Wikiposts

Building a PC?

Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:29 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Building a PC?

Found this useful link for those looking to build their own desktop PCs and want the best bang-for-the buck. Includes an Australia option (and you can see how much more expensive we are than the US).

http://www.logicalincrements.com/
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building a PC?

Looks 5pct or so overpriced on the Aussie prices compared to MSY.

There again prices change every week and that list could have been compiled 3 or 4 weeks ago and the prices in all countries would have changed.

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:15 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Looks 5pct or so overpriced on the Aussie prices compared to MSY.

There again prices change every week and that list could have been compiled 3 or 4 weeks ago and the prices in all countries would have changed.

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf
Hmm, maybe a little over/under - consider it the cost of not having to deal with MSY/delivery cost. You can click through to where they got the price from, and the current level.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Hmm, maybe a little over/under - consider it the cost of not having to deal with MSY/delivery cost. You can click through to where they got the price from, and the current level.

Officeworks price match MSY, not sure whether people realise that... so thats another 5pct on some of the components.

I'm about 3K's from the Pascoe Vale branch, and although I dont have to pay delivery, your right about having to deal with them, as there is always and I mean always a 15 minute queue in there minimum.

So I always make sure to check price and stock availability at MSY then I head up to my local officeworks.

My latest purchase last week actually was a 4tb portable seagate expansion drive that Officeworks price matched with Stone computers in William St here in Melbourne.. 186 bucks.

Another way of trying to get cheap prices on some of the more popular components is to use Shopbot to price match, make sure it's a retail store that Officeworks are competing with...get the model numbers right and make sure the item is in stock at the competing shop.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Officeworks price match MSY, not sure whether people realise that... so thats another 5pct on some of the components.

I'm about 3K's from the Pascoe Vale branch, and although I dont have to pay delivery, your right about having to deal with them, as there is always and I mean always a 15 minute queue in there minimum.

So I always make sure to check price and stock availability at MSY then I head up to my local officeworks.

My latest purchase last week actually was a 4tb portable seagate expansion drive that Officeworks price matched with Stone computers in William St here in Melbourne.. 186 bucks.

Another way of trying to get cheap prices on some of the more popular components is to use Shopbot to price match, make sure it's a retail store that Officeworks are competing with...get the model numbers right and make sure the item is in stock at the competing shop.
Officeworks are awesome, they price match with no hassle and take off another 5%. Some of their prices are the lowest anyway

They are always my first port of call for tech
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:49 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

The one near me doesn't have a particular queue - but I was in there picking up a hard disk one time and the guy in front was trying to get a refund on a bunch of stuff that made up a system box, and that didn't work. They were refusing point blank - and they weren't at all 'customer service' about it either.

I go there for simple stuff, and I know I would give them hell if there was ever an issue, but for anything complicated or touchy - I wouldn't touch them.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
The one near me doesn't have a particular queue - but I was in there picking up a hard disk one time and the guy in front was trying to get a refund on a bunch of stuff that made up a system box, and that didn't work. They were refusing point blank - and they weren't at all 'customer service' about it either.

I go there for simple stuff, and I know I would give them hell if there was ever an issue, but for anything complicated or touchy - I wouldn't touch them.

Best thing about MSY, is they are the main competitive price setters for computer components in this country. Everyone who knows about them realises this. So look to them first and get your local computer store to price match them.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:58 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Best thing about MSY, is they are the main competitive price setters for computer components in this country. Everyone who knows about them realises this. So look to them first and get your local computer store to price match them.
Problem is, they are also the nearest proper store. And the less said about online in Oz, the better.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here's another useful online link.... Cheap on some things but not all. Cheapest Yamaha headphones in the Country AFAIK... Their bluetooth Audio adapter seems pretty good value as well.

http://www.exeltek.com.au
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I've always used www.megabuy.com.au Only problem I had was when a Lenovo laptop I bought off them went bad after 6 weeks. They were useless, in the end I just called Lenovo direct and they sorted it in 24 hours. But parts for systems and other odd bits have always been fine.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 6:27 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

I used msy in Brendale recently for a PC build $2k complete system. I'd heard about the customer service and they were busy a couple times but when it was a little quieter they were great. Discussed the specs and also offered advice - saved me $50 on the Mobo that got spent elsewhere instead. Can't fault them and the prices were the cheapest I could find.