Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Can you define wealth?

Wikiposts

Can you define wealth?

Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:21 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you define wealth?

Originally Posted by sammax
So he's wugly.
Almost, it has a silent 'f' at the front
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Wealth is something that gets you a house in a 'good' suburb of Melbourne and a LandRover for the country.
In today's society that's called debt.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Almost, it has a silent 'f' at the front
So, fwugly.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Wealth is a subjective but to me it would be having enough money not to worry about what you are buying (within reason) over and above that you are probably rich.

On reading through this thread and other peoples perception of wealth I would probably be considered wealthy. However, whilst I accept that I am comfortably off, I do not, by any stretch of the imagination, consider myself wealthy.

My OH and I are both in our 40's and both are/were professional white collar workers, with careers that have, over the years, given us a good standard of living. We have enjoyed our life to the full but without incurring debt to do it. If we can't afford it then we either save for it or don't buy it.

We are both from the generation that saw the recession and property crash of the late 80's early 90's (in fact I cut my teeth as a young lawyer doing property repos for lending institutions) and therefore we are firm believers of putting something aside for a rainy day and not taking out a high mortgage account when interest rates are low.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Does it?

Only if you drink too much. There are diet versions available

Only if you don't brush your teeth.

Ironic that the primary ingredient (99%) of soft drink is...

Water.
According to a lot of reports over the years, yes it does leach calcium, causing osteoporosis and soft teeth - therefore no amount of brushing will stop the effects. Everything in moderation is fine. We have it at parties and that's about it.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Diet soft drinks are not necessarily the answer, more info here: http://www.healthy-kids.com.au/categ...et-soft-drinks
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Everything in moderation is fine. We have it at parties and that's about it.
Same with us and cocaine.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
Same with us and cocaine.
Can't do cocaine in our family either.....same family of drugs as a certain anaesthetic that causes our major organs to shut down immediately. Praise the lord we're okay for our Friday night dose of chocolate.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

In today's society that's called debt.
Even debt is shy to cover the <<<<<full price>>>>>. And 'wealth' is needed to cover the 10 or 20% deposit
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
A "wealthy" person has more money and assets that someone who isn't wealthy. Being "wealthy" is relative. You can't define it in terms of boats, houses, etc.... as it differs hugely from country to country.

You could probably say that the top 1%, or 3%, or 10% of earners in the country, are "wealthy".

Or perhaps you could talk about the assets that they own... or their equity. But it doesn't really matter- if they are at the top of the tree, then they are wealthy. Regardless of whether or not they themselves think so, or have the boats etc to prove it !
I agree with the above. It is such a relative perception. I hadn't thought much about it before and it's been a very interesting thread to follow. The Oxford dictionary defines wealth as "An abundance of valuable possessions or money". Now let's define abundance

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Good grief. If an income of $200k no longer qualifies as "wealthy", I must be several kilometres below the poverty line.
Again, it comes down to perception. And of course it's relative to what is around you. Here, I wouldn't say we are wealthy, although we are comfortable by all means.

I lived and worked in Bulgaria in the mid-90s and I was paid in France. My salary in French francs was pitiful by French standards (less than minimum wage - it was more like work experience type work), and my salary in Bulgarian leva was the same as any Bulgarian teacher. I was extremely wealthy by Bulgarian standards then (my French wages were worth more than a thousand times the Bulgarian ones!) even though by French standards, I would have been well below the poverty line... My monthly phone bill alone was as high as my Bulgarian salary for the month . I could afford to eat out every meal and to buy pretty much anything that took my fancy - not that there was much in the shops then. I doubt I will ever be in that position again, at least not in Australia or anywhere in the developed world.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that everybody's idea of who is wealthy and who isn't will always be different, and nobody's right or wrong in the matter.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:10 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Can you define wealth?

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
And of course it's relative to what is around you.
But we're all talking about what is around us in Australia, which means we have a common basis for comparison.

