Buy or rent?

Old Aug 25th 2008, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

sklinky will become famous soon enough
Default Buy or rent?

Here is a recent article I have found:
Rental yields to jump another 10% in 2009
The stage is set for a recovery in the Australia's housing market fuelled by extremely tight rental market and chronic undersupply according to an economist.
Savanth Sebastian, economist with CommSec said any downward pressure on interest rates is likely to a surge in people looking to buy their first home. "The calls for rate cuts as early as September are being voiced, and potential investors and homebuyers would not want to be caught napping," he said.
"In recent times a perfect storm of factors has ensured that the housing sector remains the least favoured asset class despite the high rental yields on offer. The home loan market has experienced its weakest start to a year in 19 years. The rate hikes have clearly done their part in spooking potential home buyers and investors from signing on the dotted line. Clearly rate hikes, rising living costs and high oil price have all adding to the stress on the household budget. The Reserve Bank has put rate cuts on the agenda - a far cry from the possibility of further rate hikes that homebuyers were faced with a couple of months ago."
This optimistic outlook comes despite the housing finance data showing the number of total housing finance commitments falling by 24.8% over the past year the biggest fall in 13 years.
"If Australia's population wasn't rising sharply, the fall in home lending would point to lower home prices. But the rental market remains extremely tight, with rental yields expected to jump a further 10% over the coming year," said Sebastian.
Sorry for the bad news!!!
Good luck
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice
Default Re: Buy or rent?

Originally Posted by sklinky
The stage is set for a recovery in the Australia's housing market fuelled by extremely tight rental market and chronic undersupply according to an economist.
Savanth Sebastian, economist with CommSec said any downward pressure on interest rates is likely to a surge in people looking to buy their first home. "The calls for rate cuts as early as September are being voiced, and potential investors and homebuyers would not want to be caught napping," he said.
"In recent times a perfect storm of factors has ensured that the housing sector remains the least favoured asset class despite the high rental yields on offer. The home loan market has experienced its weakest start to a year in 19 years. The rate hikes have clearly done their part in spooking potential home buyers and investors from signing on the dotted line. Clearly rate hikes, rising living costs and high oil price have all adding to the stress on the household budget. The Reserve Bank has put rate cuts on the agenda - a far cry from the possibility of further rate hikes that homebuyers were faced with a couple of months ago."
This optimistic outlook comes despite the housing finance data showing the number of total housing finance commitments falling by 24.8% over the past year the biggest fall in 13 years.
"If Australia's population wasn't rising sharply, the fall in home lending would point to lower home prices. But the rental market remains extremely tight, with rental yields expected to jump a further 10% over the coming year," said Sebastian.
Good luck
its funny that...this time last year similar things were being said about house prices here in Dublin...

a year on house prices are currently down some 12% ..and still nothing is selling...
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sklinky
Good luck
What bad news?? Just someone's opinion...means nothing. My 'opinion' is that prices will fall more!! (Doesn't mean i'm right)
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

btw we have just bought our own house here so at least my 'opinion' isn't biased - we just wanted to get out of rented and back into our own home..
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:26 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
btw we have just bought our own house here so at least my 'opinion' isn't biased - we just wanted to get out of rented and back into our own home..
i know how you feel, I knew we were right at the top of the market when we bought our house and sure enough it's probably worth 100k less that what we paid for it 18 months ago, but I don't care, I'd crawl naked over broken glass rather than be a tennant again. There's no 2 ways about it, renters are second class citizens here in Oz.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep -we are hppy with the price we paid - plus no more dodgy rental agents trying to screw you out of your bond etc. They really are lowlife over here. We had a blown bulb and they were trying to tell us it would cost us $60 call out plus bulb changing fee for an electrician...scumbags

Besides, you could sit waiting for prices to drop and you'll pay $20k in rent approx for the year in the meantime - something to take into consideration
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

we arere gonna rent for 6 months then buy i think.....

like everyone lelse has said i hate the fact two that i will be a tenent and its not my own place
Old Aug 25th 2008, 12:26 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Yep -we are hppy with the price we paid - plus no more dodgy rental agents trying to screw you out of your bond etc. They really are lowlife over here. We had a blown bulb and they were trying to tell us it would cost us $60 call out plus bulb changing fee for an electrician...scumbags

Besides, you could sit waiting for prices to drop and you'll pay $20k in rent approx for the year in the meantime - something to take into consideration
Were you expecting the agent to get a light bulb changed?

Bit like ordering more loo paper
Old Aug 25th 2008, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
There's no 2 ways about it, renters are second class citizens here in Oz.
Thanks! ...

We'd love to get back on that ladder, but as it stands we can rent for $400pw or buy the same house for $800pw. Funds really don't give us the latter option at the mo, but we just cross fingers for now and put up with the 'no you can't hang a picture on your wall' mentality! ... :curse:

One day maybe!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We've been in our rental forr nearly a year now and have managed to keep the rent at the same level, very nice agents and landlord. No complaints from us. Good experience so far!!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
very nice agents and landlord. No complaints from us. Good experience so far!!
Obv not stuck any nails in the wall then! ...
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Obv not stuck any nails in the wall then! ...
Not yet - but our 2 yr old has drawn on the wall, managed to get most of it off, and then he took a lump out of the wall whilst trying to push his car out through the patio doors (not picked up during the 3 month inspection) Plan to stay another 6 months at least so any deductions won't seem too bad after 18 months in the same house.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

sklinky will become famous soon enough

We have been renting while our house has been built and finally move in this weekend!!
Can't wait sooooooo excited!!!
We can finally get our things out of storage and live a normal life again!!
Now we can live our dream!!!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Were you expecting the agent to get a light bulb changed?

Bit like ordering more loo paper

no, the bulb was in a fitting that had 3 in, we just didn't realise it had gone. i had to drive up on my lunch break and change it....

Try not to make assumptions clever clogs

In our experience, the agents were tossers. they expected the garden to be done to a standard which it wasn't before and told us we had to have a pest as it was in the contract, however, there was no pest carried out when we moved in as there was a few too many cockroaches???
We did finally meet the owner who was very nice, but he wasn't who we delt with!!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:36 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

no, the bulb was in a fitting that had 3 in, we just didn't realise it had gone.
Still cannot see the issue??? If I was the landlord or agent I would say the same thing.

I agree whole heartly with all the other issues with agents (who are the bain of all our lives). But fairs fair, and blaming agents for electrical issues where you have not simply checked it needs a new bulb and then expect them to change it?

If the light fitting was more complicated say an inset halogen or florescent tube then fine - but surely you would mention that in the first place (on this thread).