Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Can you define wealth?

Wikiposts

Can you define wealth?

Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:07 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you define wealth?

Originally Posted by hevs
Love u too Hevs
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:22 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Can you define wealth?

Originally Posted by hevs
You are welcome to join me with the swamp life
Delighted! Can't promise to dress for the occasion, but I'll bring what's left of the cooking sherry.

Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:29 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Delighted! Can't promise to dress for the occasion, but I'll bring what's left of the cooking sherry.

You and Mrs Vash have a date....you now just need to hitch to Mellie
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:54 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Can you define wealth?

Not sure the cooking sherry will last that long!

Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:50 am

citizenmarie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
On the radio this morning, a guy on the talkback called about the flood levy. I only heard a small extract of the call that was replayed but it sounded that he was against the levy. His point was that his family would pay an extra $2,000 in tax even though they had already donated $1,000 (which is very generous I might add ). The radio host (Jon Faine for those in Melbourne) pointed out that if they were going to pay $2,000, that meant they were on at least $200,000 per annum. The guy's answer was "yes, but we're not wealthy"

So the question I asked myself is "at what point do you consider yourself wealthy?"

To me, wealth (and I am talking about monetary wealth here, not emotional) is a combination of assets and disposable cash.

Personal example: We are a family of 4, one main income earner on $130-140k per year (although I've just started working 2 days a week so I now contribute a minute amount), with a largish mortgage ($450,000), some credit card debt, non-existent savings. We have no disposable cash by the end of the pay period, and we are struggling to save. I'm not complaining, just stating facts. We are working to change our spending habits, but the above is what our current situation is. I wouldn't say we are wealthy, but we are certainly not poor. We still manage to pay the bills, we can buy what we need most of the time, and sometimes what we want but not necessarily need.

I know everybody's idea of wealth is different and I wonder whether our perceptions of wealth get distorted. If you are on over $100k a year, are you wealthy? If you are on over $200k, are you wealthy? Or does it depend on your personal circumstances, such as the size of your mortgage, your car loans, etc.

*start rant*
TBH, if somebody on $200k/year came to me and told me they are not wealthy because they are repaying a $1.5 million on the house, $100k on a Porsche Cayenne (hate that car), and the private school fees, I'd be a bit peed off. In my opinion, they are wealthy and have just chosen to spend their money on expensive cars! Their choice, but don't come and tell me you're not wealthy!
*rant over*

So, wonderful people of BE, what is wealth? Is there a minimum amount of monetary wealth (assets and income combined) that makes you wealthy? Or is it all relative?
It seems to me that the cost of housing, and the basics, is now totally out of proportion to one's income. (I live in the USA).

My parents bought a house in 1970 (in England) for 5000 GBP. My dad, an accountant, would have earned on average 1500-2000 GBP a year in the 70s, (according to a little internet research). So his mortgage, and income for family of four kids, would have been very doable. He had a used car. We had all the BASICS. We weren't poor, but lower middle class. There was also a lot of free stuff in the 70s in England: free schooling through University, child benefits, school milk! We also ate very simply (meat and 2 veg) and never ate out... One bottle of Coke did the whole family once a week -- now the same size is for one person for a snack!

So there are a few of things there: reasonable housing costs, food costs, and not having a lot of things, and more help from the government -- in the past. We had the council estate on one side or our street and posh houses on the other.The posh people appeared "wealthy" to me: bigger house, private school, a new car.

Today, people want a lot of things. And life is expensive. In San Francisco I now earn over 100K (USD) and would still not be able to buy a house on my own -- as well as save money, pay for health etc. (But if I earned that salary in Idaho I would be wealthy -- but who wants to live there, and who would get that salary there? ) There''s no way I would buy a house rather than have that money going into savings and bills.

So salaries are not keeping up with basic human needs - housing, education, health (these things are through the roof in US) . But also people buy a lot more crap now: multiple cars, TVs, fancy cell phone plans, cable TV plans... They don't save, and they use credit cards.