The average salary in Australia is $67,000. A salary of $200,000 is three times higher than the average, so it is difficult to understand how this cannot be accepted as a reasonable definition of "wealthy", if we're measuring solely by income.

You can't keep saying "it's all relative." Play that trick long enough, and you'll convince yourself that nobody's wealthy; not even Bill Gates, whose net worth is currently estimated at US$54 billion.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
But we're all talking about what is around us in Australia, which means we have a common basis for comparison.

The average salary in Australia is $67,000. A salary of $200,000 is three times higher than the average, so it is difficult to understand how this cannot be accepted as a reasonable definition of "wealthy", if we're measuring solely by income.

You can't keep saying "it's all relative." Play that trick long enough, and you'll convince yourself that nobody's wealthy; not even Bill Gates, whose net worth is currently estimated at US$54 billion.
Indeed, you make a good point. I think that when wealth is measured only by income and in financial terms, then we can agree that anybody on 3 times the national income is indeed wealthy. And as that was my original question, I completely concur with you on that point.

I guess my thinking started to stray into muddier waters when I started to apply a more emotional slant to it (which I stated I didn't want to do in the first place ), that of perception. And if we talk in terms of people's perception of what is wealth, even just material wealth, then it becomes relative, which we have seen throughout this thread. I'm turning all philosophical in my old age
Old Jan 29th 2011, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Even debt is shy to cover the <<<<<full price>>>>>. And 'wealth' is needed to cover the 10 or 20% deposit
And when you subtract the 80 - 90% debt from the 10 - 20% wealth, what are you left with?
Old Jan 29th 2011, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Good question Elice... I would have said until you stated you wanted to keep it materialistic, something about "Not wanting or needing anything" Talking from a purely financial perspective, I definitely wouldn't call 200K PA wealthy. I would struggle in my current family situation to do exactly what I wanted on that money. It probably is enough for a single person.

So for me being wealthy, would equate to working when you wanted, being able to go where you wanted... mostly overseas. Plus having enough for all ones material needs. Not even sure I would move from where I live now if I had all of that. I'd have a much better fitted out house though. I think 400K and my own business where I delegated via phone should be enough.

It's where greed comes in where the problem lies. IE: would you always travel 1st class on Long Haul or would business class be enough. Would you always want to eat 5 star or could a good meal in a decent restaurant be enough etc etc. Knowing when to stop, or your limits would be crucial in the wealth stakes I would think. Probably the difference between Wealthy and Rich that point.

Back to your original point, I certainly dont think 200k for a family is Wealthy... it's ok... We are certainly well short of that figure.

Re this levy... If my Accountant cant tweak that extra 1pct out of our tax deduction... I'll go hee in a game of tiggy.
Agreed - it's about freedom of choice really. (You can be relatively low income but by decluttering achieve the choices you want in turn.)

Wealth = assets minus debt.

Wealthy = lots of assets with zero debt.
The freedom of choice often comes from lots of assets which can be easily liquidated - and where debt can not bring the whole lot down easily. That's how I would amend that. Wealth is not about having 5 investment properties with 10k on each..but that is how it starts..

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Our government seems to think that anyone earning over $100k is wealthy, when in reality it's an okay but not great income. $200k is a great income but I don't consider it to be a 'wealthy' income. I earn a fairly high income, have little mortgage and no debt. I consider myself to be comfortably well off but not wealthy.

Wealth and materialism are important but being healthy, happy and a nice person are equally important.
Agreed. The most wealthiest people I know are the ones who have a bit of cash, security and are also happy with the way they spend money and use it.
And sometimes, that is not spending it. Assets paired with education is a beautiful thing.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 9:01 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Diet soft drinks are not necessarily the answer, more info here: http://www.healthy-kids.com.au/categ...et-soft-drinks
Thanks for the link. There I was thinking that diet soft drinks were a responsible alternative.