Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Perth, driving to and living in Adelaide

Buying a car in Perth, driving to and living in Adelaide

Old Sep 20th 2011, 1:36 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Buying a car in Perth, driving to and living in Adelaide

Originally Posted by Sammi T
Like your sense of humour LOL

We can't find the registration, stamp duty costs etc when transferring a car to another state, we are deciding whether to buy a car in Perth and then drive from Perth to Adelaide or hire in Perth, drive hire car to Adelaide and buy in Adelaide. We are trying to compare the costs to work out the better option financially.

Hope the above makes sense
Hiring would be cheaper in the long run, and you'd get a reliable car with breakdown service. I'd go for that.

I did the trip in a 1994 Mazda 323F and it coped very well until the last stage of the last trip, when the gearbox chucked a wobbly and I lost 5th gear. Still had quite a few hundred kms to go, and it's no fun when your top gear is 4th!

Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in Perth, driving to and living in Adelaide

Like your sense of humour LOL

We can't find the registration, stamp duty costs etc when transferring a car to another state, we are deciding whether to buy a car in Perth and then drive from Perth to Adelaide or hire in Perth, drive hire car to Adelaide and buy in Adelaide. We are trying to compare the costs to work out the better option financially.

Hope the above makes sense

I moved from Qld to NSW recently and I wished I did what Vash has already suggested to you, to let the rego runs & a day after or a day before go & get your new rego done.
in Qld I paid around to $370 for 6 months. ( I'm still waiting for Qld in refund me on my rego which was used fully).

But when you move State you cant buy rego for 6 months it has to be for 12 months, around $500 I paid but before I can get the rego done, the car had to be fully serviced in NSW at $700, change of number plate I think it was close to $500.

( note different States has different prices for rego by the way, this is just to give you an idea.)

Petrol can be more expensive in more remote parts of Australia than cities, something to budgeted for.

Dont forget to get to a town before 5pm to get place to sleep as night time is pitch black & its very hard to drive, most small places have just small inns or something with not that many rooms so first one in basis.

we drove from Adelaide to GC & I thought that was boring, & we got done for speeding in middle of nowhere so do watchout for that too.

All I can say good luck.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:57 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Buying a car in Perth, driving to and living in Adelaide

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Dont forget to get to a town before 5pm to get place to sleep as night time is pitch black & its very hard to drive, most small places have just small inns or something with not that many rooms so first one in basis.
Great advice. I slept in the back seat of my car, but that was years ago when I was young and flexible. .

Driving at night is difficult, not just because it is very dark but also because it's when you're most likely to hit an animal, since most of them are nocturnal.

Oh yes, and... mobile phones. You won't get anything between towns on the Nullarbor.

This is Telstra's coverage map:

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Sep 21st 2011 at 9:05 am.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

toodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of light

Little different but we drove from Melbourne to Perth this July before coming to the UK in our 10 year old Mazda Tribute that was worth a lot less than 10k - it had 305000km on the clock!- you can buy same car in Perth for about 6-7k. It was an absolute dream to drive that distance in it - no problems whatsoever, those cars are made for distance driving. Interestingly I couldn't drive it to work for 30 mins in our last few weeks in Melbourne without the oil light coming on (garage couldn't find leak) yet it didn't come on at all during the trip to Perth!

We practically gave ours away to an auction place in Perth to sell - might be a good place to buy a car from? Can't remember the name of it but can ask the OH if you're interested.

I was dreading the whole trip as so many people told us we were mad to do it with our 2 children (aged 8 & 10) but it really was one of the easiest things we've done. We bought an iPad for the kids & downloaded movies for them to watch and had CDs for us. Easy

Last edited by toodlepip; Sep 21st 2011 at 9:14 am.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:06 pm
Sammi T

Sammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Hiring would be cheaper in the long run, and you'd get a reliable car with breakdown service. I'd go for that.

I did the trip in a 1994 Mazda 323F and it coped very well until the last stage of the last trip, when the gearbox chucked a wobbly and I lost 5th gear. Still had quite a few hundred kms to go, and it's no fun when your top gear is 4th!

