor point is installed.

Generally the booster and baby seats give details of the height and weight for the child so you go from that info as well.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:34 am

Thanks Moneypenny!

So I guess the law doesn't dictate as such which is why you can go in a taxi.

I wish they did just have an age/weight though then the guilt would be off me!

V
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
Thanks Moneypenny!

So I guess the law doesn't dictate as such which is why you can go in a taxi.

I wish they did just have an age/weight though then the guilt would be off me!

V
That's too hard I think. What happens with a tiny adult? I think as long as the seat belt sits properly on the shoulder, with or without a booster seat, then they're fine in the front. Nothing worse than seeing a small kid with the belt nowhere near securing the child. Scares the hell out of me. The amount of airbags all around cars now is a nightmare for people with little ones though. Wasn't a problem when mine were tiddly, I think we had one air bag in the steering wheel so never an issue.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:53 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
That's too hard I think. What happens with a tiny adult? I think as long as the seat belt sits properly on the shoulder, with or without a booster seat, then they're fine in the front. Nothing worse than seeing a small kid with the belt nowhere near securing the child. Scares the hell out of me. The amount of airbags all around cars now is a nightmare for people with little ones though. Wasn't a problem when mine were tiddly, I think we had one air bag in the steering wheel so never an issue.
We used these car seatbelt attachments when my kids were younger:
Attached Thumbnails children's seatbelt laws, utes and air bags-p4080012.jpg  
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by paulry
I've been looking for something like that. My youngest would still have to have a proper seat and my middle one is quite small so I bought a proper harness to go with seat belts and a booster as opposed to using the actual seat belt directly but those things are handy.

I may go over the baby shop tomorrow and find out. I am also thinking of having my air bag passenger side disabled.

I really need to get a bigger car, its not often I get stuck but it would be good to have around

V
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

We had one of those I wouldn't use it in the front though. Neither girl was allowed in the front until they were tall enough to be seated without booster and the belt worked properly. However, as the rules stand, and how they are enforced (or not) it seems it's down to you (general) and what you're happy with.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

are the November changes to children under 7 in cars Australia wide, or just for Victoria?

From Nov aged 7 and under, needs proper restraints, cannot sit in front, unless all other seats are occupied by under 7's or it is a 2 seater car.

There is more but that's all I picked up for now.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:36 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
I've been looking for something like that. My youngest would still have to have a proper seat and my middle one is quite small so I bought a proper harness to go with seat belts and a booster as opposed to using the actual seat belt directly but those things are handy.

I may go over the baby shop tomorrow and find out. I am also thinking of having my air bag passenger side disabled.

I really need to get a bigger car, its not often I get stuck but it would be good to have around

V
I think we got ours at Mothercare.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 1:48 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I think we got ours at Mothercare.
- aw, was it THAT long ago Paul.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 2:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pomster
are the November changes to children under 7 in cars Australia wide, or just for Victoria?

From Nov aged 7 and under, needs proper restraints, cannot sit in front, unless all other seats are occupied by under 7's or it is a 2 seater car.

There is more but that's all I picked up for now.
It should be Australia wide, but I am not sure if each State will be bringing it in at the same time, although I have read that WA is doing the same.

29 February 2008, Canberra
http://www.atcouncil.gov.au/communique/atc27.aspx

Ministers today announced unanimous support for new national child restraint laws, which provide a safe pathway from capsules to seat belts.

In response to calls from road safety experts and the community for tougher minimum standards, children up to 6 months old must be restrained in a rearward facing infant capsule; then a forward facing child seat until the age of 4; and a booster seat from 4 to 7 years old.
The new road rules will reduce the risk of injury caused by seat restraints which are unsuitable for the child's weight and height.

The reform package also recognises the increased safety protection offered by rear car seats.
A child under 7 years old must be seated at the back, unless all the rear seat positions are occupied by other young children (under 7 years old).