I keep it pretty simple, have everything I need, and rent and take the bus. I like to save a lot for things I want to do, but have some nice basics like furniture and nice clothes. I've paid off most debt except graduate degree. It's a big thing for me to have the freedom to leave my job, or travel -- not have too much STUFF weighing me down, be they things, or banks, or ATT!

I hate to be tied down by stuff actually... Anyway, I would say I'm comfortable, that's all.

Wealthy to me would be if I had a house mostly paid off, good salary, plus savings, no debt. And feel taken care of into old age, health and quality of life wise. -- That's all --
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
Wealthy to me is when you don't have to go to work.
And have a steady stream of income.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief. If an income of $200k no longer qualifies as "wealthy", I must be several kilometres below the poverty line.

$200K is nothing these days. That's a good professional salary. Most of the guys I place into jobs have average salaries of around the $130 - $150K, $200 - $300K for contractors. I remember that being a millionaire meant you were filthy rich. Now you have to be a billionaire.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by citizenmarie
Wealthy to me would be if I had a house mostly paid off, good salary, plus savings, no debt. And feel taken care of into old age, health and quality of life wise. -- That's all --
It's impossible to have a house mostly paid off and no debt because a mortgage is debt.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:33 am
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Can you define wealth?

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
$200K is nothing these days.
It's more than three times the national average.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

It's more than three times the national average.
What does that tell you about the national average?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by citizenmarie
It seems to me that the cost of housing, and the basics, is now totally out of proportion to one's income. (I live in the USA).

My parents bought a house in 1970 (in England) for 5000 GBP. My dad, an accountant, would have earned on average 1500-2000 GBP a year in the 70s, (according to a little internet research). So his mortgage, and income for family of four kids, would have been very doable. He had a used car. We had all the BASICS. We weren't poor, but lower middle class. There was also a lot of free stuff in the 70s in England: free schooling through University, child benefits, school milk! We also ate very simply (meat and 2 veg) and never ate out... One bottle of Coke did the whole family once a week -- now the same size is for one person for a snack!

So there are a few of things there: reasonable housing costs, food costs, and not having a lot of things, and more help from the government -- in the past. We had the council estate on one side or our street and posh houses on the other.The posh people appeared "wealthy" to me: bigger house, private school, a new car.

Today, people want a lot of things. And life is expensive. In San Francisco I now earn over 100K (USD) and would still not be able to buy a house on my own -- as well as save money, pay for health etc. (But if I earned that salary in Idaho I would be wealthy -- but who wants to live there, and who would get that salary there? ) There''s no way I would buy a house rather than have that money going into savings and bills.

So salaries are not keeping up with basic human needs - housing, education, health (these things are through the roof in US) . But also people buy a lot more crap now: multiple cars, TVs, fancy cell phone plans, cable TV plans... They don't save, and they use credit cards.

I keep it pretty simple, have everything I need, and rent and take the bus. I like to save a lot for things I want to do, but have some nice basics like furniture and nice clothes. I've paid off most debt except graduate degree. It's a big thing for me to have the freedom to leave my job, or travel -- not have too much STUFF weighing me down, be they things, or banks, or ATT!

I hate to be tied down by stuff actually... Anyway, I would say I'm comfortable, that's all.

We didn't have soft drink in the house growing up and my kids don't now either. Leaches calcium from your bones, makes you fat and rots your teeth. Even if I was absolutely loaded, coke would be way down the list of my priorities......though a good bubbly may be somewhere near the top.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kim67
Leaches calcium from your bones
Does it?

makes you fat
Only if you drink too much. There are diet versions available

and rots your teeth
Only if you don't brush your teeth.

Ironic that the primary ingredient (99%) of soft drink is...

Water.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Wealth is something that gets you a house in a 'good' suburb of Melbourne and a LandRover for the country.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Nah, you mean ugly.
So he's wugly.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:18 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Does it?.
No it doesn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.