Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Can you define wealth?

Wikiposts

Can you define wealth?

Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you define wealth?

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Tell that to the global elite. How much tax do they pay with all their money stashed away in tax havens?

There are many tax havens that seem to do OK without forcing the people to cough up.
I'm confused. Are you saying you dont respect people getting away with not paying tax via loopholes or want to take advantage of these loopholes so you can go without paying tax?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I'm confused. Are you saying you dont respect people getting away with not paying tax via loopholes or want to take advantage of these loopholes so you can go without paying tax?
I didn't say either.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say either.
So I guess theres no reason to be grumpy about paying tax then.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

So I guess theres no reason to be grumpy about paying tax then.
Give me your money. If you don't you're going to go to jail.

What do you call that?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Give me your money. If you don't you're going to go to jail.

What do you call that?
Intimidation? You never told me what you wanted to money for. It might be in my favour.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

He's got (a bit) of a point. Look at this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rat...the_world#List

Hong Kong 0-15%
Switzerland 0-13.2%

Both wealthy countries. I'm sure they generate a lot of income due to increased economic activity that is a result of low taxation.

Personally, I would like to have no income tax but a much higher GST.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Intimidation? You never told me what you wanted to money for. It might be in my favour.
More like blackmail, extortion, prostitution or slavery.

Did you know that income tax didn't exist in the US until 1913. Did you also know that income tax in the UK didn't exist until 1799 and was originally brought in as a levy to pay for the war? (And they kept it)

How did they fund their infrastructure and services before that time? They must have had no roads or anything... How did they survive?

Income tax to fund things like infrastructure is populist propaganda as we already pay many indirect taxes including GST to fund such things.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
He's got (a bit) of a point. Look at this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rat...the_world#List

Hong Kong 0-15%
Switzerland 0-13.2%

Both wealthy countries. I'm sure they generate a lot of income due to increased economic activity that is a result of low taxation.

Personally, I would like to have no income tax but a much higher GST.
I think I would rather live in Switzerland.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:15 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
For Perth:
4x2 with a mortgage
2 newish cars
maybe a boat
private school fees
2 holidays a year - 1 longhaul
nice stuff in your house
not worrying about paying bills
not living month to month
modest debts

That's about it. May be different on the less affluent east coast.
PMSL!!! I know sereral people in Perth who would @ that! As for Mrs affluent Eastern state herself...... Please say that you are taking the piss? That to me, that is a wealthy lifestyle, not loaded Oprah lifestyle, but way more that comfortable! Take off the last 3...and first 4...and maybe we're talking
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

More like blackmail, extortion, prostitution or slavery.

Did you know that income tax didn't exist in the US until 1913. Did you also know that income tax in the UK didn't exist until 1799 and was originally brought in as a levy to pay for the war? (And they kept it)

How did they fund their infrastructure and services before that time? They must have had no roads or anything... How did they survive?

Income tax to fund things like infrastructure is populist propaganda as we already pay many indirect taxes including GST to fund such things.
Are you seriously comparing the needs of the UK in 1799 to Australia in 2011?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
The tax was handing over your money to highwaymen
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Did people need to eat then as they do now?

Did people need to work then as they do now?

Did people need to keep a home then as they do now?

Did people need freedom of movement then as they do now?

The only thing that's changed is technology. Our needs as a species hasn't.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Did people need to eat then as they do now?

Did people need to work then as they do now?

Did people need to keep a home then as they do now?

Did people need freedom of movement then as they do now?

The only thing that's changed is technology. Our needs as a species hasn't.
Our needs of a species always changes. Was there a need to cure aids back in 1799?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:27 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Unless it's a 2 dollar shop
Fair point!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Good question Elice... I would have said until you stated you wanted to keep it materialistic, something about "Not wanting or needing anything" Talking from a purely financial perspective, I definitely wouldn't call 200K PA wealthy. I would struggle in my current family situation to do exactly what I wanted on that money. It probably is enough for a single person.

So for me being wealthy, would equate to working when you wanted, being able to go where you wanted... mostly overseas. Plus having enough for all ones material needs. Not even sure I would move from where I live now if I had all of that. I'd have a much better fitted out house though. I think 400K and my own business where I delegated via phone should be enough.

It's where greed comes in where the problem lies. IE: would you always travel 1st class on Long Haul or would business class be enough. Would you always want to eat 5 star or could a good meal in a decent restaurant be enough etc etc. Knowing when to stop, or your limits would be crucial in the wealth stakes I would think. Probably the difference between Wealthy and Rich that point.

Back to your original point, I certainly dont think 200k for a family is Wealthy... it's ok... We are certainly well short of that figure.

Re this levy... If my Accountant cant tweak that extra 1pct out of our tax deduction... I'll go hee in a game of tiggy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.