Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Can you buy the following items in Cairns?

Can you buy the following items in Cairns?

Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future
Default Can you buy the following items in Cairns?

Hi, I'm really looking forward to my new life in Oz, in Cairns, and im really looking forward to adapting to a new way of life and new cultures etc. BUT i was wondering whether the following items are available in Cairns/Brisbane/Queensland/Oz generally.

- Nivea pearl roll on deodrant!
- nestle rolo's!!
- Yorkshire Tea, tea bags (can you take these on a plane cause technically they are herbs/plants?)
- Jaffa cakes - or is there a nicer substitute?
- UK author books (or are they limited to Oz books?)

I did think of loads of others but I cant remember now! Feel free to add any others!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:13 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you buy the following items in Cairns?

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
Hi, I'm really looking forward to my new life in Oz, in Cairns, and im really looking forward to adapting to a new way of life and new cultures etc. BUT i was wondering whether the following items are available in Cairns/Brisbane/Queensland/Oz generally.

- Nivea pearl roll on deodrant!
- nestle rolo's!!
- Yorkshire Tea, tea bags (can you take these on a plane cause technically they are herbs/plants?)
- Jaffa cakes - or is there a nicer substitute?
- UK author books (or are they limited to Oz books?)

I did think of loads of others but I cant remember now! Feel free to add any others!
Yes
Yes
Yes
Not sure
Yes
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:16 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Yes
Yes
Yes
Not sure
Yes
my kind of woman

one that like to say yes alot

that or its an excert from "when harry met sally"
yes yes ooooo yes

Last edited by steve`o; Oct 15th 2008 at 11:22 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Aldi do an equivalant of jaffa cakes,never tried them myself but the eldest daughter likes them.Not sure if theres an Aldi in Cairns though.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o
my kind of woman

one that like to say yes alot
Old Oct 16th 2008, 3:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't be many books in the shops if they only sold Aus authors. They sell books by Americans as well but they're expensive so Amazon and others are your friends.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 9:15 am
Just Joined

tiernan will become famous soon enough

there is no aldi in cairns as far as i know (been here 9 months), could try the british lolly shop. quite a few book shops around, quite expensive but shop around.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiernan
there is no aldi in cairns as far as i know (been here 9 months), could try the british lolly shop. quite a few book shops around, quite expensive but shop around.
Jaffa Cakes usually on sale in Coles and BiLO in Brisbane, I'm sure they are around in Cairns somewhere.

And yes, you can bring tea in, try and rbing unopened packets though
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:48 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Wouldn't be many books in the shops if they only sold Aus authors. They sell books by Americans as well but they're expensive so Amazon and others are your friends.
reading the last rebus novel by ian rankin. deliberately held off in case it made me homesick , but it appears i have got away with it
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Are swim suits expensive to buy in cairns? my sister moved to auckland in NZ and said they were really expensive and made of really thin fabric.

I've heard that the cost of living is high, therefore are clothes expensive too? i cant decide whether to buy stuff here and ship/take it over in suitcase or to just buy a fresh in cairns. My current clothes really arent worth taking over so it'd be new here, or new over there...

Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:37 pm

Are swim suits expensive to buy in cairns? my sister moved to auckland in NZ and said they were really expensive and made of really thin fabric.

I've heard that the cost of living is high, therefore are clothes expensive too? i cant decide whether to buy stuff here and ship/take it over in suitcase or to just buy a fresh in cairns. My current clothes really arent worth taking over so it'd be new here, or new over there...

I once bought a swimming suit in Cairns. It was absolutely fine!
Probably wear out quickly due to sun... I've noticed that. Oh, and the fact that you wear them more often than you do in the UK.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I can sort of understand the need for having stuff around you that makes you feel at home but say you bring all these things that sisters and people have said you either can't get here or that they're crap. What happens when they run out/wear out. You're moving to another country - save time and effort and get used to what is sold here.

NZ is not Australia. Just because they may sell crap swimmers in NZ (I think she may possibly be generalising just a tiny bit) doesn't mean they will here.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:26 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I heard they were stopping selling swimsuits in Cairns

But don't worry cos Bunnings have stocked up with string.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Are swim suits snip and said they were really expensive and made of really thin fabric.

Some arent as thick as others ;-)

Thin is good ;-)

WW
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I can sort of understand the need for having stuff around you that makes you feel at home.

You're moving to another country - save time and effort and get used to what is sold here.
I'm not wanting stuff that is familiar to me - i.e. making me feel at home - that wasnt my intention. I am whole heartedly looking forward to tim toms/tom tims (??)

It was just that i had to post some swim suits to my sister, which is ok for me cause i just put them through the work post - but if i was needing something (eg. good swim suit) then who's gonna post it to me??!! Which is why its best to know now, rather than later...whether the swim suits are any good!

Perhaps i should phrase my question;

Is there anything that you wish you had brought out, but never? (i could perhaps then learn by your mistakes!).

I'm emigrating with one suitcase therefore space may/will be limited - i'm trying to weigh up what is essential, i.e. better in UK than Oz (eg. m & s cotton panties!). I guess its just the fear of the unknown - cause i havent visited before! - and will be travelling on thimble/almost nil funds!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.