Reload this Page >

Car Hire-airport or downtown?

Car Hire-airport or downtown?

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

rachyj will become famous soon enough
Default Car Hire-airport or downtown?

Hi All

We will be landing into Brisbane on 12th April and are after your thoughts of whether it is better to hire a car from the airport in advance (for straight after we land) or whether we should arrange our car hire locally the following day? We did get a rate through Brisbane rentacar which was good, but because we dont land until 19.25pm, by the time we get through customs etc we would be classed as 'out of hours' so we would then have to jump in a taxi to the car office which they advised would be around $25-5km away. I know this doesnt sound a lot, but with a 2 year old after a long flight-it may be very hard work. We are now wondering if it is best to arrange for a one way transfer from the airport to Eight Mile Plains (where we will be staying) and then hire a car once we are there?

Does anybody know if this will be a cheaper option? Ive read somewhere that hiring from an aiport is more expensive?

I would be really greatful for any feedback
Thank you
Rachy x
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:31 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Hire-airport or downtown?

http://www.abel.com.au/

Airport location with shuttle to the car rental pick up. Good rates. Although don't forget to factor in insurance in addition. In Australia they will all offer CDW but it will be a stupid excess like $3000 unless you pay for the premium cover.
Old May 31st 2010, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

wondering is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello: I made a reservation with Thrifty for 2 weeks for my arrival next august. The quote that I got does not mention insurance. I know in the USA you can get the basic insurance and if you give your Visa CC, CDW may be decline and Visa will cover if something happen to the car.

I do not know how it works in Australia, are there any car rentals expert out there? Any tips? I don't want any surprises!!!

Thank you!!
Old May 31st 2010, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

We used Abel in 2006 and they were none too reliable, although cheap. I also remember something in the press about the owner but can't remember the details - a search on here should bring it up.

We have done both, with a 2 year old, then with 2 little ones. I would say just pay the extra and pick the car up from the airport. So much less hassle.......

We used Hertz and got a good deal. Have used them more than once and always efficient and helpful...........
Just my own thoughts....

Last edited by itigo; May 31st 2010 at 3:18 am. Reason: addition
Old May 31st 2010, 3:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Car hire offices at airports charge higher rates than city offices. If you're arriving late after a 24 hour flight I'd go for a taxi to Eight Mile Plain and then get a car the following day. Driving around an unknown city after dark and after a long tiring flight is not a good idea imo.
Old May 31st 2010, 3:41 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

1) Abel are known to rip off customers by not recording minor dints prior to pick up and then charging you on return. treat with caution

2) Non-airport hire cars may be ever so slightly cheaper - but not much - and the cost of getting out of the airport in a taxi might make it useless anyway.

3) Look carefully at the length of your hire. My parents recently hired a car in Sydney for 6 days - when they enquired about the time to return it things werent going to be as convenient as they hoped so they saked how much it would cost to hire for an extra day. The answer: $35 CHEAPER!!!! (daily rate for 7 day hire was less then daily rate for 6 days)

This mob are pretty decent for comparing the rates of the main players in eth rental business:
http://oodles.com/

Personally I'd NEVER take hire car insurance it'll cost a FORTUNE. Just drive carefully and dont crash!
Old May 31st 2010, 4:39 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Car hire offices at airports charge higher rates than city offices. If you're arriving late after a 24 hour flight I'd go for a taxi to Eight Mile Plain and then get a car the following day. Driving around an unknown city after dark and after a long tiring flight is not a good idea imo.
I agree with you that I'd usually prefer to take a cab rather than drive myself after that long a flight but just IME it's not always but usually true that airport car hire costs more than city car hire. I've had a couple of occasions recently where it was the other way around. The only way to tell is to search both ways.
Old May 31st 2010, 5:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
1) Abel are known to rip off customers by not recording minor dints prior to pick up and then charging you on return. treat with caution

2) Non-airport hire cars may be ever so slightly cheaper - but not much - and the cost of getting out of the airport in a taxi might make it useless anyway.

3) Look carefully at the length of your hire. My parents recently hired a car in Sydney for 6 days - when they enquired about the time to return it things werent going to be as convenient as they hoped so they saked how much it would cost to hire for an extra day. The answer: $35 CHEAPER!!!! (daily rate for 7 day hire was less then daily rate for 6 days)

This mob are pretty decent for comparing the rates of the main players in eth rental business:
http://oodles.com/

Personally I'd NEVER take hire car insurance it'll cost a FORTUNE. Just drive carefully and dont crash!
I've noticed this for a car I've hired for our upcoming trip to Germany. We only need a car for Monday to Saturday, but it is the same price as hiring it for Saturday to Saturday (so 2 extra days free in reality). Bizarre.
Old May 31st 2010, 10:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by itigo
We used Abel
I gasped at that point........ Yes, they are cheap.... but ....

I also recall reading some news articles about them, including this: http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/abel.htm

However, times can change... ...

Old May 31st 2010, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The extra daily rate to bring down the crash excess can often be avoided as it is covered on some travel insurance policies. Just means if you do crash you have to fork out the $3000, for example, up front and then claim it back on your insurance once you get home. As someone said some credit card policies may cover as well.