Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

CARES or Baby B'air for Infant Flight?

CARES or Baby B'air for Infant Flight?

Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: CARES or Baby B'air for Infant Flight?

Best of luck with your flight on Thursday! :

I've had the bulkhead seats before and agree with you unless the babies small enough to fit in the bassinets then the're no good, as you said because the armrests don't lift up its impossible for a littley to get comfy.

We've decided to treat ourselves this time (got a brilliant deal) and we're flying business class. We're going Cathay Pacific and on the London Hong Kong leg i think the seats recline to flat beds , the only problem is their laid out in a herringbone type pattern so the wee one wouldn't be right next to me if she did fall asleep in her own seat.

Thats why i thought that some type of restraint would be a good idea, it might give me a few extra seconds/minutes if she did wake up before she went for a walk about!

Either that or she is going to be on my lap the whole way!
In which case I should have probably just went economy!

Lindsay x

Originally Posted by 22B
My advice is to make sure you DO NOT get the bulkhead row.

These seats don't recline as much as others, but the main drawback is that the armrests don't lift up, so the child is unable to stretch out for sleep.
Get in a normal row, lift the armrest, kid's head on your lap, body stretched out on his/her own seat. I recently flew SYD-LHR, and my 2yr old was only awake for 7 of the 24hrs (and 2 of those in Bangkok airport where he could run around). (OK, a bit of drowsy anti-histamine helped, but being able to lie him down was my life-saver.)
There might also be other crying babies in the bulkhead row, which could set your own child off.

I also spent a couple of days beforehand talking to him about "The Captain", so when The Captain said 'seatbelts on', by God he sat down sharpish. I also got the steward to impersonate The Captain to get him to not jump on his seat, etc. Worked a treat! Hope DS is not over it for our flight home on Thursday

Good luck!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

This is what I'm worried about, especially if the wee one has fallen asleep in her own chair

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7900892.stm

Lindsay x
Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:39 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
This is what I'm worried about, especially if the wee one has fallen asleep in her own chair

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7900892.stm

Lindsay x
This is exactly the reason why we wear our seatbelts for the entire flight. The only time we take them off it to go to the bathroom or get something from the overhead bin.

I've been through sudden turbulence before (not like that though) and I know how it can come out of the blue. Our kids have been taught to always wear their seatbelts. A bit tough for a 2 year old though, he doesn't like to sit still.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thats the worry, with an infant if she falls asleep in her own seat, and you hit turbulence?

Even if shes on my lap, or the seat right next to me and we've both fallen asleep, if we were to hit sudden turbulence she wouldn't have a chance? Thats why i think some form of restraint would be good, even if just to give me peace of mind.

Lindsay x

Last edited by desperatehousewife; Feb 20th 2009 at 1:01 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:00 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

The Cares Restraint would definitely keep the child in the seat. But obviously they would have to sleep sitting up.

Our son HATES to sit still and is always on the move. So getting him to sit still was difficult. But he did eventually fall asleep crying and then slept for a really long time. Not ideal, but he was safe in his seat. Plus, I knew he was safe in his seat so was able to sleep as well. The hard part is getting them used to it and having them fall asleep in the first place.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by comet555
Our son HATES to sit still and is always on the move. Plus, I knew he was safe in his seat so was able to sleep as well. The hard part is getting them used to it and having them fall asleep in the first place.

He might like to be introduced to my daughter, I think they may be two peas in a pod!

As you say knowing Eva's secure would allow me to relax, and hopefully sleep myself!

I just wonder if the B'air attached to her seat belt would be enough to keep her secure during any unexpected turbulence, because I'm a bit worried that she's going to be too little to be comfy in the CARES system.

I have a feeling I'll be buying both, plus the sling I've already bought!

Lindsay x