Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bushfires... Hairbrushes

Bushfires... Hairbrushes

Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bushfires... Hairbrushes

I'm not making light of the situation in VIC, it's really terrrible. But on the news tonight, they said that donations were flooding in, and if people wanted to donate items, the 2 things they really needed were workmens boots and hairbrushes.

That sort of caught my ear. I can understand the workmens boots bit. But Hair brushes??

So I did a bit of research, and came up with this

http://canberra.iprime.com.au/index....-victims,37501

Woolworths has donated $1million to the Red Cross, as well as immediate practical support including 10,000 hairbrushes, 100 pallets of toilet paper, hundreds of empty boxes for families to store belongings, and a refrigerated truck to the Yea Relief Centre with ice, milk and ice-cream.

What is it with the hairbrushes?? I've lived 39 years without one. These people have their lives and home devastated, and immediately everyones sending them hairbrushes. They'll have a Woolies hairbrush, a Red cross hair brush, a McDonalds Hairbrush,

JTL
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bushfires... Hairbrushes

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I'm not making light of the situation in VIC, it's really terrrible. But on the news tonight, they said that donations were flooding in, and if people wanted to donate items, the 2 things they really needed were workmens boots and hairbrushes.

That sort of caught my ear. I can understand the workmens boots bit. But Hair brushes??

So I did a bit of research, and came up with this

http://canberra.iprime.com.au/index....-victims,37501

What is it with the hairbrushes?? I've lived 39 years without one. These people have their lives and home devastated, and immediately everyones sending them hairbrushes. They'll have a Woolies hairbrush, a Red cross hair brush, a McDonalds Hairbrush,

JTL
To give them a sense of dignity maybe?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMRE
To give them a sense of dignity maybe?
People forget the mundane day to day things they use. Like hair brushes, toothbrushes, deodorant. Those things are important for victims/survivors of tragedies to help bring a sense of normalcy back to their lives. And like you said, a sense of dignity. They've lost everything else they shouldn't have to lose the ability to practice some basic hygeine.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:46 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, reckon I'd be fretting about the basics- toothbrush, paste, soap, flannel and hairbrush are essentials- especially when you're having to live so communally.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of the most basic things would make me feel better about myself. Judging by the pictures I've seen, a wash and a hair brush would be high on my agenda. I hope they've now got plenty of tin openers. That's the thing that brought the whole thing home to me. Caring people sending in tins of food and no sodding way of opening them.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

I think a hair brush is a damn fine idea too, make them feel good for a moment at least, and you would so want to wash your hair too after all the fire and smoke wouldn't you.

Plants
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute

My work is doing a collection of toiletries for the victims, there is a van picking them up and taking them to Victoria. Anyway I was in supermarket tonight looking for things and hubby said "what about the blokes maybe they want to have a shave". I think it could be right nobody is thinking of the men give them a bit of dignaty as well. I have bought razors and shaving gel to send down.

Sunshine23
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:47 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

If anyone is near Carlton, then the YMCA are organising a van taking food supplies for bushfire relief. First van is scheduled to leave at mid-day tomorrow from Carlton Baths Community Centre on Rathdowne Street, VIC 3054.

Donations needed include:
Coffee Rice
Sugar Pasta
Tea Lollies
Milk (long life only) Biscuits
Water Potato Chips
Jams Texter’s
Honey Colouring Books
Vegemite Entertainment (teenage)
Tuna Sunscreen
Milo Talcom Powder
Soup Mens work socks
Baked Beans
Spaghetti
Can Tomatoes

I daresay if anyone has spare hairburshes they'll come in handy too....
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:49 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Hopefully you'll notice there should have been big spaces between some of those items on the list.... "vegemite entertainment" is a really odd thought....
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
People forget the mundane day to day things they use.
They do. Walk out into the bush in what you are standing.
Try and have a sh*t shower shave etc and keep clean. Everything is hard work.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Hopefully you'll notice there should have been big spaces between some of those items on the list.... "vegemite entertainment" is a really odd thought....
Tuna sunscreen would be an interesting one
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Saint Vincent de Paul in Belmont,Wa are organising containers to go over east.They are asking for hygenie products,tooth brushes etc,babies nappies,underwear,pyjamas,torches(no batteries)back packs,mobile phone chargers,kids school supplies and kids books.They request that all items are new.Also they are looking for people to pack the items.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PLANTS
I think a hair brush is a damn fine idea too, make them feel good for a moment at least, and you would so want to wash your hair too after all the fire and smoke wouldn't you.

Plants
Well yes but from my previous quote you will see Woolworths are donating 10,000 hairbrushes. In the Courier Mail today it say 1033 families have lost their homes. Thats almost 10 hairbrushes for each family that lost their home.

And on the TV last night they said Hairbrushes were the second most important thing they still needed donated.

I know what you mean, they need everything from toothpaste to razors to socks to hairbrushes.

My point is, I don't get the emphasis on hairbrushes, they've already got 10,000 heading towards them, and their asking for more, second only to workmens boots.

Actually the one item someone suggested to donate which I thought was quite good was pet food. Nobody thinks of that...

JTL
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:13 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Well yes but from my previous quote you will see Woolworths are donating 10,000 hairbrushes. In the Courier Mail today it say 1033 families have lost their homes. Thats almost 10 hairbrushes for each family that lost their home.

And on the TV last night they said Hairbrushes were the second most important thing they still needed donated.

I know what you mean, they need everything from toothpaste to razors to socks to hairbrushes.

My point is, I don't get the emphasis on hairbrushes, they've already got 10,000 heading towards them, and their asking for more, second only to workmens boots.

Actually the one item someone suggested to donate which I thought was quite good was pet food. Nobody thinks of that...

JTL
I saw on the news that Hills or one of the large pet food manufacturers has donated $10000 worth of pet food.