Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Carpet cleaning advice

Wikiposts

Carpet cleaning advice

Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold
Default Carpet cleaning advice

Hi guys,

Sorry for the dumb questions, its just that we never used any carpets in our previous homes (always had hard flooring).

Now that we are renting a unit here in brissy, the 3 rooms, hallway and stair are carpeted.

We normally vacuum clean them once a week, but I have noticed the supermarkets have this vacuum cleaner you can rent for the day which supposedly washes the carpet. Has anyone tried using this, cost is $40/day plus cleaning liquids…

Or is it better to just call one of the cleaning companies in the classified ads that advertise carpet cleaning for $80 for 3 rooms?

The rooms don’t really get dirty since we don’t bring our shoes upstairs nor do we bring food up, its just the usual dust that tends to build up. No pets but 3 kids…..eldest tends to have asthma….

Also, how often would you recommend these types of “carpet washing” be done? Once/Twice a year?

Thanks for any advice for a carpet newbie!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carpet cleaning advice

If they look really grubby compared to when you moved in then I'd get a professional company in - you don't want to stuff the carpets up from not knowing exactly what you're doing (not that it's rocket science of course). If they look ok then leave them.

When you have the next rental inspection, don't ask but wait to see what they say about the carpets. Most people would just get them in when their tenancy was finishing in order to get the full bond back or if there was a particularly nasty spillage. Even then, it would be worth asking the agent/owner if they use anyone in particular for cleaning as they may get a special rate. If it's just general living usage, the owner would not expect them to stay pristine.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Before you do nothing check your lease - you may find that it says you have to get the carpets cleaned on departure and produce a receipt to say it has been done.

BTW - I usually get my carpets cleaned about every year to 18 months in high tread areas.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies Moneypen and Hebe!

actually, (although i dont think its true) my OH does say i am capable of stuffing up something like this if i do it myself... LOL reminds me of the time i started homebrewing beer (where sterilization of everything is of extreme importantce) and i accidentally dropped the beer mix can into the fermenter

will probably as a friend who has done it before for advice first....

once a year sounds pretty good! i was hoping i would hear that was what people would do, i would be really worried if people had them professionally cleaned every 3 months or something like that...
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

matrix_matrix will become famous soon enough

that carpet cleaner is great but unlike your $40 it cost £40 in homebase.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that if it's only $80 for someone else to do it then go for that!!! Once you have bought the cleaning fluid and paid for the hire you'll be up to 2/3 of that anyway. Sit back and have a cuppa and watch someone else do the hard work!!

Rudi
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:53 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obiwan
Hi guys,

Sorry for the dumb questions, its just that we never used any carpets in our previous homes (always had hard flooring).

Now that we are renting a unit here in brissy, the 3 rooms, hallway and stair are carpeted.

We normally vacuum clean them once a week, but I have noticed the supermarkets have this vacuum cleaner you can rent for the day which supposedly washes the carpet. Has anyone tried using this, cost is $40/day plus cleaning liquids…

Or is it better to just call one of the cleaning companies in the classified ads that advertise carpet cleaning for $80 for 3 rooms?

The rooms don’t really get dirty since we don’t bring our shoes upstairs nor do we bring food up, its just the usual dust that tends to build up. No pets but 3 kids…..eldest tends to have asthma….

Also, how often would you recommend these types of “carpet washing” be done? Once/Twice a year?

Thanks for any advice for a carpet newbie!
Go for it, we hired one of those a while back and it worked a treat on the carpets. Don't worry, it won't ruin them.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Dab a spot of white wine vinegar on unsemly marks, it generally works a treat. Failing that, raw bleach will have your carpet whiter than white.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Havent had any carpet cleaning experience myself but my sister has.She lives in Adelaide,and either uses one of the hire ones herself,or gets someone in to do them.She sometimes gets those pamplets in the letter box with special offers on.She has told me in the past that if she gets someone to do it for her,the carpets come out "drier"than if she did them herself?Also ensure if possible to do them/get them done on a nice sunny day so you can keep the house open to thoroughly dry them within 24 hrs!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:05 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Dab a spot of white wine vinegar on unsemly marks, it generally works a treat. Failing that, raw bleach will have your carpet whiter than white.
Hmmm.... I certainly wouldn't go for the whiter than white effect

My wife and I bought a carpet cleaner a few years ago thinking that in the long run it would work out cheaper than getting people in. But a large part of the expense is the cleaning fluid. So the last time we cleaned ours I tried out heavily diluted washing machine liquid. It worked a treat and the carpets came out clean and fresh smelling - and at a tiny fraction of the cost

(But don't be tempted to try washing up liquid because it foams and most carpet cleaners can't cope with foam).
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cool! thanks for all the helpful replies guys!!