Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Carbon Tax: Julia Gillard a Bare Faced Liar?

View Poll Results: Is Julia Gillard a bare-faced liar?
Gillard is justified in breaking her pre-election promise.
18.67%
Gillard is a bare faced liar and has no mandate to impose a carbon tax.
81.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Carbon Tax: Julia Gillard a Bare Faced Liar?

Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Carbon Tax: Julia Gillard a Bare Faced Liar?

So with the announcement of the "Price on Carbon" tax, is Gillard breaking a pre-election promise that "there would be no carbon tax under a government that I (Gillard) lead"?

Bare faced liar or is the broken pre-election promise justified?

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Feb 25th 2011 at 12:24 am.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carbon Tax: Julia Gillard a Bare Faced Liar?

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
So with the announcement of the "Price on Carbon" tax, is Gillard breaking a pre-election promise that "there would be no carbon tax under a government that I (Gillard) lead"?

She lied. Here comes the deluge of bullshit taxes to pacify The Greens.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Australia's competitors will be pissing themselves laughing as our manufacturers and entrepreneurs shed jobs to pay for it.

The "Cap and Trade" system they are going to use to trade the carbon credits is also a joke, check this video out. It's actually from a greenie so a lot of what she says is IMO bollocks, but this is what the greenies think of Cap and Trade and it coincided with what I think too - who'd have thunk it?

If they do introduce Cap and Trade I'm going to attempt to trade the f**k out of it and make a packet as a speculator - I'm sure that's why they are going to do it, right?

Last edited by renth; Feb 25th 2011 at 12:48 am.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:47 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Politician.

You mean you didn't realise every politico can be trusted about as far as you can throw them?

As it is, I have relatively little problem with costing the carbon pollution; so she shouldn't have made the original daft statement. HOWEVER, she hasn't linked that with an undertaking that it will be revenue neutral - which she should. Its ok and positive to cost CO2, to push those 'orrible brown coal power stations out, but it has to be combined with support for improved insulation, more efficient devices, solar power, etc. - matching the tax take.

And someone should be taking a very close look at profiteering by the generation companies as well.

Oh, and it has to be levied on the resource extractors as well.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Australia's competitors will be pissing themselves laughing as our manufacturers and entrepreneurs shed jobs to pay for it.
Cap 'n trade will make it worse but a not-widely-reported stat is Australian manufacturing is already suffering badly. Last year it was the 2nd worst performing in the world after Greece AFAIR.

Interesting article on the "Dutch disease" and how Aus manufacturing is suffering here
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
She lied. Here comes the deluge of bullshit taxes to pacify The Greens.
Oh yeah...
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

If they do introduce Cap and Trade I'm going to attempt to trade the f**k out of it and make a packet as a speculator - I'm sure that's why they are going to do it, right?
That's why Turnbull supports carbon trading.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The "Cap and Trade" system they are going to use to trade the carbon credits is also a joke, check this video out. It's actually from a greenie so a lot of what she says is IMO bollocks, but this is what the greenies think of Cap and Trade and it coincided with what I think too - who'd have thunk it?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pA6FSy6EKrM
It's a crock of shit. If our government is serious about reducing carbon then they could do this:
Take half of the NBN cost, cut middle class welfare and cut government redtape. With the money saved, and some privte investment, they could build:
Nuclear power stations
Solar collectors
Geothermal plants
Wind Turbines (100's of them)
Wave-power systems
Close all coal-fired power plants
Mandate ever increasing efficiency targets for vehicles, buildings, factories
etc

What they are proposing is going to lead to ever increasing taxes and billion $ profits for bankers.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:44 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure which alternative reality you've come from but before the last election in this reality she said that she would pursue a price on carbon.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GarryP
As it is, I have relatively little problem with costing the carbon pollution;
What do you think will happen to jobs in industries such as manufacturing? Actually, what do you think will happen to the manufacturing industry as a whole?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

What they are proposing is going to lead to ever increasing taxes and billion $ profits for bankers.
And a far bigger gap between the haves and the have nots.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

What do you think will happen to jobs in industries such as manufacturing? Actually, what do you think will happen to the manufacturing industry as a whole?
Exactly. The people proposing this are inner-city, champagne lefties - academics, politicians, bankers ie people out of touch with reality.

The UK is living proof of the fact that if you don't make/produce/mine stuff, then you ain't got shit.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rambi
Not sure which alternative reality you've come from but before the last election in this reality she said that she would pursue a price on carbon.
Quote Julia Gillard pre-election 2010 "I rule out a carbon tax".

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1225907522983

Is that clear enough for you?

Also another Gillard quote from 16/08/10 "There will be no carbon tax under the government I lead".

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Feb 25th 2011 at 2:04 am.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

The UK is living proof of the fact that if you don't make/produce/mine stuff, then you ain't got shit.
I was going to mention the UK. Predominantly financial services now with a decimated industrial/manufacturing sector. No wonder the economy is up shit creek!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

As per my previous post, manufacturing in Australia is currently screwed anyway, far worse than the UK, US etc - only Greece is doing worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.