cathay pacific v singapore airlines

cathay pacific v singapore airlines

Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

advic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cathay pacific v singapore airlines

hi all

can get flights to melly with CP & SA for similar costs

what is HK like for a 3 & 4year old? want a little relax, not to be in a crazy busy city with 2 young 'uns

been to SIN before so kind off know what it is like

just wondered what both airlines are like really?

in flight entertainment for us and the kids...

which would come out ontop?

would the SIN>MEL A380 make a diff compared to to CP Jumbo

have you got any hotel recommendations in both cities?

cheers for the help

ad

Last edited by advic; Jan 12th 2010 at 7:04 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

advic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cathy pacific v singapore airlines

sorry i meant 'Cathay'

i cant edit the thread title

ad
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:47 pm
Ozbound

Ista will become famous soon enoughIsta will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by advic
hi all

can get flights to melly with CP & SA for similar costs

what is HK like for a 3 & 4year old? want a little relax, not to be in a crazy busy city with 2 young 'uns

been to SIN before so kind off know what it is like

just wondered what both airlines are like really?

in flight entertainment for us and the kids...

which would come out ontop?

would the SIN>MEL A380 make a diff compared to to CP Jumbo

have you got any hotel recommendations in both cities?

cheers for the help

ad
Hiya.

Both Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines are very good airlines, I'm not sure that there is all that much between them (I think Skytrax named Cathay Pacific as best in the world and Singapore Airlines the second-best!).

In terms of the cities...I've been to Singapore quite a few times and enjoy going there. My parents used to travel through HK with my brother and I when we were very young and I think my mum found that a bit stressful when we were really little (I was 1, my bro 5) but it was easier when we were older. Singapore might be relatively a little quieter and, also, you've been there before.

To be honest, if it was me, the A380 would sway me! I REALLY want to fly in one of those and it'll be brand spanking new as I think Singapore Airlines only got hold of them in 2008. It's the largest passenger airline in the world so I bet it'll be a real experience.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ista
Hiya.

Both Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines are very good airlines, I'm not sure that there is all that much between them (I think Skytrax named Cathay Pacific as best in the world and Singapore Airlines the second-best!).

In terms of the cities...I've been to Singapore quite a few times and enjoy going there. My parents used to travel through HK with my brother and I when we were very young and I think my mum found that a bit stressful when we were really little (I was 1, my bro 5) but it was easier when we were older. Singapore might be relatively a little quieter and, also, you've been there before.

To be honest, if it was me, the A380 would sway me! I REALLY want to fly in one of those and it'll be brand spanking new as I think Singapore Airlines only got hold of them in 2008. It's the largest passenger airline in the world so I bet it'll be a real experience.
and if you book the A380 online make sure to book the upstairs economy seats as they are great! This cabin was going to be premium economy when singapore ordered the planes but then they decided to just offer all as economy!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
and if you book the A380 online make sure to book the upstairs economy seats as they are great! This cabin was going to be premium economy when singapore ordered the planes but then they decided to just offer all as economy!
Not according to www.seatguru.com, they are just standard economy seats.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
Just booked those seats this morning.

sorry i meant 'Cathay'

ad
You could have edited your thread title by clicking on 'Advanced' when in edit mode.

But it's too late now as you can't edit your original post anymore.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Not according to www.seatguru.com, they are just standard economy seats.
Seats are physically the same but spacing is wider and in 2's at the windows rather than 3's so more private if travelling as a couple, plus the ratio of seats in that small section to toilets and flight attendents adds to the benefits of being up there.

You also have storage boxes at your side if sitting by window for your posessions so great for not having to stand up and get from overhead.

Overall much more pleasant experience than downstairs (I wandered down the stairs to have a nosey and there are hundreds of people crammed in with low ratio of toilets and staff.)
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

sorry i meant 'Cathay'

ad
Fixed
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

briwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nice
Default Re: cathay pacific v singapore airlines

You could always stay at Hong Kong Disneyland - it's very cheap and easy to get to in a taxi from the airport. The Hollywood hotel is nice and not that expensive - and if you book a park view has a view of the fireworks from the room - plus you get characters at the pool/lobby, all of which might appeal to the kids.

If you then want to go into town it's a relatively easy trip on the subway.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

clairey b will become famous soon enoughclairey b will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

We flew with singapore ailines when we travelled over on our reccie, although didn't stop over. We flew on the airbus, and on the way over were downstairs, but on the way back were upstairs(requested), which is so much better than downstairs! alot more room and alot fewer seats as another member has said.

When we flew over for good 6 months ago we flew with cathay. Have to say they were good, and can't really fault them, but out of the 2 i think we would go with singapore again. We had a stop over in HK for 3 nights and stayed at the Langham Place, Mongkok. Absolutely amazing hotel, and we booked directly through them and saved sooo much money! It is ideally situated in HK, but it is a very very busy city(well it was when we were there anyway?) although amazing to visit.

Best of luck with everything.

Claire
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:28 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I"d go Singapore Airlines

- Cathay's economy seats dont recline, which is good because the seat in front of you never encroaches on your 'face space' but its really bloody uncomfortable on a long flight because your seat back doesnt move. Your butt kinda slides forward on the cushion and you end up with a very very poor posture indeed.

- other than that - they are are both tremendous airlines.

- Hong kong for small kids is v.v.v.busy / bustling, vs singapore which is just 'mildly busy'. Food choices inHK are a bit tougher in HK too.

HK does have some fantastic things to see + do but for young kids on stopover I'd go Sing. even if it was the 2nd time
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:30 am
Ozbound

Ista will become famous soon enoughIsta will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by spalen
I"d go Singapore Airlines

- Cathay's economy seats dont recline, which is good because the seat in front of you never encroaches on your 'face space' but its really bloody uncomfortable on a long flight because your seat back doesnt move. Your butt kinda slides forward on the cushion and you end up with a very very poor posture indeed.
Whoa, that's crazy!!! I was thinking of flying over with them as am going to Fiji and they fly direct from Hong Kong but am not going UK - HK without being able to recline my seat! Is this standard across all their planes??
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

We've booked with Singapore as it's seems to be the most favoured here on BE.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ista
Whoa, that's crazy!!! I was thinking of flying over with them as am going to Fiji and they fly direct from Hong Kong but am not going UK - HK without being able to recline my seat! Is this standard across all their planes??
I'm one of the few people who would fly with them for that reason! I hate having someone almost lying in my lap, find it hard to get out of a seat when the one in front is reclined fully, and I have had several discussions with people over their "right" to eat meals with their seats reclined. If you have someone considerate in front, and you are considerate of the person behind, its OK, but that seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Having flown from Hobart to Melbourne today with a child in front who not only reclined the seat-back but bounced it up and down most of the way, I'd be in heaven on a plane where the seats don't move!!!

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 13th 2010 at 10:49 am.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:04 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm one of the few people who would fly with them for that reason! I hate having someone almost lying in my lap, find it hard to get out of a seat when the one in front is reclined fully, and I have had several discussions with people over their "right" to eat meals with their seats reclined. If you have someone considerate in front, and you are considerate of the person behind, its OK, but that seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Having flown from Hobart to Melbourne today with a child in front who not only reclined the seat-back but bounced it up and down most of the way, I'd be in heaven on a plane where the seats don't move!!!
I thought that too - but after about 10 sectors in these planes ive given up with them. They just kill my back you end up slouched for 8hrs.

The only way to survive economy Ive decided is to deploy guerilla tactics and recline your seat as much as theguy in front. I was for 30 yrs a sufferer because of my catholic guilt and upbringing and would not recline, remain stiff upper lipped ( and upper bodied ) but no longer..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.