Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Can you give me some interview advice?

Can you give me some interview advice?

Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Can you give me some interview advice?

So I have my first Oz interview on Tuesday

Not sure how things go but the pay rates are the thing that I am most concerned about. The ad says hourly rates of $lower rate to $higher rate. Does it come down to what the employer thinks you are worth or do I justify what pay rate I want?

I can't feasibly work for the lower rate and need the higher rate to cover transport and the non-resident tax rates that the government impose.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:53 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you give me some interview advice?

Sorry I can't help with the pay rates 'cos I'm over here but I just wanted to wish you luck for the interview

Julie. x
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat

Not sure how things go but the pay rates are the thing that I am most concerned about. The ad says hourly rates of $lower rate to $higher rate. Does it come down to what the employer thinks you are worth or do I justify what pay rate I want?

I can't feasibly work for the lower rate and need the higher rate to cover transport and the non-resident tax rates that the government impose.
Well, it depends how good you are? I'd say, if you're good, take a 3 month temp contract at close to the lowest rate, blow them away at how good you are for 3 months, and then when it comes to renewal, demand the upper rate.

Then repeat! repeatedly.

JTL
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

A thing I've heard is not to bring up money issues in the first interview - I dunno how you feel about that? Not sure how I feel about it either!! Play it by ear when you're in there, but practice some answers first ("so Kingseat, looking at your Resume (as dey say), we'd like to offer you $5 an hour, how do you feel about that?!"). Note - do not go for your first answer, you might be out on your ear before you know it Best of luck

cheers
shears
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:48 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

It would be dependent on your skills and what you bring to the organisation. If you have the necessary skills and experience that are higher than the norm then you should be entitled to the higher rate. I would never EVER bring up money in the first interview. Generally I don't discuss it until the employer brings it up and even then I won't agree to anything on the spot. Money can be left for negotiation once you have been offered the position. Why bring it up when you may not even have the job.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

My approach is to go into interviews wow them with my knowledge and experience. When offered the job turn it down on the basis of the salary/rate being too low. They almost always manage to increase the offer. When contract renewal comes up always make sure you have other options and demand an increase with the threat of walking out if they don't pay up. Again they usually find the money.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:08 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Good tips above

I just want to say good luck with your interview
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Go in and really sell yourself. You need to show them you're worth paying at the higher rate.

Prepare some examples of previous situations ahead of the interview (teamworking, organisational skills, influencing people), and do some research on the company you're interviewing with - these are 2 things that I can recommend specifically from the recruitment process I've just gone through for my new job.

They're big on the STAR criteria for giving examples in recruitment:
Situation – provide a brief outline of the situation or setting
Task – outline what you did
Approach or action – outline how you did it
Result – describe the outcomes.

Also a big thing is showing real enthusiasm for the role you're interviewing for.

Good luck
Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck, just wanted to point out that you should not be on the non-residents tax. You MAY be put on it by your employer initially (I was, hubbie wasnt), if so. . .fill out the form on ATO, can't remember which, you are entitled to claim as being a resident for tax purposes as you are on a student visa.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by isgraham
My approach is to go into interviews wow them with my knowledge and experience. When offered the job turn it down on the basis of the salary/rate being too low. They almost always manage to increase the offer. When contract renewal comes up always make sure you have other options and demand an increase with the threat of walking out if they don't pay up. Again they usually find the money.
I did that in Sydney too. I recall one job, that I didn't really want, so I asked for a higher rate than they indicated, which they surprisingly agreed to, so i quickly added, "and a company car" I knew that would stop them... I spent two years working for them almost full time !!! It ended up being too much to turn down. It turns out they had got references on me !

I am not sure the employment market is quite as good these days though.

Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:04 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I did that in Sydney too. I recall one job, that I didn't really want, so I asked for a higher rate than they indicated, which they surprisingly agreed to, so i quickly added, "and a company car" I knew that would stop them... I spent two years working for them almost full time !!! It ended up being too much to turn down. It turns out they had got references on me !

I am not sure the employment market is quite as good these days though.
It always pays to not want the job too much.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mandyp
Good luck, just wanted to point out that you should not be on the non-residents tax. You MAY be put on it by your employer initially (I was, hubbie wasnt), if so. . .fill out the form on ATO, can't remember which, you are entitled to claim as being a resident for tax purposes as you are on a student visa.

Cheers
Mandy

Thanks Mandy. I read the ATO website and I am sure it said being not a permanent resident meant my tax rate was a flat 29 cents for every dollar.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:19 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks Mandy. I read the ATO website and I am sure it said being not a permanent resident meant my tax rate was a flat 29 cents for every dollar.
Australian Tax Resident
If you are visiting Australia for more than six months, and for most of that time work in the one job and live at the same place, you are generally an Australian resident for tax purposes.

Non Resident for Tax
If you are holidaying in Australia, or are visiting for less than six months you are generally NOT an Australian resident for tax purposes.
If you are a non-resident for the full year, then the Non Resident Tax rates apply:

PR or Temp Visa does not relate to Tax Residency.[/url]

Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

I actually phoned ATO at the time to confirm, and double check the form that i needed to fill in, and she actually stated that being here on a student visa ment that you were classed as a resident for tax purposes.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Brilliant. Thank you!