Centrelink query

Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Centrelink query

I am wading through the web site but thought there may be someone on here who knows......

A lad, who will be 18 next week has fricking obnoxiousincompetent wankery uncaring parents who earn a fair wack but don't give him anything. He works about 6 hours a week at a fish and chip place but has to give half his pittance to them. Centrelink haven't been able to help him because of the parents earnings but they're kicking him out of home today. Now I think that because he can prove they're kicking him out and the fact that he'll be 18 means that he must be entitled to help now surely???????

Also, never had to deal with the homeless issue here, but would he go to the Council to see if there's temp emergency accommodation he's able to get or should he go to a charity? If so, does anyone have any names of organisations that may be able to help?

I just want to cry for him, and have done and want to help but for certain reasons I am unable to put him up here.

Anyone know anything I'd be grateful and I'll get back to digging in Centrelink.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:17 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Centrelink query

http://salvos.org.au/need-help/youth-issues/

Start here right away (salvation army)- he needs emergency help. Centrelink may give him money to start with but on the whole I'm not sure they will help out the way they do back home.

I'm also trying to find out some info for you.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:18 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I am wading through the web site but thought there may be someone on here who knows......

A lad, who will be 18 next week has fricking obnoxiousincompetent wankery uncaring parents who earn a fair wack but don't give him anything. He works about 6 hours a week at a fish and chip place but has to give half his pittance to them. Centrelink haven't been able to help him because of the parents earnings but they're kicking him out of home today. Now I think that because he can prove they're kicking him out and the fact that he'll be 18 means that he must be entitled to help now surely???????

Also, never had to deal with the homeless issue here, but would he go to the Council to see if there's temp emergency accommodation he's able to get or should he go to a charity? If so, does anyone have any names of organisations that may be able to help?

I just want to cry for him, and have done and want to help but for certain reasons I am unable to put him up here.

Anyone know anything I'd be grateful and I'll get back to digging in Centrelink.
I'm not sure that Centrelink will do anything in a hurry and he'll probably have to jump through hoops and require parental co-operation in establishing that he has been kicked out which of course won't help him short-term.

What about contacting someone like the Salvos? Possibly not ideal but they might at least point him in a helpful direction?

Awful situation but goodonya for trying to help get him sorted. It would be all too easy for this to set the lad on a bad path... for him.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:19 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
http://salvos.org.au/need-help/youth-issues/

Start here right away (salvation army)- he needs emergency help. Centrelink may give him money to start with but on the whole I'm not sure they will help out the way they do back home.

I'm also trying to find out some info for you.
What's the saying "great minds think alike and fools seldom differ"
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:20 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
What's the saying "great minds think alike and fools seldom differ"
Indeed. It was actually the first place that popped into my head.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:23 am

http://www.homelessyouth.com.au/

Also, if he is on the Gold Coast (I'm assuming he is) these guys may be able to help right away. It's worth a try.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, that's great. I've told him I'll go to any appointments with him but he's in such a shit place in his head that he doesn't believe anyone cares and so when offered help, he assumes it's being done for the wrong reasons. He knows me better than that but there's still that no one cares, I'm on my own, I need to do this alone and then not do anything because he's lost.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:46 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Moneypenny...sorry to hear about the boy you know

As far as Centrelink goes...not sure exactly what'll happen there as he's already 18, but my son managed to get centrelink fairly quickly when he moved out of home at 17. He couldn't live by our house rules & our relationship completely broke down. I had to have a phone interview with centrelink confirming he could no longer live at home with us. I also had to give the phone number of a family friend who could confirm what had been happening at home. He then got centrelink payments & rent assistance.

Hope this helps
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, that's great. I've told him I'll go to any appointments with him but he's in such a shit place in his head that he doesn't believe anyone cares and so when offered help, he assumes it's being done for the wrong reasons. He knows me better than that but there's still that no one cares, I'm on my own, I need to do this alone and then not do anything because he's lost.
Please don't take no for an answer Pen. He's upset and hurt, so thinks nobody cares. Tell him you're going with him and show him that someone really does care. He's only 18 and needs someone to help him.

I'm with the other great minds...Salvos. They have been an absolute sanity saver for me and a lifesaver for my son.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Please don't take no for an answer Pen. He's upset and hurt, so thinks nobody cares. Tell him you're going with him and show him that someone really does care. He's only 18 and needs someone to help him.

I'm with the other great minds...Salvos. They have been an absolute sanity saver for me and a lifesaver for my son.
hear hear!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 6:28 am
Feeble Minded

It's so sad. In many ways at that age they think they know so much and appear so grown up but when something crap happens it all goes to pieces. We've had similar stuff with my stepson when he moved out, voluntarily I hasten to add, but at the first sign of trouble, he's all little boy lost, and I don't blame him, things like Centrelink can be a minefield for an intelligent mature adult let alone for a 17/18 yo. It's just fortunate that there are kind people out there like yourself that will do their level best to help.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

mariandsm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi moneypenny, I'm Marian and I work at the Department of Human Services in a team answering Centrelink questions posted in online forums, and through social media.

Eligibility for Youth Allowance depends on several factors, including independence. If a person is assessed as independent they are exempt from the Parental Means test. There's more info about independence and the criteria for this on the the Centrelink website here; http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ndependent.htm

Here is a link to the general Youth Allowance eligibility criteria; http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...a_eligible.htm.

A young person might claim they are independent as it is unreasonable for them to live at home - this could be due to extreme family breakdown, violence in the home, or threats to health or well-being.

Claims for independence under 'unreasonable to live at home' criteria are usually assessed by a Centrelink Social Worker, and both the customer and their parents are usually involved in the assessment before payments are granted. It would not be sufficient for a parent to call Centrelink and state that it is unreasonable to live at home.

Your friend should contact Centrelink on 132490 to discuss possible assistance. Centrelink Social Workers are also available to talk to on 13 1794. They are trained professionals who will listen, give support and help with referrals to services and advice.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Thank you Marian, that's really helpful. I'll pass it on. He's being an awkward bugger at the moment but I am keeping on at him.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Thanks Helen . I used to be helpful like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.