Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Can you define wealth?

Wikiposts

Can you define wealth?

Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can you define wealth?

On the radio this morning, a guy on the talkback called about the flood levy. I only heard a small extract of the call that was replayed but it sounded that he was against the levy. His point was that his family would pay an extra $2,000 in tax even though they had already donated $1,000 (which is very generous I might add ). The radio host (Jon Faine for those in Melbourne) pointed out that if they were going to pay $2,000, that meant they were on at least $200,000 per annum. The guy's answer was "yes, but we're not wealthy"

So the question I asked myself is "at what point do you consider yourself wealthy?"

To me, wealth (and I am talking about monetary wealth here, not emotional) is a combination of assets and disposable cash.

Personal example: We are a family of 4, one main income earner on $130-140k per year (although I've just started working 2 days a week so I now contribute a minute amount), with a largish mortgage ($450,000), some credit card debt, non-existent savings. We have no disposable cash by the end of the pay period, and we are struggling to save. I'm not complaining, just stating facts. We are working to change our spending habits, but the above is what our current situation is. I wouldn't say we are wealthy, but we are certainly not poor. We still manage to pay the bills, we can buy what we need most of the time, and sometimes what we want but not necessarily need.

I know everybody's idea of wealth is different and I wonder whether our perceptions of wealth get distorted. If you are on over $100k a year, are you wealthy? If you are on over $200k, are you wealthy? Or does it depend on your personal circumstances, such as the size of your mortgage, your car loans, etc.

*start rant*
TBH, if somebody on $200k/year came to me and told me they are not wealthy because they are repaying a $1.5 million on the house, $100k on a Porsche Cayenne (hate that car), and the private school fees, I'd be a bit peed off. In my opinion, they are wealthy and have just chosen to spend their money on expensive cars! Their choice, but don't come and tell me you're not wealthy!
*rant over*

So, wonderful people of BE, what is wealth? Is there a minimum amount of monetary wealth (assets and income combined) that makes you wealthy? Or is it all relative?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you define wealth?

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
On the radio this morning, a guy on the talkback called about the flood levy. I only heard a small extract of the call that was replayed but it sounded that he was against the levy. His point was that his family would pay an extra $2,000 in tax even though they had already donated $1,000 (which is very generous I might add ). The radio host (Jon Faine for those in Melbourne) pointed out that if they were going to pay $2,000, that meant they were on at least $200,000 per annum. The guy's answer was "yes, but we're not wealthy"

So the question I asked myself is "at what point do you consider yourself wealthy?"

To me, wealth (and I am talking about monetary wealth here, not emotional) is a combination of assets and disposable cash.

Personal example: We are a family of 4, one main income earner on $130-140k per year (although I've just started working 2 days a week so I now contribute a minute amount), with a largish mortgage ($450,000), some credit card debt, non-existent savings. We have no disposable cash by the end of the pay period, and we are struggling to save. I'm not complaining, just stating facts. We are working to change our spending habits, but the above is what our current situation is. I wouldn't say we are wealthy, but we are certainly not poor. We still manage to pay the bills, we can buy what we need most of the time, and sometimes what we want but not necessarily need.

I know everybody's idea of wealth is different and I wonder whether our perceptions of wealth get distorted. If you are on over $100k a year, are you wealthy? If you are on over $200k, are you wealthy? Or does it depend on your personal circumstances, such as the size of your mortgage, your car loans, etc.

*start rant*
TBH, if somebody on $200k/year came to me and told me they are not wealthy because they are repaying a $1.5 million on the house, $100k on a Porsche Cayenne (hate that car), and the private school fees, I'd be a bit peed off. In my opinion, they are wealthy and have just chosen to spend their money on expensive cars! Their choice, but don't come and tell me you're not wealthy!
*rant over*

So, wonderful people of BE, what is wealth? Is there a minimum amount of monetary wealth (assets and income combined) that makes you wealthy? Or is it all relative?
Our government seems to think that anyone earning over $100k is wealthy, when in reality it's an okay but not great income. $200k is a great income but I don't consider it to be a 'wealthy' income. I earn a fairly high income, have little mortgage and no debt. I consider myself to be comfortably well off but not wealthy.

Wealth and materialism are important but being healthy, happy and a nice person are equally important.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz

*start rant*
*rant over*

Wealth = assets minus debt.

Wealthy = lots of assets with zero debt.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Wealth and materialism are important but being healthy, happy and a nice person are equally important.
I completely agree with that and that's why I was trying to keep the debate on a purely and basely material level

I consider we're OK financially, but certainly very wealthy in terms of everything else. We are healthy, happy, have great family and friends and are reasonably nice people
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Wealth = assets minus debt.

Wealthy = lots of assets with zero debt.
We are very poor then
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Well firstly, I'm all in favour of this tax. Forcing people into helping is important.

I'm single, have a respectable wage which is quite above the average. But, I can easily find myself broke. You can make yourself wealthy on most wages. You just have to live within the means that will make you rich. Being on 200k a year and not being wealthy should mean a waste of money going on things like massive tv's a new car every year etc.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:22 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I would define wealthy as being able to walk into a shop, seeing something that you like and saying, "I'll take that please" without having to ask how much it costs.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:23 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Being on 200k a year and not being wealthy should mean a waste of money going on things like massive tv's a new car every year etc.
That depends. If you have been earning $200k for a long time then you should be kind of wealthy, but if you are new to that kind of money, then you may not be. I work with loads of people who earn similar money (and more) and most have an average (but comfortable) lifestyle.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:23 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I would define wealthy as being able to walk into a shop, seeing something that you like and saying, "I'll take that please" without having to ask how much it costs.
I thought that was stupidity?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on circumstances really. I'd consider a single person on $100k a year to be pretty well off. Of course if that salary has to stretch to feed a family of 5 then it doesn't look so good. Some people could earn half that, be really frugal, save and buy a modest house. Or you could earn double that and piss it all up against a wall.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:26 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I thought that was stupidity?
Wealthy is being able to do it. Stupidity is just doing it anyway.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That depends. If you have been earning $200k for a long time then you should be kind of wealthy, but if you are new to that kind of money, then you may not be. I work with loads of people who earn similar money (and more) and most have an average (but comfortable) lifestyle.
Whats your definition of an average lifestyle?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:27 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

James Packer is wealthy.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:29 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Wealthy is being able to do it. Stupidity is just doing it anyway.
Fair point

We define 'comfy' as being at least 3 months ahead on the home loan repayments. Wealth is for people that can be arsed with 'investment properties' and all that jazz.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:30 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by brissybee
James Packer is wealthy.
Nah, you mean ugly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.