Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend a Gym in Cairns?

Can anyone recommend a Gym in Cairns?

Old Dec 1st 2007, 6:43 am

jackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nice
Thumbs up Can anyone recommend a Gym in Cairns?

I need to find a gym in Cairns . Anyone?
Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone recommend a Gym in Cairns?

Originally Posted by jackass
lol, are you getting out of shape? Would've thought the humidity at the mo' would help do the job of a nice outdoor sauna...
Old Dec 1st 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

I've looked at loads of gyms here, though I'm not a member of one yet. These suggestions are just made from looking at them.

I would suggest Sportsworld on the corner of Brown & Gatton Streets in Westcourt, Active Health on Pease Street Edgehill or possibly Genesis Fitness on Lake Street in the city (though they didn't give me a job there )

If you've used a big gym chain in the UK the independantly owned ones in Cairns are 'different' to say the least IMO.

Also check the pricing because stuff you would expect to be included isn't always in the price.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 9:33 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

You getting a bit porky mate?

Old Dec 1st 2007, 9:43 pm

jackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nice

Originally Posted by LauraC
I've looked at loads of gyms here, though I'm not a member of one yet. These suggestions are just made from looking at them.

I would suggest Sportsworld on the corner of Brown & Gatton Streets in Westcourt, Active Health on Pease Street Edgehill or possibly Genesis Fitness on Lake Street in the city (though they didn't give me a job there )

If you've used a big gym chain in the UK the independantly owned ones in Cairns are 'different' to say the least IMO.

Also check the pricing because stuff you would expect to be included isn't always in the price.
oh YAY you!@ many thanks have you seen the onese on trinity or smithfield!! coast fitness and emerge for life i think they are called??

i think sportsworld has a pool doesnt it?
Old Dec 1st 2007, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
You getting a bit porky mate?

middle age spread mate - you must be familiar with that
Old Dec 1st 2007, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by tonyk38
lol, are you getting out of shape? Would've thought the humidity at the mo' would help do the job of a nice outdoor sauna...
i was going to take a walk (bought a map!!) and then i realised i must be mad in this weather!!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 9:49 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

i was going to take a walk (bought a map!!) and then i realised i must be mad in this weather!!
Rachel went for a run about an hour a go and she's still bright red.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
Rachel went for a run about an hour a go and she's still bright red.
i did that once. thought we were going to need an ambulance
Old Dec 1st 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

oh YAY you!@ many thanks have you seen the onese on trinity or smithfield!! coast fitness and emerge for life i think they are called??

i think sportsworld has a pool doesnt it?
Emerge for life is very small but usable, it also has a creche if that's important. No pool and it's on an industrial estate. I quite liked Coast Fitness in Trinity Beach, down the side road. It has a small pool.

Sportsworld has a big pool and a sauna.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 11:30 pm

Emerge for life is very small but usable, it also has a creche if that's important. No pool and it's on an industrial estate. I quite liked Coast Fitness in Trinity Beach, down the side road. It has a small pool.

Sportsworld has a big pool and a sauna.
Great! thanks. i like the idea of a big pool but northern beaches is a lot more convenient for me as i am at jcu and youngest is at armadillo childcare so i think i might give coast fitness a look see.

i wasn't going to bother posting a thread because i didnt think anyone would respond - glad i did now!! cheers

Thanks a million!!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Great! thanks. i like the idea of a big pool but northern beaches is a lot more convenient for me as i am at jcu and youngest is at armadillo childcare so i think i might give coast fitness a look see.

i wasn't going to bother posting a thread because i didnt think anyone would respond - glad i did now!! cheers

Thanks a million!!
You're welcome
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 1:21 am

You're welcome
Well I just rang Coast Fitness and was told they close at 11 am on sunday and he didnt sound as though he wanted my business so i will be looking elsewhere! going to give sports world a ring next!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Well I just rang Coast Fitness and was told they close at 11 am on sunday and he didnt sound as though he wanted my business so i will be looking elsewhere! going to give sports world a ring next!
Crap of them! Oh well, if that's how they are you probably are better taking your money somewhere else.

Coast Fitness do have funky opening hours. 8-11am on sundays and they close for half the day, about 12-5 on fridays. Very odd because from experience evenings and weekends are the busiest times in gyms! And weekends are when most people sign up.

Bear in mind the gyms around here don't have a lot of staff in them, usually one gym instructor who is also a receptionist/sales person. They seem to spend most of the time at the reception.

EDIT: Just remembered, there's a gym in the Campus Shopping centre across the road from JCU. Could be worth a look.

Last edited by LauraC; Dec 2nd 2007 at 3:26 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:49 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

You should head up the Red Arrow. It'll soon have you fit, or gasping for oxygen every 10 metres or so like me....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.