Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Can you build roots in a new country?

Can you build roots in a new country?

Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Can you build roots in a new country?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Poms stress about this too much

Just live your lives and get on with it

Chill
I actually didn't stress but it did come as something of a surprise that I didn't feel a connection even over a good space of time.
I struggle with this.

Originally Posted by chris955
Its interesting really, I grew up in Australia and love many aspects of life there but never really thought of it as home but rather just somewhere I was living. We all feel so much more relaxed and at home here and cant honestly see us returning to Australia as the reasons we left will still be there. As you say some can and some cant.
Right oh. We hear you. We hear you. We hear you. We hear you. That's your bent.

You really need to give others a real space to express themselves without you always going on in the way that you do, about how it is for you. It is akin to hectoring.

Just saying.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

carolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond repute

Its interesting really, I grew up in Australia and love many aspects of life there but never really thought of it as home but rather just somewhere I was living. We all feel so much more relaxed and at home here and cant honestly see us returning to Australia as the reasons we left will still be there. As you say some can and some cant.
Chris, I thought you were English (icon, flag)

Were there some reasons in particular that helped you figure out why the UK was the place where you could grow roots? I'm wondering why it feels more like a home opposed to where you grew up
Old Sep 9th 2014, 4:24 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolina212
Chris, I thought you were English (icon, flag)

Were there some reasons in particular that helped you figure out why the UK was the place where you could grow roots? I'm wondering why it feels more like a home opposed to where you grew up
I went to Australia when I was 18 months old so to all intents I am Australian, had a great childhood and would never have considered living anywhere else but my parents went back to England for a few years and I finished my schooling here and it just felt 'right' here. After finishing school I went back to Australia and had a few stints in the UK over the years, a few years ago we decided we just felt more at home here and moved over, the rest is history
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:12 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Australia when I was 18 months old so to all intents I am Australian, had a great childhood and would never have considered living anywhere else but my parents went back to England for a few years and I finished my schooling here and it just felt 'right' here. After finishing school I went back to Australia and had a few stints in the UK over the years, a few years ago we decided we just felt more at home here and moved over, the rest is history
Ach never mind son, we can't all be perfect
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Ach never mind son, we can't all be perfect
.....and a Scotsman would know
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:20 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
.....and a Scotsman would know
As would an Irishman