Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bulling English Children

Wikiposts

Bulling English Children

Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bulling English Children

Originally Posted by odyssey
I dont mind being called a pom, i cant see why it irritates really and i am welsh. in Sydney greek and other europeans regularly refer to themselves as wogs. pakistanis are called pakis in the cricket. Its different here, I think the issue with the children is perhaps they also dont understand the connotations fully and the way people react is often a pre-cursor to retaliatory actions.

I encourage my children to take a joke, be friendly and assertive but not necessarily confrontational. i think the way parents perceive what is going on also can influence the children to assume its a negative thing.

kids tease, thats normal. bullying is not but I meet lots of expats who really dont stop whinging and seem to leave their sense of humour at home - probably because they get here and it isnt a bed of roses and the stress is high.

I am not particularly arguing with the OP just musing you know.... my friend emelems has had issues wiht her children being bullied for being english. most people I know have kids who have settled in nicely. its hard to work out what the problem is btu any difference is a possible target for kids
Spot on, I have nothing else to add to this thread,
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Don't think I've come across "Potty" before... Does he have any other nom de plumes?
Ooops think i may have developed Dementia i forgot i was meant to be playing nicely...
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:53 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think I've come across "Potty" before... Does he have any other nom de plumes?
i meant the original post is potty, not the poster
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
i meant the original post is potty, not the poster
Never.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:57 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Never.

be nice
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Not taking yourself seriously and banter is part of living in Aus
So how come the Aussies are the first to get upset if anyone takes the piss out of them
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Grayling
So how come the Aussies are the first to get upset if anyone takes the piss out of them
If an Aussie or a Pom takes the piss they deserve a punch on the hooter. Most Aussies and Poms have a bit of banter, nothing other than that...
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

What goes around comes around surely, Our kids will grow into the culture of being called poms (right or wrong), it goes with the game i suppose.
Theres a case over here at the moment concerning an Australian man who got a job with a local council, he got the usual aussie fodder type jokes etc, at first he dealt with it after a while he got sick of it, so he reported the offending work mates for racial abuse, the case is pending has i type.
To be honest theres nothing wrong with 'banter', but when it starts to get personal then it has to be nipped in the bud i suppose.

Link to story here...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...depressed.html
don't you just love the mails approach to title choices
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:45 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Bulling: - Verb - colloquial Irish - the act of inseminating a cow using a "live" bull, as opposed to artificial insemination conducted by a vet.

really hope the Ozzies aren't bulling English children
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Bulling: - Verb - colloquial Irish - the act of inseminating a cow using a "live" bull, as opposed to artificial insemination conducted by a vet.

really hope the Ozzies aren't bulling English children
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

I thought bulling was the term for giving your boots a good polish?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=lancalot;9158208]The recent ashes tour has seen resurgence in abusive language against the British people, the use of the word Pom and all of the abuse that goes with it fueled by comments and advertisements by the media.
Two young girls who had recently arrived in our town from England were constantly referred to as the Poms by some of the children at the school that they were attending. The children were teased about the English not liking to wash very often etc.
Whenever they complained about the name calling or anything for that matter they were met by the chant of “winging Pomes”.
They eventually became tired of the constant name calling and started to retaliate by calling some of the other children Wogs and Abos .
The children who had been calling the English children Pomes complained to their teacher that the English children were using racist language .It was however only the English children that got into trouble for using racist language as the media used Pommes to describe the English cricketers.
How many other racial groups have to put up with these double standards?•
We try to set a good example to our children by not using words that hold others to ridicule and denigrate others yet some members of the media seam to encourage their use. Children get bullied enough at school without encouragement by the media
A significant number of English people find the term distasteful, derogatory and selectively racist.
On the 29th of September2006. a pole was held on win TV. On the today show Program . The viewers were asked the question “Is it OK to call English people Pomes” 15,898 people said that it not ok to do so.
The Oxford English Dictionary states that Pommy is as racist as Wog and Nigger etc. So why do we allow the double standards.
The English and Welsh ( Ernie Dingo referred to the Welsh people as pommes in his documentary on Wales) deserve the same respect as other people that happen to have been born in other countries.
As long as people tolerate being called pomes the abuse will continue.

I think the reason it is tolerated is because the words "Abbo" and "Nigger" were obviously used in a derogatory way due to skin colour, whereas P.O.M. is just an abbreviation. I, personally, don't take offence to being called a Pom, I even call myself a "Pommy", and my son uses that word in his email address. If "Pom" is really counted as racist, then surely the term "Aussie" is as well? and I am sure most Aussies don't take offence to that?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
What's racist about apples?
My French/English dictionary says pommes are apples
And there's no translation for bulling Is that the action of being a bull

Bulling IIRC is buffing to a high shine (as in shoes) - so I wondered who was polishing the English kids.

However, to the OP (serious or not) bullying is endemic in Australian schools so that is no surprise. Also, white Europeans can never be the victim of racist remarks (that's in the rule book!)
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by quoll
Bulling IIRC is buffing to a high shine (as in shoes) - so I wondered who was polishing the English kids.

However, to the OP (serious or not) bullying is endemic in Australian schools so that is no surprise. Also, white Europeans can never be the victim of racist remarks (that's in the rule book!)
Not even the French????
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:43 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
I thought bulling was the term for giving your boots a good polish?
that as well but I have minions to do that for me now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.