Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Camping in Aus - good idea or too hot?

Camping in Aus - good idea or too hot?

Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Nicholson_family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Camping in Aus - good idea or too hot?

Hi,
We're still in UK currently, due to migrate 2009, and we're planning a camping holiday in Europe this year. The question came up as to whether we could buy an Aussie-proof tent rather than one which we'd have to sell before we move.

So, any former campers from the UK out there? If we buy a decent Outwell polycotton tent (i.e. the Wolf Lake) which has all the mesh doors and sewn-in groundsheet and looks bug proof, would that be suitable for us to bring and use in Aus (NSW or Victoria)?

I can imagine that camping in temperatures above 35c is impossible, but apart from the mid-summer is camping generally a good thing in Australia?

Thanks,
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all
Default Re: Camping in Aus - good idea or too hot?

we lived in Adelaide for 5 years and went camping on average once a month. Yes there were occasions of 35oC plus heat but it was just an excuse to have another cold beer. We are moving back in 3 months time and we have got a camper trailer ready to be collected the minute we get off the plane. Good luck our childen absolutelt love it and so do we.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Location: West Sussex till end of 2009- then somewhere sunnier
john& becky is an unknown quantity at this point

I presume its worth investing in a decent tent though? We bought a Halfords £100.00 job, don't suppose it'll cut the mustard in Queensland. Don't want any spiders paying a visit in the dead of night!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john& becky
Don't want any spiders paying a visit in the dead of night!
I'll be investing in a shotgun for those occasions!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:37 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nicholson_family
Hi,
We're still in UK currently, due to migrate 2009, and we're planning a camping holiday in Europe this year. The question came up as to whether we could buy an Aussie-proof tent rather than one which we'd have to sell before we move.

So, any former campers from the UK out there? If we buy a decent Outwell polycotton tent (i.e. the Wolf Lake) which has all the mesh doors and sewn-in groundsheet and looks bug proof, would that be suitable for us to bring and use in Aus (NSW or Victoria)?

I can imagine that camping in temperatures above 35c is impossible, but apart from the mid-summer is camping generally a good thing in Australia?

Thanks,
Do a search for tents on Aussie ebay - they seem to have extra mesh to keep the insects out...
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:07 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We go camping quite often here in Qld. We have a Black Wolf 4 person tent, it's plenty big enough & looks no different to the U.K ones. Most have sewn in groundsheet & mossie nets in the window& door openings.
In summer it can get hot, most Aussies have a large tarp that they erect above their camping area. The tarp provides an under cover area away from the sun & also helps to keep the tent a bit cooler. Most camping shops sell silver tarps & the poles/guy ropes are all sold individually. Add a couple of decent eskies to keep beer & food cool & your sorted.
At the moment temps are a bit cool for camping, we've had a couple of frosts in the last week or so & sleeping out under canvas is reminiscent of the winter fell walking weekends of my youth, F cold
Next weekend will be our last camping trip of the winter. There's a nice little spot on the coast just 1/2 hr away that hosts a weekend fishing comp. Enough beer & rum & I'll not feel the cold
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Our tent was on sale at K-Mart for $135. It works just fine for us.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

We hired a camper van so not the same but just wanted to add how fab and well equipped the camp sites are in Oz. You just roll up and thats it......................no cavaran club crap!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:53 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Went camping in the NSW/QLD border ranges once in winter, I have never been so cold in all my life !

Originally Posted by Nicholson_family
Hi,

Thanks,
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:01 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Went camping in the NSW/QLD border ranges once in winter, I have never been so cold in all my life !

I went camping in the supposed summer in Tasmania. Still sanding off the goosebumps!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
I went camping in the supposed summer in Tasmania. Still sanding off the goosebumps!

Once did a survival training course in the Brecon Beacons and crossed a river with the water temp of 4 degrees I thought my balls would never reappear