Car registration

Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:34 am
Just Joined

charliegee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car registration

Could someone advise of how the yearly car registration works and how much it costs per vehicle.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car registration

Originally Posted by charliegee
Could someone advise of how the yearly car registration works and how much it costs per vehicle.
You register the car for a year, just like road tax. Cost depends on number of cylinders / capacity, but about $500 a year which includes third party personal insurance (for damage to people not property).
Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:44 am
Just Joined

charliegee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
You register the car for a year, just like road tax. Cost depends on number of cylinders / capacity, but about $500 a year which includes third party personal insurance (for damage to people not property).
Thanks, would I be correct in assuming that the insurance can be topped up to fully comprehesive if this is the case.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charliegee
Thanks, would I be correct in assuming that the insurance can be topped up to fully comprehesive if this is the case.
Yes. You can top it up to third party / fire / theft or fully comp.

If you're after a number, think of what you pay in pounds and change the pound sign to a dollar sign.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

The cost varies from state to state also.

Here in WA, you get a letter through the post every six months or year and you can pay it on-line if you wish via Credit Card - none of this finding a post office that actually DOES car tax and then finding your insurance details and MOT [no MOT here which explains all the old junk boxes on the road, including mine !]
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:41 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. You can top it up to third party / fire / theft or fully comp.
The insurance that you are talking about is a extra cost to the one you pay for with your rego.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Bloke
The insurance that you are talking about is a extra cost to the one you pay for with your rego.
That's right. So not exactly a top up, but in addition to.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:55 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

That's right. So not exactly a top up, but in addition to.

I was just clarifying for the OP, who seemed to think the extra comprehensive insurance was part of the rego by the way he wrote the question.

BTW, I thought you were going to Gilhooleys?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I was just clarifying for the OP, who seemed to think the extra comprehensive insurance was part of the rego by the way he wrote the question.

BTW, I thought you were going to Gilhooleys?
Apologies, crossed wires.

If I'd been in town I probably would have, but working from home today and a long way from the CBD.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

hagueok is just really nicehagueok is just really nicehagueok is just really nicehagueok is just really nicehagueok is just really nicehagueok is just really nicehagueok is just really nicehagueok is just really nice

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
[no MOT here which explains all the old junk boxes on the road, including mine !]

sorry was reading the old posts ,no mot??
having done mots every year i am getting my head around this , can sombody tell me how and who checks that the cars are roadworthy?
is it as simply as taking your v5 and cash to the office and they give u number plates??
what if the car is like freds and has no floor? put cardboard over it and go .
or am i missing lots?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 10:22 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hagueok
sorry was reading the old posts ,no mot??
having done mots every year i am getting my head around this , can sombody tell me how and who checks that the cars are roadworthy?
is it as simply as taking your v5 and cash to the office and they give u number plates??
what if the car is like freds and has no floor? put cardboard over it and go .
or am i missing lots?
No I think you've got it bang-on. There are no checks for roadworthyness, just your responsiblity to make sure it's safe. Scary, huh?!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 10:32 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
No I think you've got it bang-on. There are no checks for roadworthyness, just your responsiblity to make sure it's safe. Scary, huh?!
when a vechile is sold it has to be tested as road worthy this applies to private sales as well
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:54 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve`o
when a vechile is sold it has to be tested as road worthy this applies to private sales as well
Yea, but what I meant was but you can pretty much own the car forever without having any safety checks on it. Whereas some of us might not dream of not having our car checked out regularly there are plenty of people out there who don't give a toss but we still have to share the roads with them. That's what I meant by scary. I guess it's the more irresponsible owners that CTP was introduced for. CTP doesn't count for much if responsible people are being killed by other peoples unroadworthy cars though.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Random vehicle checks in car parks (tyres etc) and on roads - they have occasional blitzes and you can get an unroadworthyness ticket. I seem to get checked about once a year just driving around Canberra.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 2:55 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Random vehicle checks in car parks (tyres etc) and on roads - they have occasional blitzes and you can get an unroadworthyness ticket. I seem to get checked about once a year just driving around Canberra.
I saw an old car the other day pull up at e supermarket, women and three kids got out, anyway I noticed the tyres were bald to thepoint where the metal was sticking out, shocking.

I reckon although it is a cost yearly roadworthy tests should be compulsory.