Thanks for the info, we might very well decide to do that, sounds like it might be less stressful too, thanks again.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:08 pm
Sammi T

Sammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really nice

Originally Posted by toodlepip
Little different but we drove from Melbourne to Perth this July before coming to the UK in our 10 year old Mazda Tribute that was worth a lot less than 10k - it had 305000km on the clock!- you can buy same car in Perth for about 6-7k. It was an absolute dream to drive that distance in it - no problems whatsoever, those cars are made for distance driving. Interestingly I couldn't drive it to work for 30 mins in our last few weeks in Melbourne without the oil light coming on (garage couldn't find leak) yet it didn't come on at all during the trip to Perth!

We practically gave ours away to an auction place in Perth to sell - might be a good place to buy a car from? Can't remember the name of it but can ask the OH if you're interested.

I was dreading the whole trip as so many people told us we were mad to do it with our 2 children (aged 8 & 10) but it really was one of the easiest things we've done. We bought an iPad for the kids & downloaded movies for them to watch and had CDs for us. Easy
Sounds like you had a great time, thank you for the info, so much to think about. We are not afraid to take a chance with cars etc it pretty much comes down to costs.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:10 pm
Sammi T

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
I moved from Qld to NSW recently and I wished I did what Vash has already suggested to you, to let the rego runs & a day after or a day before go & get your new rego done.
in Qld I paid around to $370 for 6 months. ( I'm still waiting for Qld in refund me on my rego which was used fully).

But when you move State you cant buy rego for 6 months it has to be for 12 months, around $500 I paid but before I can get the rego done, the car had to be fully serviced in NSW at $700, change of number plate I think it was close to $500.

( note different States has different prices for rego by the way, this is just to give you an idea.)

Petrol can be more expensive in more remote parts of Australia than cities, something to budgeted for.

we drove from Adelaide to GC & I thought that was boring, & we got done for speeding in middle of nowhere so do watchout for that too.

All I can say good luck.
Cheers for that, some things to take on board and factor in, thanks.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that, some things to take on board and factor in, thanks.
Just another thing that occurred to me - end of January/beginning of February is going to be scorching so you'll want reliable aircon and slip slap slop!

Oooh, and if you're thinking of hiring, try these guys.........
standbyrelocs.com A friend of a friend has used them. I think there are probably a few companies out there...........found one that may be suitable for you guys even if it is for now!

From Drop Off Location Earliest Pick Up Date Latest Drop Off Date
Perth Adelaide City NOW 5 Oct

Vehicle Type Days Allowed Cost Inclusions
2B ST 6 days $1/day $150 fuel, 3200km allowance

If you don't mind having the restrictions it's a cheaper way of doing it.......

Last edited by itigo; Sep 22nd 2011 at 3:57 am. Reason: I hadn't finished!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

the cheapest way is buy a car with adelaide reg in perth nobody wants them, then register it in your name when you get to adelaide. i bought a car registered in west australia when i was in sydney then traveled up to townsville across to darwin then down to perth. sold car 4 months later for $1500 more than i paid for it.

or as itigo said try, http://www.standbyrelocs.com/
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billymacker
the cheapest way is buy a car with adelaide reg in perth nobody wants them, then register it in your name when you get to adelaide. i bought a car registered in west australia when i was in sydney then traveled up to townsville across to darwin then down to perth. sold car 4 months later for $1500 more than i paid for it.

or as itigo said try, http://www.standbyrelocs.com/
I have visions of Sammi T and OH madly running after cars or stalking at shopping centres, trying to make offers to drivers with SA numberplates.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:23 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

Just a Thought, have you thought about driving a campervan/motorhome from Perth to Addie. The larger companies such as Apollo or Britz will actually pay you or your fuel or both to drive the campers back from one depot to another depot.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:37 am
Sammi T

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I have visions of Sammi T and OH madly running after cars or stalking at shopping centres, trying to make offers to drivers with SA numberplates.
Your comment did make us laugh, prob true though x
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:38 am
Sammi T

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
Just a Thought, have you thought about driving a campervan/motorhome from Perth to Addie. The larger companies such as Apollo or Britz will actually pay you or your fuel or both to drive the campers back from one depot to another depot.
Hi there,

Yes we had thought about it, but didn't know they might pay you to do the drop off, will definitely look into that one, thanks for the info x
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:49 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

Hi there,

Yes we had thought about it, but didn't know they might pay you to do the drop off, will definitely look into that one, thanks for the info x
try here

http://www.apollocamper.com/reloc.aspx

http://www.drivenow.com.au/onewayrentals.jspc

http://www.britz.com.au/relocatevehicles
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:54 pm
Sammi T

Thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.