Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Carbon Tax: Julia Gillard a Bare Faced Liar?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Is Julia Gillard a bare-faced liar?
Gillard is justified in breaking her pre-election promise.
18.67%
Gillard is a bare faced liar and has no mandate to impose a carbon tax.
81.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Carbon Tax: Julia Gillard a Bare Faced Liar?

Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:21 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Carbon Tax: Julia Gillard a Bare Faced Liar?

The problem with governments of most persuasions is that they want to make a mark and whenever they legislate a new part pops up with the supporting apparatus.

Good governance and administration is just far too boring to make headlines and win votes.

The US has the same issues including right win nutcase states like Texas.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The government could be made much smaller if they really wanted to. For instance; introduce a low, flat rate tax with no allowances, benefits etc, bring in self-certification and no need to submit tax returns - you could reduce ATO and Centrelink staff by 75%, saving billions.

etc
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:23 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Blah blah blah. Bottom line is I personally, along with you get to foot the bill for another piece of shitty ill thought and ill implemented legislation which will achieve on a global scale 9/10s of bugger all.

Putting aside the election promise - why not she has - I wonder just how much more financial pressures can heaped upon the average Joe.

This year we look forward to increased water bills (oh the irony of that), increased power bills, increased rates, a flood levy and now we're going to raise the cost of everything some more.

And what do I get for my money as a taxpayer ? Nothing I don't already have.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I'm struggling to believe that according to the poll, 7 people so far think Gillard is justified.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:51 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
I'm struggling to believe that according to the poll, 7 people so far think Gillard is justified.
But then some people believe in Scientology as well.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:01 pm

And others find Alan Jones more nausiating than a ginger taff.
Originally Posted by Centurion
But then some people believe in Scientology as well.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
And others find Alan Jones more nausiating than a ginger taff.
Speaking of Alan Jones. This interview with Juliar Gillard is priceless...

http://www.2gb.com/index2.php?option...k=view&id=8186
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:22 pm

But informs you of nothing which is usual of talk back hosts. Good to get the anger going for the dim of society.
Speaking of Alan Jones. This interview with Juliar Gillard is priceless...

http://www.2gb.com/index2.php?option...k=view&id=8186
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:03 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

A skilled politician would get the story straight. ....
Like that's ever happened in this reality.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:05 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Nukes can be made smaller now for lower loads, but large ones would allow for future expansion. I think we should go all out for nuclear and do the whole lot - mining, processing, power, submarines, weapons. It's criminal that there is not one, decent solar collector here. Spain has just built a huge one and it's awesome. Wind power is not all it's cracked up to be but it is part of the solution - we could easily have 1000s of them. Why no wave power?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS10_solar_power_tower
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andasol..._power_station
Nuclear is old polluting dirty technology. Better to wait to see if fusion lives up to the promise.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:07 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

A
Australia doing something is the equivalent of one person pissing into the worlds oceans.
I agree with you on this point. If Aus became carbon neutral tomorrow it would have almost zero effect on world-wide CO2 emissions.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

zoetropo is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder when we will be rid of the carbon tax we've been burdened with for the past 30 years? The one set at about 100%. On petrol. Tony Abbott ought to roundly attack the party that introduced that one.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:13 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Scrap welfare (and the DSS) for a start and the Police can more than pay for themselves via speeding fines. Healthcare is paid for via the Medicare levy which comes out of each persons pay already anyway. Public utilities should be a user pays system. For example roads are paid for via vehicle licensing, car rego and petrol tax.

Defence can be paid for by a GST which would more than cover the budget.

Shit! What does the govt do with the rest of the money it steals off us? Piss it down the drain? Govt junkets?
You could spend all the saved tax on private security to keep the mob at bay
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:20 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by Wol
That's what I'm saying.

I think Steve Forbes was one of the proponents of this when he was running in the USA.

Rebates, allowances, exemptions and so on are what destroys tax systems. They generate thousands of jobs for tax lawyers, invite fraud and make it impossible to enforce the laws.

Not to mention the ludicrous politician-generated anomalies such as for example getting a first homeowners' grant when you have had a house in the UK and are paying tax at the highest rate, or giving handouts for kids when you are trying to cut carbon emissions - the lsit goes on!
The thing is tax can have other functions apart from revenue raising. Other functions include directing investment into certain areas, control of a limited resource and as a substitute for regulation. These are functions that governments find hard to resist.

I've lived though a couple of governments that have simplified tax systems only for them to become more complex several years down the road.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:23 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I see this is a great thing..... means that Julia Gillard will not be Prime Minister for much longer as the carbon tax wont be introduced while she is PM..... WOOOHOOO
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:26 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I would also include capital gains as income - some people earn their "income" as capital gains through things such as share trading.

I would increase inheritance tax to 50% with no allowance - its a great tax and we should have more of it.
Personally I think inheritance tax is a barrier to social mobility. It creates a drag on the poor to becoming rich. It's actually an appealing tax for governments as it hits hardest the people who think it's a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.